Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roll-to-move modifications?
10-04-2022, 07:12 PM
Roll-to-move modifications?
So personally I find any dice mechanics without mitigation to be outdated and pretty poor design anymore. Fortune and Glory took a big hit for me, when compared to A Touch of Evil, because the world map is so big that rolling poorly really can just cripple your game pretty consistently. I think I gave up on Catan forever the 2nd time I had a game where everyone just rolled 11,12, and 7 for three hours straight and nothing happened the entire game.

Shadows of Brimstone fixed this whole issue by granting you a grit token, which could immediately be used to ADD a whole extra die to your movement. Very clever and clean solution. A Touch of Evil never really gave me an issue simply because the locations are close enough together that bad dice rolls don't normally ruin a game.

Last night I introduced someone to the game and against all odds they rolled a 1 on all but 3 movement rolls in a 3 hour game and a half hour long game. It was funny at first, but felt rather tragic near the end as my friend wasn't really able to experience the game as they had practically no agency over their character's positioning. They were playing the Scarlet Shadow too, and were essentially trapped in the Abandoned Keep the entire game, due to how the special respawn rules work for that character.

We still won, barely, but it really raised a serious flag in my appraisal of the game. I know Fortune and Glory has alternate rules for movement, but was wondering if anyone else had experimented with any optional movement or dice mitigation rules that avoid this pitfall of Role-to-move breaking the game when RNG works against you.

Thanks FFP fam.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2022, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2022 05:14 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Roll-to-move modifications?
It's a really good point. I know people may argue, 'Well they just had a bad night.' But if it spoils someone's experience of a great game that's a shame.

Here's some ideas:
1) Use a d3: 1-2 =2, 3-4 =4, 5-6 =6. Statistically you should move further during the game. For example no 1's anymore, 5's are now bumped up to 6's. etc. This simple idea would speed up characters overall.

2) Base movement on the Character type:
4 Wounds a base move of 4 (thicker set/heavier/armoured/older characters)
3 Wounds a base move of 5 (average build/lightly armoured/average age 20's-30's)
2 Wounds a base move of 6 (slight build/no armour/young age)

The quicker Characters will have an advantage. You could mitigate that by subtracting 1 base skill such as a randomised -1 to Spirit, Cunning, Combat or Honor. I think this would need a lot of playtesting and would most likely unbalance Characters.

3) Use a deck of cards per player. Make a deck of 1-6 of all suits (so you have 24 cards).
Every go pick 2 cards (choose which to use, shuffle back in the unused card).
Until all the cards are used.
At that point reshuffle and start again with your deck of 24 cards.
In this example, yes, it's still 1-6 BUT there are more tactics to use. YOU have to make a decision, shall I use the high card I got? or keep it in the deck for when I might need it more? When you roll a die the game just happens to you. This card method gives you a CHOICE. If I was to 'Ditch the Dice' this would be my preferred method.

Just some thoughts there Raynor. Personally I'm not going to change anything as the game is (hopefully) designed to compensate for dice rolling (eg. the free Event when rolling a 1 etc. ). However, I'm a great believer in, it's your game and if house rules make it a more fun game for you and your friends then go for it!

Happy gaming allWatchmen02

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
11-04-2022, 03:56 PM
Meant to reply to this sooner, but I think I closed out my browser mid-reply or something, and it slipped my mind.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think I want to straight up alter any of the rules, but would rather go in with a pre-formed plan in mind as far as alternatives go to ensure no one has a bad time in case something like this happens again in the future.
11-08-2022, 03:15 PM
You could go with the two leg rule. You have two legs, you roll two dice and choose the one you want. We also struggled with the roll your dice movement. You roll a 2 and why did you get slowed up. The 1 is because you got an event but a 2, which is the worst is because of.....? I like the wounds rule as well perhaps affecting movement. Each wound is -1 movement.
11-08-2022, 04:25 PM
Those sound like fun alternatives. Thanks for sharing!