Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sci-fi Action Boardgame?
02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
RE: Sci-fi Action Boardgame?
I have Spacehulk first edition and will always have a soft spot for it as it was one of the first games I ever played (the other being Heroquest).

Spacehulk has relatively simple rules. However start playing it with aliens coming from all angles with the stopwatch running (used by the marines/terminators to show that the reaction time and the manoverablity of the aliens is far superior) and it can be quite nailbiting...
I also have the two expansions Deathwing and Genestealer but I'd stick with the original.

I also own Space Crusade by MB games it's quite good, but Hulk has so much more class.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Death Angel from FFG is a pretty fair representation of SpaceHulk with cards, which I frankly didn't think was possible. Once you get past the mildly baffling rulebook, it's a lot of fun for one to six players. Plays out in 30 to 60 minutes with minimal setup time.
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
(02-10-2011 06:23 AM)Talos Wrote:  Death Angel from FFG is a pretty fair representation of SpaceHulk with cards, which I frankly didn't think was possible. Once you get past the mildly baffling rulebook, it's a lot of fun for one to six players. Plays out in 30 to 60 minutes with minimal setup time.

+1 to that. I was blown away by how well Death Angel pulls off the whole Space Hulk feel (without the $300 on E-Bay price tag).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Amen to the price tag difference!

I'm doubly chuffed that Corey K, who designed Death Angel, has also designed Mansions of Madness. That's another game (OT in this thread, sorry) that I'm looking forward to.
02-11-2011, 12:24 AM
(02-10-2011 11:21 AM)Talos Wrote:  Amen to the price tag difference!

I'm doubly chuffed that Corey K, who designed Death Angel, has also designed Mansions of Madness. That's another game (OT in this thread, sorry) that I'm looking forward to.

Has he developed a bad game? BSG is a lot of fun, I've heard that Warrior Knights is excellent, Death Angel was damn good. Corey K seems to be magic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2011, 01:46 AM
I agree. I think he's the new golden boy at FFG. What really amazes me about Death Angel is the feeling of tension every time you move to location and have to flip blip cards. The mechanics are really solid and exciting. Even my wife took an interest when I explained the game flow to her and she is not really a 40k fan past thinking the minis are cool.

He seems to be able to craft very accessible games that can interest a seasoned player and novice alike.
02-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I've always wondered how those played out. I've only played the DOW PC game, which is awesome. I need to look up some videos bcause the DOW lore is very interesting.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I was checking out this thread & was getting ready to add MO but then realized I did a couple of years ago!
I know we've had some people joining & adding to old Threads with posts like "cool game" just to get to the
required # of posts for downloads (since corrected by Lord of the Worms) but when it's done right it does
add to the Forum.

Newer members adding opinions or information on Games that were not even out when the orginal post
was started are well worth bringing back the dead for so go for it new blood.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 12:19 AM by deadrabbit.)
other than games stored in my memory wearhouse i can only think of the obvious ones. space hulk ect.

A miniature board game called incursion by grind house games looks promising.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
02-12-2011, 03:50 AM
(02-11-2011 11:57 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I was checking out this thread & was getting ready to add MO but then realized I did a couple of years ago!

OK, I've been racking my brain since I read this post, trying to figure out what game you are talking about OD. Did you mean MC?