Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scenarios like Escape in the Truck - Do you pile up the Zombies?
10-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Scenarios like Escape in the Truck - Do you pile up the Zombies?
So, this is a question for zombie players (or those like me who love both sides and switch up all the time). When it comes to scenarios like “Escape in the Truck” or “Stock Up,” which way do you tend to go in the following topic? Do you strategize and therefore leave a few zombies on the truck/in the stockpile room? Or, do you tend to err on the side of doing things thematically, and therefore the zombies keep moving?

I ask this because, technically, there is nothing against you leaving zombies in the space the heroes need to get to as part of the scenario. Unless a hero stops in an adjacent space to lure them out with zombie hunger, you are within your rights to put as many zombies there as you want and even leave them there. However, if you think about it, that is almost a little inaccurate thematically. After all, why would the zombies just stand there doing nothing? It isn’t like they’d know the heroes are eventually going to come that way.

So, personally, I like to go thematically appropriate, and have the zombies all moving around throughout the game, going after heroes. Mind you, of course I will try, if I can, to get them NEAR the truck or building the heroes need, but I won’t just pile all my zombies there and leave them there.

What do you all think? What do you tend to do in scenarios like this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2012, 08:49 PM
RE: Scenarios like Escape in the Truck - Do you pile up the Zombies?
I actually spread mine out.. I try to keep at least one zombine near each building to prevent loiter/searching and ill linger one or two near the truck moving around it to try and get a player near the edge, in case i get a shamble i can rach almost anywhere on the board. Every one else.. chases.

TO be clear i am always moving all zombies.. some far.. some not so far...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Thematically, zombies wander around aimlessly until they notice possible sources of food (the humans!) so I wouldn't automatically consider it thematic to keep zombies moving toward humans if they're not close enough to catch the zombies' attention.

So I think I can justify leaving the zombies to hang out around the truck as them just wandering around randomly but just happened to be around the truck Zombie17
10-18-2012, 10:54 PM
(10-18-2012 08:35 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  So, this is a question for zombie players (or those like me who love both sides and switch up all the time). When it comes to scenarios like “Escape in the Truck” or “Stock Up,” which way do you tend to go in the following topic? Do you strategize and therefore leave a few zombies on the truck/in the stockpile room? Or, do you tend to err on the side of doing things thematically, and therefore the zombies keep moving?

I ask this because, technically, there is nothing against you leaving zombies in the space the heroes need to get to as part of the scenario. Unless a hero stops in an adjacent space to lure them out with zombie hunger, you are within your rights to put as many zombies there as you want and even leave them there. However, if you think about it, that is almost a little inaccurate thematically. After all, why would the zombies just stand there doing nothing? It isn’t like they’d know the heroes are eventually going to come that way.

So, personally, I like to go thematically appropriate, and have the zombies all moving around throughout the game, going after heroes. Mind you, of course I will try, if I can, to get them NEAR the truck or building the heroes need, but I won’t just pile all my zombies there and leave them there.

What do you all think? What do you tend to do in scenarios like this?

I've a preference to go semi-thematic I guess you can call it. I always keep the zombies on the move, even if it's back and forth. But no issue with say two or three milling about a players objective or future objective.

I tend to avoid en mass pile up in any game, as some sort of explosive or pump shotgun can very quickly decimate your entire horde. Plus of course such inaction pretty much leaves the heroes to freely wander about and do and search as they please.

As a zombie player I constantly recycle cards regardless of scenario (to me the focal point to playing the zombies). Wherever possible I do "divide and conquer" tactics, where no mercy is given to isolated any hero. According to the players, I also have an uncanny and annoying knack of strategically blocking important doorways or certain squares. This forces the heroes hand and also avoids the need or want to have half of my horde focused on something while the heroes do/search as they please.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi

I will not tend to stock piling Zombie to a specific location, until the heroes are closer to their objective.

I dont feel it would be unusual for a Zombie to hang out in or near the truck the whole game though. I mean, some human aka lunch, could have died in it, and is to stupid to open the door.

How many times have you seen that in a movie ? Some dumb human becoming a Zombie and is stuck in a vehicle, building, walk in fridge, shower, tanning bed, what ever :p

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
It's always a good idea to have some form of control of the center board when you play the z side. The board gives easy acces to the outer boards and you prevent your enemy from using the center board for a quick escape. And the strategy helps in "defending" the truck.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
10-19-2012, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2012 08:05 PM by samuraitrev.)
I always guard the Gas Station with a couple of Zombies if the Gasoline ends up in the discard pile.. I like to kill the Hero holding the Keys and eat their brain..Zombie22
10-19-2012, 08:13 PM
It's funny to see that a lot of us kind of agree. Most of us pretty much said the same thing. We tend not to specifically pile a bunch of zombies there, but we will tend to make sure to keep them nearby just in case.

That said, I certainly have absolutely no problem with zombie players who decide to keep some, or even many of their zombies waiting in the space/area where the heroes eventually need to go. There is nothing against it in the rules.

I am just saying I personally don't like to do that. Though, as long as you aren't just stock piling all of your zombies there, it can actually add a nice thematic effect, now that I think about it. Imagine the heroes in a zombie movie finally successfully achieve what they were trying to do, then they get to the truck to escape, or get to their stockpile building to gather their weapons and move out...

Only to find out that there is a zombie, or several zombies, waiting for them right where they need to go.
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
(10-19-2012 08:13 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Imagine the heroes in a zombie movie finally successfully achieve what they were trying to do, then they get to the truck to escape, or get to their stockpile building to gather their weapons and move out...

Only to find out that there is a zombie, or several zombies, waiting for them right where they need to go.

It's classic!

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
10-19-2012, 09:14 PM
And as it happens, my nephew and I played Escape in the Truck a few hours ago with me as the Zombie player. I made the mistake of not leaving any zombies in the town center!!!