Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
So...mix 'em all together? Or keep 'em seperate?
10-11-2012, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 01:59 PM by Wasteland Jack.)
RE: So...mix 'em all together? Or keep 'em seperate?
(10-11-2012 05:45 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  We chalked up the crossed themes as "Shadowbrook is a spooky place and you never know what kind of evil you're going to run into." Plus we draw our heros at random - so you get a random cross section of abilities - well rounded if you will. That seems to work well with well rounded evil. If you taylor the evil on a given board you may render some characters weaker on certain boards than other. Not sure how that would play out.

True, however I am not really saying change villains by board, but choose a villain, then remove cards that completely do not apply to that particular villain. I don't think it would affect the play that much as most cards I am thinking of are minor altercations. Take for instance the Vial of Holy Water or the oath of devotion that you can purchase in the monastery, how can that effect the werewolf, it can't really, so why include it. Granted they are purchasable but that is the jist I was getting at.

edited for a typo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 09:52 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
depends on your definition of werewolf! What if it was a cursed thing? Unholy?

What if that resolve was also a means of willpower and courage...as i walk through the valley of death i shall fear no evil....
basically you work with it
basically you work with it...for example a werewolves curse could be merely homicidal mania

10-11-2012, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 10:34 PM by MoonSylver.)
(10-11-2012 01:50 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  that you mention it, I do recall getting attacked by a lycanthrope in the Olde Woods, but the Villain was the Unspeakable Horror. It didn't make much sense at all. We thought that I accidentally shuffled it in and just discarded and drew a new card.

With this in mind, I see where you are getting at I think, but not as much a board issue but a Villain issue. Maybe, depending on the villain, you should remove certain cards from the game that are not related to the villain.

Yeah, I think that is what I am getting at in a round about sort of way. One session I had against the Vampire had one thematic element that didn't fit when attacked by The Beast In The Dark (demonic), which has nothing to do with what was going on, when everything else fit perfectly.

I have contemplated discarding cards like this, just to save from having to go through all the decks weeding out cards, but I also like to play whats drawn (did I mention I was weird?)Insane20

That said, deck building for the purposes of theme is a strangely attractive idea, & I could even see as a remedy for deck bloat.

(10-11-2012 05:45 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  We chalked up the crossed themes as "Shadowbrook is a spooky place and you never know what kind of evil you're going to run into."

Yeah, I starting to lean this direction too. When I think of it as an ongoing series rather than just one stand alone story it makes more sense. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Last night I tried looking through the cards and analyzing which one would not apply to which villain....then a little voice said in my ear,

"Why are you bothering doing this, is it really that necessary? Can't you just play the game as is?"

I pondered this a bit...and realized, sometimes I just gotta play the hand I am dealt. The voice then said,

"You are such a geek, it's late, come up to bed. You've got work in the morning"

I shuffled all the cards back in with their respective piles and conceded that this topic is a moot point. I shall play the game as it was delivered and not question the Almighty Frog.

W.J.
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
One thing I thought of (though I haven't investigated) would be eliminate cards by Keyword. So if fighting A Demonic Villain, for example, take out encounters w/ keywords NOT "demonic".

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Wink RE: So...mix 'em all together? Or keep 'em seperate?
(10-12-2012 02:17 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  Last night I tried looking through the cards and analyzing which one would not apply to which villain....then a little voice said in my ear,

"Why are you bothering doing this, is it really that necessary? Can't you just play the game as is?"

I pondered this a bit...and realized, sometimes I just gotta play the hand I am dealt. The voice then said,

"You are such a geek, it's late, come up to bed. You've got work in the morning"

I shuffled all the cards back in with their respective piles and conceded that this topic is a moot point. I shall play the game as it was delivered and not question the Almighty Frog.

W.J.

LOL! Watchmen02
10-13-2012, 06:14 AM
(10-12-2012 02:17 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  Last night I tried looking through the cards and analyzing which one would not apply to which villain....then a little voice said in my ear,

W.J.

I just realized, the little voice in your ear sounds like my ex-wife...Zombie19
Freak02
---MSWatchmen01