Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scenario: BOOK OF THE DEAD
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Scenario: BOOK OF THE DEAD
I'll be play testing this one at work tonight as well as working out the kinks and writing it up in a easier to understand text. Here's the gist of it.

A swarm of zombies has been unleashed on the town thanks to the NEcronomicon. It is up to the players to close the gate and end the terror befallen their town. There are 4 missing pages to the necronomicon hidden throughout the town in various buildings. Once all four pages are collected the heroes must make it to the center space and recite the passages. One hero can carry all four pages. As an added difficulty, 8 portals will be placed around the board to serve as zombie spawning pits. Spawning is automatic (one per portal per turn). In order to slow down the spawning process the players can shut down individual portals so long as they hold at least one page to the necronomicon and are within one space of the portal.

That's basically it. This scenario uses the large circular cult thing that coems with the game as well as the smaller ones that come with the AToE expansion. Regular spawning pits can be used instead.

Any ideas, let me know. Like I said, I'll be giving this one a try tonight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2009, 04:11 PM
RE: Scenario: BOOK OF THE DEAD
Sounds interesting,I always love the HPL Touch,
are you using a GOO for fluff-Yig's Cult do the Zombie
ThingZombie03

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Old Dwarf Wrote:are you using a GOO for fluff-Yig's Cult do the Zombie
ThingZombie03

OD

I'm sorry. what? i didn't understand any of that.
11-25-2009, 07:45 PM
okay. first test game went too easily. need to amp up the danger factor. it's awfully tough trying to put together a good scenario.
11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
You've got some good ideas, I like this one also, but what's happening with "infection"? I really like the sound of that one.
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
i'm working on both right now. Book of the Dead seemed like it could get finished quicker so i'm focusing on it right now.
11-26-2009, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2009 02:02 PM by deadandwalking.)
I just had a successful play session using some alternate rules, which I may end up tweaking up a bit more, but worked for now. Here's the updated scenario: A gate to hell has been opened in the center of town (circular summoning marker) using the book of the dead which has caused zombies to spawn all around the edges of town. A zombie king from the other side is awaiting his resurection and requires 10 zombie sacrifices. In order to close the gate and keep the zombie king in hell and to end the zombie plague the heroes must work together as a team and recover the four missing pages to the necronomicon and recite the pages at the summoning circle to shut the gate. If 10 zombies manage to sacrifice themselves it's game over.

This game is more of a solo session than multiplayer since the zombies main goal is to simply move to the center space and sacrifice themselves.

Here's how it works: Each L shaped piece gets an additional spawning pit on a random roll. There should now be 8 spawning locations. Zombies spawn automatically without rolling, which means each zombie turn all 14 zombies should be on the board. Unlike the regular game zombies cannot move through walls (just being a little bit more real). Upon reaching the center tile and summoning marker the zombie must survive a fight turn to sacrifice itself. Once this happens move the marker down one (starting at 10). When moving a zombie always move it the shortest distance. Zombie hunger does still apply.

Heroes: each hero starts with their respective weapon (i.e. Sheriff with revolver, jenny with chainsaw, johnny with bat, etc.). should be easy enough to figure out, however I could list each of them if requested. All heroes start in the center square at the summoning pit. Story begins with its discovery. To locate a missing page the hero must enter a building and roll a D6. upon rolling a 5 or a 6 the page is discovered. You can't linger in a building and search each turn. You have to move from building to building, but you can however return to the same building later and look again. As an added benefit of holding a missing page you gain an extra fight dice per page against the zombie plague. You also have the power to shut down spawning pits while holding a page from the necronomicon. Just end your turn in an adjacent space and survive a fight and then the spawning pit is closed. This will help slow down the sacrificing.

One all pages are recovered return to the summoning circle. To close the gate you must start your turn at it and give up your turn as well as hold off any more zombies.

That's it in a nutshell. I may have missed something and if i did I'll edit it later. It's only gone one playtest so far, but I'll play it again to see how it goes. In my session I played as the Sheriff, Johnny, Jenny and the Drifter. The sheriff stayed at the gate with Jenny to hold off the zombie masses while the Drifter and Johnny searched for the missing pages. Both Johnny and the Drifter found two pages each and then made their way back to the gate. Unfortunately both Sheriff and Jenny were dead upon their arrival. The two remaining heroes managed to close the gate, but not before 5 zombies sacrificed themselves. I may not have been so lucky had I not got some good search roles for the papers.

BTW, I'm using the papers from the AToE game. Not sure what could be used in their place though.

Let me know what you think and how your playtests go.
11-26-2009, 04:07 PM
deadandwalking Wrote:
Old Dwarf Wrote:are you using a GOO for fluff-Yig's Cult do the Zombie
ThingZombie03

OD

I'm sorry. what? i didn't understand any of that.

GOO=Great Old One (too much Arkham Horror:rolleyes: )
Yig was the GOO that used Zombies as Minions in
Lovecrafts Mythos.I thought as you were using the
Necronomicon, that you might use some additional fluff
as to who was sending these Zombies through the portal.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-26-2009, 06:02 PM
i'm working on the plot Watchmen02 Or I could get you to work on the story since you know a good bit Watchmen02
11-27-2009, 09:03 AM
okay. I've simplified the game some more to make it more of a solo experience since that's the way it was aiming. In this version none of the cards are used. obviously the heroes wouldn't be searching for cards since they'd be searching for pages instead and the zombies have a huge advantage as is. so no cards. extra change: the heroes weapons don't break or run out of gas or ammo. there ya go. that's the game. I've played three tiems so far tonight. lost the first two. won the last one with only 4 zombies sacrificed. As much as I hate to say it it relies heavliy on lucky rolling of the dice when searching buildings for the missing pages. Also the game runs pretty quick. I'll have an official write up hopefully tonight. Make it all professional looking and such. yay me.