Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Scenario: Patient Zero
07-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Scenario: Patient Zero
Tossing the idea of betrayal around. Similar to my "Bury the Living" for those who've seen that.

[Image: CustomPatient0FRONT.jpg]

[Image: CustomPatient0Back.jpg?t=1246945616]

C&C appreciated!

Art by jzcj5: http://jzcj5.deviantart.com/art/Scars-99193356
and snapdragon55: http://snapdragon55.deviantart.com/art/m...-102509439
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
RE: Scenario: Patient Zero
Nope, not tested yet. Haven't been able to get 5 people in one room for the past few weeks. :'(
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Not going to submit anything to the contest?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2009, 06:41 PM
mqstout Wrote:Not going to submit anything to the contest?

I am, just not this one. Polishing and testing my "Bury the Living!" scenario for the contest, which I feel is the stronger of the 3-4 scenarios I've put together.
07-07-2009, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 08:51 PM by twopiearr.)
Thoughts in no particular order:

- Why can only one subset of zombies spread the plague? With the plague carriers requiring a distributed setup, it's gonna take some doing for patient zero to get to more than one plague carrier. Since the zombie player can't generate without spreading the plague, a lucky human set up could allow them to take out patient zero and the first plague carrier relatively early in the game.

- To that extent, it might make sense to set the heroes up before the zombies set up. The zombie player is effectively dead in the water until he gets about 3 zombies, so allowing him to set that up strategically might be worthwhile.

- I'm not sure I understand point #2 under Special Rules - at what point would the Zombie player not control Patient Zero?

- A possible way to ease zombie player control issues - if 3 Hero players are killed, the initial Zombie player only plays Patient Zero. Assuming Patient Zero is still alive of course.

- To that extent, I kind of want Tom to be patient zero - the zombie player has more of a chance if the heroes have to take down the most resilient character in the game, especially if they no longer have him in the pool. Otherwise, if the heroes roll lucky and bum rush patient zero early, game ends.

- For purposes of setup, does the Freezer count as a building?

- Next time please post a smaller than full sized graphic - horizontal scrolling in a web browser sucks. Zombie03
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2009 09:22 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
twopiearr Wrote:Thoughts in no particular order:

- Why can only one subset of zombies spread the plague? With the plague carriers requiring a distributed setup, it's gonna take some doing for patient zero to get to more than one plague carrier. Since the zombie player can't generate without spreading the plague, a lucky human set up could allow them to take out patient zero and the first plague carrier relatively early in the game.

- To that extent, it might make sense to set the heroes up before the zombies set up. The zombie player is effectively dead in the water until he gets about 3 zombies, so allowing him to set that up strategically might be worthwhile.

Makes sense, I actually noticed I completely forgot to mention how Heroes would setup. D'oh. It's kinda only a big deal. :P

I didn't want to make all Zombies Carriers as it could quite possibly be a quick win for the Zombie team. I could put in an exception that only Red Zombies have the Plague Carrier Fight bonus, while Green and Brown can only infect Civilians. Trying not to over complicate things.

Quote:- I'm not sure I understand point #2 under Special Rules - at what point would the Zombie player not control Patient Zero?

Ah, I worded that awkwardly. I meant to clarify the point that the Zombie Player doesn't control any other Zombies at the beginning of the game, he can only move/attack/infect with Patient Zero. Will need to reword that (and a lot of this actually).

Quote:- A possible way to ease zombie player control issues - if 3 Hero players are killed, the initial Zombie player only plays Patient Zero. Assuming Patient Zero is still alive of course.

Possible.

Quote:- To that extent, I kind of want Tom to be patient zero - the zombie player has more of a chance if the heroes have to take down the most resilient character in the game, especially if they no longer have him in the pool. Otherwise, if the heroes roll lucky and bum rush patient zero early, game ends.

Tom? Or do you mean Sam, the butcher? He would be ideal, 4 wounds would make him one tough Zombie Hero to drop.

Quote:- For purposes of setup, does the Freezer count as a building?

I'd say yes.

Quote:- Next time please post a smaller than full sized graphic - horizontal scrolling in a web browser sucks. Zombie03

Definitely. Just don't like juggling Photobucket URLs to link to embed the smaller image and hyperlink to the full-sized. My mind goes numb from switching back n forth through tabs. Watchmen02

Thanks for the C&C!

Also have some concerns over the amount of spaces in the buildings. Do you think there are enough spaces in buildings in any one board config that would allow us to deploy all of the Zombies/Civilians? I'd like to get all 21 on the board, if possible. May have to break out the Manor House instead of Center of Town.
07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Another thought - In the plague carriers scenario, the zombie player is still spawning normally - it's just the plague carriers themselves that have special rules. With this scenario, the zombie player isn't spawning at all - he's only creating zombies via plague. This means that once the zombified plague carriers are gone...it's game over.

So I think this scenario really only works if any zombie is capable of spreading the infection. Otherwise, the humans have a relatively small target pool if they get in gear early in the game. Especially since the plague carriers have to have a distributed setup.
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
twopiearr Wrote:Another thought - In the plague carriers scenario, the zombie player is still spawning normally - it's just the plague carriers themselves that have special rules. With this scenario, the zombie player isn't spawning at all - he's only creating zombies via plague. This means that once the zombified plague carriers are gone...it's game over.

So I think this scenario really only works if any zombie is capable of spreading the infection. Otherwise, the humans have a relatively small target pool if they get in gear early in the game. Especially since the plague carriers have to have a distributed setup.

