Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Romero's ...of the Dead
02-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Romero's ...of the Dead
Has anyone seen the trailer for the new Romero movie? I think it doesn't look all to great, to put it lightly, but here's the trailer so you can decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IR-CPLrtE0

There very little information at IMDB, but you can find a few articles on it here.--- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134854/

I have no idea where he's going with this. I think he honestly doesn't know any more either. I read an interview with him around the time Diary came out (I did enjoy Diary), and he said he didn't even know how to end it.

I'm a huge Romero fan, but I just don't know... I don't really need some weak drama/western with zombies thrown in it. I'll still see it, and hopefully I'm proven wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2009, 02:50 AM
RE: Romero's ...of the Dead
Watched it... eh at best... read an article that they are working on an adaptation of World War Z. I hope that's good.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-25-2009, 09:06 AM
I think at best that was a "showreel" to maybe drum up some extra cash from backers..or indeed to actually try to get a studio to release it, so things like the gunshots and dialogue volume would be sorted out in post-production.

On the strength of the visuals and also with this following on from Diary, I have to say I think George has lost his earlier genius for this type of film.

In the past, he tried to move away from zombie films with films like Monkey Shines, The Dark Half, Bruiser etc with little financial success, so now seems resigned to be a zombie film maker. Unfortunately, he seems to not want to do a "straight" zombie film and seems to be experimenting with different takes on the theme.

Personally, the last film I enjoyed by him was Land of the Dead (though I know there are lots who didn't like that) but I didn't enjoy Diary, in fact it is the only Romero film I do not own and can't see myself ever buying it.

So not holding my breath about this film!!
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I met George Romero once....

well, I shared an elevator with him.
02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I have to add my own "meh..." feelings about the trailer. It didn't do much to capture my attention or imagination, though the description at the side sounded intriguing. Plus the quality of the video wasn't so great, perhaps that had something to do with my impression.

I've only seen "Land of the Dead" once and thought it was ok. I've been meaning to rent it again, but it's a bit of a hassle. I have not seen "Diary of the Dead" but I really want to. I'm just hoping for some good zombie excitement from movies. Is that too much to ask for?
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
supervike Wrote:I met George Romero once....

well, I shared an elevator with him.
In 2005, we went to an all day Dead showing, Night, Dawn, day and Land and then the next morning Romero and Greg Nicotero did a signing.

I made George laugh, when I asked Greg what Tom Savini was like when he was being made up. When Greg said Savini was great and never complained I said "oh, so he wasn't like some back-seat make-up artist?".

George Laughed and said "no, but he did demand final say!". Zombie17 Zombie17
02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Not realy sure what to think of this...uhm...thing.
Poor soundquality that's for sure but that could be the posters fault right?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2009 12:24 AM by zombie67.)
After doing a bit of research into this, I found this bit on Fangoria's site:

FANGORIA

Here is a brief synopsis of the film:

Quote:On a small island off North America's coast, the dead rise to menace the living. Yet...the islanders can't bring themselves to exterminate their loved ones, despite the growing danger from those the once held dear. A rebel among them hunts down all the zombies he can find, only to be banished from the island for assassinating his neighbors and friends. On the mainland, bent on revenge, he encounters a small band of survivors in search of an oasis on which to build a new life. Barely surviving an attack from a mass of ravenous flesh-eaters. They commandeer a zombie-infested ferry and sail to the island. There, to their horror, they discover that the locals have chained the dead inside their homes, pretending to live 'normal' lives...with bloody consequences. What ensues is a desperate struggle for survival and the answer to a question never posed in Romero's Dead films: Can the living ever live in peace with the dead?

If you note of the Fango link, they refer to the trailer as a "production teaser", this again leads me to believe it is mainly for potential buyers or backers rather than cinemagoers.

Remember Cannes is only a couple of months away, so it may have been intended for there, to make worldwide sales.
02-26-2009, 11:23 AM
If all is done well it has potential. I like the story Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't have a clue who he was when I shared an elevator with him. I wasn't even into zombies then.

My wife and I were at a GW Gamesday event in Chicago....The Hotel I was at was also having a HORRORFEST convention. So all through the lobby and halls, you'd see folks dressed up like zombies, monsters, etc.

We were heading back to our room after an event, and when we got in the elevator, this tall man with odd glasses was being hounded by several folks. They were saying things like "This guy would be great in that role"...

When we got out of the lift, I nodded at the old man, and he nodded back. When my wife asked who he was, I just shrugged.

Later that evening, from out 7th story room, we could see folks gathering in a parking lot below. They set up a inflatable movie screen, and were having a 'drive in' movie night.

The guest of honor before the flicks was GEORGE A. ROMERO. Of course, I had heard of him, but had no clue....Up the old gent walks and addresses the adoring crowd. It was quite cool to be able to figure out who he was.

Then they played a bunch of his movies back to back, and that was cool as well, as we had a great view of them. I watched them deep into the night.