Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gargoyle special touch
10-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Gargoyle special touch
If you can avoid the hits by the Gargoyle -do the special touch etc still take effect? I won my game on turn 11 and I played that if you avoid the hit, you avoid the spec tough/curse.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
RE: Gargoyle special touch
I don't recall the specific wording on the villain card - but, in general, you roll fight dice, then apply modifiers (abilities, cards, etc), then apply results. So it seems that if the hit becomes thwarted due to your modifiers then the result is not applied. I would think you played it correctly.
10-18-2012, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 04:54 AM by MoonSylver.)
RE: Gargoyle special touch
I saw your post over at BGG & cross posted there as well. Over there I notice you avoided "the Wounds" but here "The Hits" not to be pedantic, but from a rules standpoint there IS a difference. Here is the BGG post I made:

Quote:Yes, even if you avoid the Wounds you still have take the Stone Touch. As with many things FFP, wording is everything.

The distinction here is Hit vs Wound. The Gargoyles Stone Touch is predicated on HITS. Hits CAUSE Wounds, but there is still a difference.

There are a number of cards that let you avoid WOUNDS. There are even some such as "Take Cover!" (from The Coast) or "Teamwork" (HP1) that let you avoid HITS.

So, if you avoid the WOUND, you still take the HIT (& thus, the Stone Touch). If you avoid the HIT, then you would also avoid the Stone Touch.

Just to further clarify, here is what the rules say about Hits & Wounds:

Quote:For each successful Fight Dice roll (5 or 6), you score one Hit on your opponent....Once both the Hero and enemy have rolled their Fight Dice, it is time to apply the results. For each Hit done, one Wound is caused.

---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"