Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOB Swamp or Mansions of Madness
03-31-2015, 12:42 AM
SOB Swamp or Mansions of Madness
hi guys my mates and myslef are looking to add to out games at the moment.

We play

LNOE
Xwing
Malifaux
Descent 2

Whats the better of the two games>

Mansions of madness
or
Shadows of brimstone.

Also whats the difference between the two boxes of SOB?

Regards Robbie.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: SOB Swamp or Mansions of Madness
Well IMO(s);

MoM- you explore a single house with a number of set Scenarios ,it has a ton of Print on Demand Expansions &
IIR 1 box expansion. I's needs at least 2 players as you have an Active Opponent who players the Monsters.
You can play different Investigators and it comes with Miniatures (which you can paint or FFG sells prepainted figs)
Plays best with 3+ . The Theme is the Lovecraft Mythos. The Game Board is modular . You attempt to solve
the mystery the Scenario presents. In a way it's more like descent.

AToE- you explore a Town & surrounding areas on a set Board. It has 2 big box Expansions that take you
to adjacent areas .The Heroes are Plastic figs. & the Monster & Minions are cardboard tiles. There is a small
Expansion that includes just Heroes and another Villain. The setting is post American War of Independence
you can play a big game using all 3 Boards or just the Core Game Board and anyone Expansion Board.
AToE can be played Solo (there are rules for this) Competitive or Co-OP. The Game can be played by
up to 8 players but frankly once you get past 4 it becomes a time killer.

Which is best ? For me I like AToE better although I'm a big Lovecraft Fan. I find MoM to be fiddley
and as I play Solo much of the time AToE simply works better as MoM needs a live opponent &
at least 2 other players to reach it's full potential.

Shadows of Brimstone :

The Ancient City & Swamps of Death are 2 Core Games as such they share the same rules. The
modular Game tiles are different and you get different heroes & Monster. The Scenarios are given in
the Adventure books so you have 6 Generic Scenarios which are the same for both and 6 specific either
to the City or the Swamp depending on which box you have.

Besides the Rules some components overlap as they are both complete Games and not Expansions.
The just share the same Theme. SoB of course will have a lot of Expansions coming in the Fall from the
KS Add- Ons & stretch goals.

I'm sure other members will add to this as I haven't been exhaustive but it's early & I need coffee.

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
03-31-2015, 02:16 PM
I have not played SoB, so my opinion is one sided, but Mansions is a fantastic game. Granted there are only about 5or6 scenarios that come with the base game, but each of them have 5 or 6 different ways they can play out, and depending on who plays the "Keeper" things can change even more. My wife loves it because she has a bit of "Eldritch Puppetmaster" syndrome. You should see the gleam in her eyes when she reaches slowly for that great big Shuggoth figurine... <shudder>.

I'd say go down to your local game store and see if they have copies for playtesting.
03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
I would say MoM is the better game of those two. Sadly, it got WAY too hard with all the expansions and sucked all the joy out of it for me though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user