Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sara's Aura of Protection - how to play?
12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Sara's Aura of Protection - how to play?
So can Sara's Aura of Protection ability be used as a single roll attempt to cancel "Town Elder is Killed" action from a card or is it just for wounds in a Showdown?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Sara's Aura of Protection - how to play?
I have only played as her once and I think we assumed it was at any time not just wounds on a showdown. While it may seem over-powered I have had games where no town elders were killed at all, so the power would have been useless anyway.
12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
(12-10-2012 03:15 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I have only played as her once and I think we assumed it was at any time not just wounds on a showdown. While it may seem over-powered I have had games where no town elders were killed at all, so the power would have been useless anyway.

I've had different responses (also posted on BGG) and advice to read the card literally i.e. wounds only, but given that she succeeds on a roll of 3+ perhaps it could be used anytime? However she gains 2 Investigations each turn so potentially it could be very powerful.
12-11-2012, 02:08 PM
In cases like these I try it either way. Which ever way seems to offer more fun then I usually go with that choice and keep to that choice throughout the game. Next time I may choose to interpret it the other way. Just as long as it is consistent in how you play it within each individual game.
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 04:52 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
Not having the card available I can't make an opinion. Can you post the literal text from the character card? Thanks.
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
(12-12-2012 04:52 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Not having the card available I can't make an opinion. Can you post the literal text from the character card? Thanks.

May pay 2 Investigation at any time to prevent a Wound to any Town Elder or Hero (including herself) on the D6 roll of 3+ (limit once per Wound).
12-14-2012, 10:14 PM
This may shed some light:

"Cards like Escape and Just a Scratch can be used to prevent a Town Elder from being 'Killed' by a card like "No one is Safe". When a card says that a Town Elder is 'Killed' the intent is that they take enough wounds to kill them - 1 Wound is enough to Kill a Town Elder. If you prevent that wound, they are not killed. As far as them being attacked if they are with you. This is actually not the case. Town Elders are only attacked in Combat during a Showdown, and only if they are part of your 'Hunting Party'. If they are with you by some other means (such as the 'Hero of the People' Secret), they are not attacked seperately." (Jason Hill 11/20/08 BGG)

(Note that Lord Hanbrook takes two wounds. A card such as "No one is safe" would be deemed to inflict two wounds on him. In this case the player would have to roll Sara's ability for each wound. Saving either of them would save LH because he would heal the other automatically anyway.) This is my addition, not Jason's.
12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
(12-14-2012 10:14 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  This may shed some light:

"Cards like Escape and Just a Scratch can be used to prevent a Town Elder from being 'Killed' by a card like "No one is Safe". When a card says that a Town Elder is 'Killed' the intent is that they take enough wounds to kill them - 1 Wound is enough to Kill a Town Elder. If you prevent that wound, they are not killed. As far as them being attacked if they are with you. This is actually not the case. Town Elders are only attacked in Combat during a Showdown, and only if they are part of your 'Hunting Party'. If they are with you by some other means (such as the 'Hero of the People' Secret), they are not attacked seperately." (Jason Hill 11/20/08 BGG)

(Note that Lord Hanbrook takes two wounds. A card such as "No one is safe" would be deemed to inflict two wounds on him. In this case the player would have to roll Sara's ability for each wound. Saving either of them would save LH because he would heal the other automatically anyway.) This is my addition, not Jason's.

Nicely done. I haven't had ATOE out for a few weeks & haven't had the time to check the rules to make sure I got the awnser right, but I had a feeling this is how it should go if ATOE was consistant w/ LNOE in Keyword usage (Killed = all wound boxes filled), which it usually is.

Seems to be the case here as well. I thought that was how it played in the 1 session I used her in thus far. Sara is pretty badass. But she does have some built in limitations that if you don't get the right "buffs" for her might hurt IIRC.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"