Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sands of Generic
10-20-2013, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 01:19 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Sands of Generic
I received my Sands of Cairo Card set. The Cards all have
a mid-Eastern artwork but the Rules say just shuffle into
the regular Decks so for the most part you could be
attacked by Arab Thugs in San Francisco or be in Danger among
the Pyramids in Moscow . Here's the breakdown:

City Card-Street merchant -offers cut rate items (Generic)

Enemies:Well Armed Thugs (Generic)
Desert Swordsmen (Semi-Generic)-in Desert Regions
they get 2 extra Fight Die

Events:Contacts Cairo-if in Cairo get a choice of bonuses
(this is the only Card tied to Cairo)
A life of Excitement (Generic)

Gear: Scimitar (Semi-Generic)-in Desert & jungle Regions
give 2 extra fight die
Goggles (Generic)

Common Items-Camel-(semi-Generic)-allows you to draw an Event
Card if you end movement in a Desert Region.
You can discard to get +2 Adventure die for a
single test*

* it's unclear to me if this is just in Desert Regions or if you
can discard the Camel in NY & get the bonus die?

Danger-4 Cards all Generic

So ,yes I like the Set but I find the Generic use clashes
with the art work (which is nothing new to F&G) I think
I'll home Rule to apply these Cards to apply to mid-Eastern Regions.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: Sands of Generic
Yeah, I was kind of hoping these worked in a way that was more location specific. But at the same time, I guess I'm glad that the deck(s) aren't, or don't get, littered with a bunch of cards that only come into play under specific circumstances, which may or may not come into play. Insane19

Thought just occurred to me while typing. Wonder what FanG would be like with ATOE like "corner locations" for the Regions...hmm...

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-22-2013, 03:08 AM
(10-20-2013 12:57 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I received my Sands of Cairo Card set. The Cards all have
a mid-Eastern artwork but the Rules say just shuffle into
the regular Decks so for the most part you could be
attacked by Arab Thugs in San Francisco or be in Danger among
the Pyramids in Moscow . Here's the breakdown:

First off, thank you for your overview. Considering there was so little information about this, I was waiting for an early bird to pass on their impressions before snagging it.

Many of the complaints that you read about Fortune & Glory revolve around the fact that adventures are 'too random' for their locations. While I do not necessarily agree with that, I had hoped that the Sands of Cairo supplement would go far in nixing that complaint for people. After all - if it were a success, Flying Frog could create a bunch of these types of location-centric supplements to flesh out the game; jungles, mountains, etc.

But I am not too sure if this, as described, really does address that complaint.

While the gear, enemy, and common item fits nicely, I do wish they had figured out a way to better tie the desert theme in to the Dangers/Cliffhangers.
10-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Agreed about this seemingly missed opportunity especially with the Missions in Treasure Hunters on the horizon. House rules seem to be the answer - though I guess buying a camel in any city is possible - if they have a zoo Zombie03
10-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Now that I have mine, I really do have to disagree with the feel of the thread. The one with the Pyramids picture, for instance, is called "buried tomb". It can go anywhere. Sure, the flavor text mentions sand -- but sand is quite wide-spread; there are coasts and riverbeds everywhere. Even pictorially -- there are Pyramids more than just Egypt (though that pictured is Egypt). There are the Mayan pyramids, those in Cambodia and countless other places. The common item, Camel, may be a bit more biome-specific -- but it is quite a large swath of the world that uses camels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dromedary_Range.png), or even broader if you expand it to camelids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camelid_Range.png).

But even IF they weren't broad enough to fit, I'd still not have a problem. The game's exciting Watchmen02

As for some of the cards being specific to Cairo or silver cities, I like that. In adventure/pulp, these are important cities.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
M are you feeling threads again-damn man you don't where they have been!

I agree the Game is fun but I was expecting an Card set called Sands of Cairo
to be a bit more Cairo or at least mid east specific.Basically it wasn't the
wording it was the art work that is so mid-eastern just seems rather out of place,
in certain locations.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-23-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 10:51 PM by MoonSylver.)
I may start employing a house rule that calls for the card drawn to be "playable" (at least mildy plausable, even in a pulp sense) in the region or else draw another card & reshuffle? For example: drawing a Pyramid in the Midwest US would make for some pretty darn cool Pulp IMO, Buying & using a Camel in London seems pretty darn silly (though funny...) so I might limit it to Desert only regions...

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"