Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SPACE HULK!
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
RE: SPACE HULK!
I've been dismissing Space Hulk as a collector's item until today when I learned they're back in production. How "heavy" is this game? Not talking weight, but rules... let's say, in comparison to Last Night on Earth. I'd REALLY like to pick up a copy, but my friends aren't so eager to learn new things.

And is it purely 1 vs. 1?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2009 08:35 PM by supervike.)
It is purely 1vs 1.

In a nutshell, the rules are pretty simple.

The Space Marines each have a certain amount of Action Points, with which they can spend to move, shoot, open doors, and a few other things.

The Genestealers, being lightning fast, actually get more Action Points each, but are limited to only hand-to-claw combat. They also have a bit of 'fog of war surprise' to them, as they first appear on the board as Radar Blips. Once a Marine physically sees them, the BLIP is converted to either 1, 2, or 3 Genestealer models.

The best bit, however, seems to be the timer. The Space marines turn is limited by a three minute timer. In that short time, they have to decide their Actions for each of the Marines. Once the timer expires, the Turn is over, regardless if they were done or not. Quick decisions are a must!

The Genestealers have no timer at all, to represent their lightning fast reflexes.

I've not played yet, as I've been just reading the rules, and assembling the pieces. (they all come on sprues, and need to be snapped together).

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
supervike Wrote:It is purely 1vs 1.

In a nutshell, the rules are pretty simple.

The Space Marines each have a certain amount of Action Points, with which they can spend to move, shoot, open doors, and a few other things.

The Genestealers, being lightning fast, actually get more Action Points each, but are limited to only hand-to-claw combat. They also have a bit of 'fog of war surprise' to them, as they first appear on the board as Radar Blips. Once a Marine physically sees them, the BLIP is converted to either 1, 2, or 3 Genestealer models.

The best bit, however, seems to be the timer. The Space marines turn is limited by a three minute timer. In that short time, they have to decide their Actions for each of the Marines. Once the timer expires, the Turn is over, regardless if they were done or not. Quick decisions are a must!

The Genestealers have no timer at all, to represent their lightning fast reflexes.

I've not played yet, as I've been just reading the rules, and assembling the pieces. (they all come on sprues, and need to be snapped together).

Sounds simple enough. Called my local FLGS, and as I expected, on backorder with absolutely no guarantees it will ever be in stock. Bah... Then eBay is just about spot on with MSRP.

Read some reviews on the older editions and it sounds incredibly fun. The 3rd edition looks like it would half chore, half joy to piece together and paint. Watchmen02
09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, the painting will be a chore for me....

Actually, the reason I got into BOARD GAMES like LNOE or Tannhauser was so I could get away from painting or worrying about painting the minis. I've got vast hordes of unpainted (and unassembled) minis begging for attention.

With the Space Hulk ones, they go together very easily (no glueing neccesary) and I don't think I'll even worry about painting them. Sometimes, a guy just wants to play!!

Zalgo....he comes.
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
For a 'flavor' of the rules, go to this site:

http://www.necronhulk.co.uk

Check out the downloads, it's got the older editions of the rules.

Theres no reason you couldn't build yourself a board and populate it with proxy minis.....

Zalgo....he comes.
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2009 08:37 PM by zombie67.)
Happy to say my lovely lady Kath bought me a copy today as an early Birthday present....well, only a month early. Zombie17 Zombie17

We'd only gone into GW for some new paints.

As you can see the thought of painting some new minis and learning some new rules kind of agrees with me:

[Image: DSCF0999.jpg]
09-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Nice,way to go Kath:cool:

Alas my B-Day is in October but I sort of ran my
string of "Advanced" B-Day presents out.

Mater says I'm good till 2016:rolleyes:

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Man... that's an awesome package.

The game looks pretty cool too.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
09-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Sárku Wrote:Man... that's an awesome package.

The game looks pretty cool too.
Zombie17 Zombie17

Did you also see the great Batman book I found today? I got it in a Charity Shop for a couple of quid.
09-10-2009, 02:18 AM
A couple of squid?

Zalgo....he comes.