Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Showdown of Absurdity - Lucy Hanbrooke Vs. The Bog Fiend
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Showdown of Absurdity - Lucy Hanbrooke Vs. The Bog Fiend
Quote:Attention one and all, ladies and gentlemen of Shadowbrook, come witness the the horror, the bravery, the absurdity of tonight's battle, The Wicked ever-sliming Bog Fiend versus Shadowbrook's favorite lonely daughter, Lucy Hanbrook.

Only after seeing her father succumb to the wickedness of the beast and her mother to be influenced by the dreaded order of the er...best not to say their name...Lucy stands tall in a final showdown against the horrible swamp thing!

Their paths have merged at the Covered Bridge and there the battle erupted. Lucy's consort, the artful dodger, Maria De la Rosa, managed to single-handedly take out the corrupted: Hanbrook, Harding and Kroft, only to fall to the Bog Fiend's muculent hand. Leaving our blessed little child to brave the malicious macabre of the mutated mudskipper. With her Youth, her luck, a crossbow, and a Charm she found in the Old Wood, she must face this tyrant for all of Shadowbrook.

The smack down begins!
Round 1: FIGHT!
Lucy, scared and intimidated, misses the beast by a mile. It seems the beast has similar luck as he gets stuck in the mud, well out of reach of our dear Lucy.

Round 2:
Lucy delivers a mighty blow hitting the bog fiend three times (5 & 6)
The Bog Fiend counters, but the combination of Lucy's luck and the lost Charm just saves her from annihilation.

Round 3:
WHAT...what is this? The Bog fiend seems to be healing itself. The wounds Lucy bestowed upon it are gone! But no matter, she delivers another strike (5). The fiend delivers an astonishing blow that would have hit her thrice, but yet again her luck and the Charm have narrowed it to one hit. She is wounded.

Round 4:
My stars, what is going on? Can this be?! Both the Bog fiend and Lucy are healing right before our eyes! The bog fiend got sloppy and though he could flank the agile young lass, only to get pelted by 4 crossbow bolts (6 & 6).

Round 5:
By Grabthar's Hammer...The fiend has done it again! The slime has closed all of his wounds. Our heroine mounts the attack, and ooohhh! She slips in the mud, right on her puritanical tuchus. The fiend has her now, but no! Her luck and the Charm have saved her from deaths murky grasp...

Rounds 6 through 10 follow the pattern above pretty much repetitively. They each hurt each other they each heal. Lucy forces re-rolls of hits most times to misses, The bog fiend just rolled poorly. Once Lucy used an event card the nullified all hits, I forgot the actual name of the card but it was worth its weight in gold. In the 11th round, Lucy fell to 4 hits. But what a fight she put up.

I can actually say I have never had a showdown last 11 rounds. The showdown was a surprise showdown with the roll of 2 on the coop mystery chart. We were only in the 10th round of the game.

Quick question to readers, in a surprise showdown, does the villain get the already revealed Evil elders on his side? I assume it did because it only mentions skipping the hunting party and the hero abilities for round 1. Nothing about evil elders joining the villain.

Thoughts?

-W.J.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
RE: Showdown of Absurdity - Lucy Hanbrooke Vs. The Bog Fiend
Thanks for the awesome write up WJ. We tried the Bog Fiend for the first time a couple weekends ago - after Thanksgiving - and it crushed us. Just about the whole town was sunk. Can't wait to try our hand again - and hope we draw better luck. Coincidentally, we also had Lucy in the game - on a random character draw.

As for your question, it's a good one. What we've done with that in the past is reasoned that because it's a surprise - it's a surprise for both parties - heroes and villain - so no elders on either side for the first round - then the elders come running so to speak.

We do the same when a hero has to fight a single fight round with the villain - no evil elders. It's not as though he carries them around in his back pocket. eh?

Anyway, I haven't seen this question answered anywhere officially - so it's a house rule for us. Watchmen02
12-04-2012, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 07:23 AM by themanfromsaturn.)
11 rounds... I've seen old-timey bare knuckle boxing matches that didn't go that long.
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
"Malicious macabre of the mutated mudskipper"...+1 rep

"puratannical tuchus..."....PRICELESS! But I'll try to give more rep anyway!

12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah I can get a little goofy at times.