I agree, I'll make that change then so any zombie can spread the infection, but only plague carriers and patient zero have the combat effect versus Heroes.
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
also i just spotted your number of spaces question...I don't think that'll be a problem. most board sections have at least 3 buildings, and most of those buildings are at least 4 spaces. 2 board sections together should have at least 24 spaces, so a full board will have more than enough room.
07-29-2009, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2009 10:05 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
Alright, so I introduced a good amount of edits and new rules, which I feel made this scenario a LOT more interesting for infected Heroes and regular Heroes alike.

Cliff notes:

- Heroes killed in this scenario automatically become "infected" and join the Zombie team.
- Each Hero starts with 1 biocanister (Zombie Plague Cure).
- Heroes have a chance to cure their infected comrade by wounding his Zombie Hero in a Fight, then discarding the biocanister. Zombie Hero and his player are returned to the Hero team.
- Heroes can also cure Patient Zero, who is a fast-moving, infectious, Zombie Hero. To cure Patient Zero, a Hero must wound him, then discard a biocanister. Place the biocanister on the character sheet like you would a Wound. The biocanister can replace a wound marker.
- Once Patient Zero has 3 (or less if he is a Student) biocansiter "wounds" he is cured and turned over to the Hero team. If there are no Zombie players, Heroes win! Otherwise play continues until Zombies are all dead, Heroes are dead, all Zombie Heroes are cured, or until Dawn.

Still have some loop holes to look for; I can already see I'll need to clarify turn order for people that switch teams due to infection/cure. But if you care to read what I have so far, you can find it below:

Quote:Turns 16

Requires exactly 5 players. In this scenario, Zombie players and Hero players may change, perhaps even frequently.

Grave Dead Zombies, Well Stocked Buildings
Scenario Objectives

1) Heroes win by having at least 1 Hero survive until dawn, or by killing all Zombies, or by Curing all Zombie Heroes (including Patient Zero).
2) Zombies win by killing all of the Heroes.

Scenario Search Item: Biocanister

Scenario Setup

1) Setup the game board with the Center of Town piece, and 3 Random L-Shaped Outer Boards. The L-Shaped Outer Board containing the Hospital must be used.

2) Before Heroes are choosen, the Zombie player shuffles all of the Hero character sheets, and selects one at random. He may draw a different Hero if a keyword Student is chosen. The Hero drawn is Patient Zero.

3) Place Patient Zero's corresponding Hero piece on the morgue with a Zombie Hero counter below his base. He represents the first victim of the plague and is highly contagious.

4) The Zombie Player must then divide his Zombie Pool among every building on the game board as evenly as possible limit one Zombie per space. Then place the 7 Grave Dead Zombies in each building as evenly as possible; they may share a space with a regular Zombie.

5) At this time, all regular Zombies (Green and Brown) and Grave Dead Zombies (Red) represent Civilians (more on this later).

6) Hero players may now choose their Heroes. This Hero represents the Hero player as well (more on this later).

7) Heroes start in a random building in the L-Shaped outer board opposite of the Hospital.

7) Lastly, give each Hero player one biocanister. This is the Cure to the Zombie Plague, but can only be used once! The biocanister does not count toward the item limit. Rules on the use of the biocanister can be found in the Special Rules.

Special Rules

1) The Zombie Player never spawns new Zombies in this scenario. He must infect Civilians and/or Heroes to grow his Zombie Horde.

2) Grave Dead Zombies are Plague Carriers (refer to the Growing Hunger rulebook under the Grave Dead section for these rules)
3) Patient Zero is like any other Zombie Hero except he moves D6 spaces and is also a Plague Carrier.

4) Civilians are controlled by the Hero team and can be moved at any time during the Heroes' turn. Civilians can only move 1 space in any direction and cannot move though walls like Zombies. Limit 1 Civilian per space.

5) To infect a Civilian, the Patient Zero or a Zombie must move through or end its movement in spaces with a civilian. All Civilians in Patient Zero's movement path are now Zombies and are under the Zombie Players control. Place a Wound counter underneath the base to indicate that the Civilian is now a Zombie! Newly infected Zombies may not move this turn (treated as if they had just spawned).

6) Anytime a Hero is killed, the player immediately joins the Zombie team and their Hero turned into a Zombie Hero. The player discards all of his Hero cards and items (including the biocanister), he is now dirty rotten Zombie! These Zombie Heroes are regular Zombie Heroes, move D3 spaces, and are also Plague Carriers.

7) The Zombie player may then decide which color Zombie team his new teammate may control (Red, Green, Brown, or if he can't divide them anymore, then none). This is especially important in regard to Zombie cards that affect only "your" Zombies.

8) The means the number of Zombie players could potentially rise to 4. As such, during the "Draw Zombie Cards" phase, the Patient Zero player will then divide his Zombie Card hand as evenly as possible amongst the other Zombie players.

9) At any time, if an infected Zombie Player's Zombie Hero is killed, that player permanently becomes a Zombie player and the Hero is removed from the game.

10) The Hero players have an opportunity to Cure their infected friend by using a biocanister. To use the biocanister, the Hero must Wound the target Zombie Hero in a Fight. If successful, the Zombie Hero and that player is returned back to the Hero team! Discard the biocansiter after use.

11) To Cure Patient Zero, first a Hero must Wound him in a Fight, then discard the biocanister. Place the biocanister on the Zombie Hero's character sheet in place of the Wound marker (Heroes may replace an existing Wound with a biocanister at that moment). Once 3 (or less if Patient Zero is a Student) biocanisters are successfully used, Patient Zero is cured! Patient Zero and the Zombie player discard all of their Zombie cards and join the Hero team. If there are no Zombie players left, then the Heroes win. Otherwise, the Zombie players now decide how to divide the remaining Zombies.

12) If a Hero is ever killed after being Cured, the Hero dies and is removed from play. Do not reinfect the Hero.

13) Immediately discard and draw a new card should the Zombie or Hero Player(/s) draw a card pertaining to Zombie spawning or spawning pits.