Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save the Townsfolk - Trust Mechanic
10-31-2020, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2020 08:26 PM by mkrob89.)
Save the Townsfolk - Trust Mechanic
I don't know if this has ever been brought up or not. So I apologize if it has.

I came up with a trust mechanism for the townsfolk, when trying to save them. The idea comes from the fact, that once an apocalypse occurs, people change and may not just join ranks with just anyone, regardless to how they knew the person prior to the apocalypse.

So, based on the townsfolk's history and profession, I came up with this Trust Mechanic. I found each Townsfolk's description from Flying frogs Wiki site, 10th anniversary edition under the Heroes tab. I added a little myself, in order to help tell a story.

Principal Gomez - "cookie cutter" school official type
Trusts - Female Students
Distrusts - Male Students aka "Jocks"

Jeb - "not very good with people. Protective of Sally."
Trusts - Strange Heroes
Distrusts - Male Students

Deputy Taylor - Mimics the Sheriff.
Trusts - Law Enforcement Heroes
Distrusts - Strange Heroes

Mr. Hyde - "relates with Students. Troublesome school student."
Trusts - Students
Distrusts - Adults

Farmer Sty - " I told you kids to stay outta my barn."
Trusts - Adults
Distrusts - Students

Doc Brody - Old school Doctor, used to dealing with female nurses. Apparently has seen something similar to an apocalypse some years ago. Thinks it could've been handled better.
Trusts - Females
Distrusts - Law enforcement

How it works:
When Hero finds a townsfolk, they roll a Persuasion Roll D6. If the roll is 4+ the hero convinced the townsfolk to join them. If 3-, the Hero failed to persuade them, thus leaving them there.

However, depending on the Hero's gender and profession, an effect may be added or subtracted to the Persuasion roll.

Trusts = +2
Distrusts = -2

Example:
Johnny finds principal Gomez.
Johnny rolls a 5.
Principal Gomez distrusts Male Students. Therefore a -2 is added to Johnny's persuasion roll.
Johnny's roll is now a 3.
3- = Principal Gomez doesn't join up with Johnny.

Once failed, johnny may try again. But this counts as an action. So either he can keep trying, or another Hero can try and persuade.

If a Hero's gender or profession is unlisted. It means the Townsfolk is Neutral and whatever the intial Persuasion roll is, that is what stands.

I just played a Save the Townsfolk game with this mechanic and it worked great! I lost on the last round. Literally the next card to draw was a townsfolk.

I may change the effects to +/- 1 instead of 2.

What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Save the Townsfolk - Trust Mechanic
Very thematic. +/- 1 though for me.
11-03-2020, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2020 10:20 PM by mkrob89.)
(11-03-2020 07:39 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Very thematic. +/- 1 though for me.

Thank you!

It's kinda gives them personality! I play solo and only have the base game. I like to tinker and add some small tweaks here and there when I can, to mix the scenarios up!

I have also thought about using all the counter tokens and separating the Townsfolk cards from the main deck. Then as counters 1-6 are found, the Hero draws for a townsfolk. This may help balance the +/- 2 or even help balance the scenario out a little bit, since they aren't buried in the Hero deck!
11-03-2020, 11:10 PM
An interesting mechanic. I like itWatchmen02
I've found that Last Night on Earth doesn't really dwell on the darker side of humanity during an apocalypse (e.g. mistrust/betrayal). It's more of a '80's Zombie B-movie feel.

A perfect game for me would be an amalgamation of LNoE with the Betrayal mechanic and optional rival gangs from Dead of winter . And the Noise mechanic from Walking Dead: All Out War Game (draws Zombies for gunshots, running, car alarms going off etc.
11-03-2020, 11:45 PM
(11-03-2020 11:10 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  An interesting mechanic. I like itWatchmen02
I've found that Last Night on Earth doesn't really dwell on the darker side of humanity during an apocalypse (e.g. mistrust/betrayal). It's more of a '80's Zombie B-movie feel.

A perfect game for me would be an amalgamation of LNoE with the Betrayal mechanic and optional rival gangs from Dead of winter . And the Noise mechanic from Walking Dead: All Out War Game (draws Zombies for gunshots, running, car alarms going off etc.

Thank you!
I have never played Dead of Winter, but I do know I would love that traitor/betrayal aspect to be incorporated somehow!

I actually have bought some blank dice and engraved some noise icons into one of them. I intend to use it for, like you said, gunshots, running (rolls of a 5 and/or 6), and possibly searching.

I play solo, and I'm trying to come up with a way for Betrayal to occur, randomly, without me knowing haha! This mechanic, kinda fits into that, but only by a little!

I have been play testing another custom idea I came up with as well. Right now I'm 2/4 on games. It has to do with random encounters the heroes come across! They have positive or negative effects. This is a whole other post I'll create after a few more tests! But it adds to my betrayal system for solo experience!

I agree with you though, your combination, would be a perfect game for me as well!
07-10-2021, 08:04 PM
makes sense I will have to try it next time we play that scenario