Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solitaire ruleset for LNOE and GH
10-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Solitaire ruleset for LNOE and GH
Here's a solitaire ruleset that I've created for LNOE (with GH). It works pretty well to emulate some of the possible Zombie card play during particular situations in the game. I'm still tweaking this a bit, so if you try it out and have some suggestions for changes, by all means post them here...

---------------------------------------------------------

Remove the following cards from the full Zombie deck (the remainder of which is shuffled and called the Zombie Main Deck):

Bickering
Bitten (2)
Braaains
Catfight
Caught Off Guard
Despair (2)
Fighting Instincts
I Feel Kinda Strange (2)
It's Stuck (2)
Knocked Away
Last Night on Earth (2)
Locked Door (2)
Loss of Faith (2)
Resilient (2)
Scratch and Claw (2)
The Line is Dead
Trip
Undead Hate the Living (5)
Urrrrggghhh! (5)

Return "The Line is Dead" and one of the "Locked Door" cards to the box and set the other "Locked Door" card aside.

Shuffle the other cards from that group together to make a Zombie Special Deck.

To offset the effect of "The Line is Dead" card, which was removed, choose one Hero who begins inside a building. That Hero may not Search on their first turn. If no Heroes begin inside buildings, one of them does not receive a Hero card which they would normally be entitled to receive at the start of the game.

At the beginning of each Zombie turn, draw and play 2 cards from the Zombie Main Deck, inasmuch as they can be played. Play and move zombies in the way that would be most detrimental to the Heroes or that would most benefit the zombie objective in the particular scenario. Discard any card drawn that cannot reasonably be used.

Beginning with the second game turn, be aware of when one of the following situations occurs:

ANY FIGHT HAPPENS
HERO WINS A FIGHT
HERO TAKES A WOUND
TWO HEROES IN THE SAME SPACE AT START OF HERO TURN
HERO EVENT CARD IS PLAYED
ZOMBIE KILLED BY A GUN
A FAITH CARD IS IN PLAY
(check every turn if Father Joseph has it)
HERO PASSES HAND WEAPON BREAK CHECK
HERO MOVES 4-6 SPACES
(not merely rolls 4-6, but moves that far)

If one of those situations occurs, draw 2 or 3 cards from the Zombie Special Deck:
--draw 2 the first time
--draw 2 any time after there was a successful draw
--draw 3 any time after a draw was not successful

If one of the cards drawn is a card that could be played in the current situation, then play it and discard it. Return any cards that were not used to the Zombie Special Deck and reshuffle that deck.

"Locked Door": Once the turn marker has reached 8, shuffle the "Locked Door" card into the Zombie Special Deck and from that point on include HERO PASSES THROUGH A DOOR as a situation for which to draw from the Zombie Special Deck.

As cards are played, cross them off from the following list. If a situation has no more cards available, then you don't need to draw cards for it anymore. Note that there are only two "Loss of Faith" cards total, so when one is crossed off for one of its applicable situations, cross off one of the "Loss of Faith" cards for the other possible situation at the same time.

ANY FIGHT HAPPENS
Caught Off Guard
Fighting Instincts
It's Stuck
It's Stuck
Scratch and Claw
Scratch and Claw
Urrrggghhh
Urrrggghhh
Urrrggghhh
Urrrggghhh
Urrrggghhh

HERO WINS A FIGHT
Bitten
Bitten
Undead Hate the Living
Braaains

HERO TAKES A WOUND
I Feel Kinda Strange
Knocked Away

Bickering
Catfight
Last Night on Earth

Despair
Despair

ZOMBIE KILLED BY A GUN
Resilient

A FAITH CARD IS IN PLAY (check every turn if Father Joseph has it)
Loss of Faith
Loss of Faith

Loss of Faith
Loss of Faith

HERO MOVES 4-6 SPACES (not merely rolls 4-6, but moves that far)
Trip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2009, 02:00 AM
RE: Solitaire ruleset for LNOE and GH
For what it's worth, it sounds overly complicated. There was a set of solo rules on the BoardGameGeek.com forums that I have used to pretty good effect...the Zombie side of the game is INCREDIBLY easy to "automate" as it is.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Tommy Brownell Wrote:For what it's worth, it sounds overly complicated. There was a set of solo rules on the BoardGameGeek.com forums that I have used to pretty good effect...the Zombie side of the game is INCREDIBLY easy to "automate" as it is.

Yeah, I've played that version several times... it may have been my version that you're referring to... In essence, you draw and keep a Zombie hand as usual, but play every Zombie card the first possible time it can be played. A more detailed "Zombie A.I." version had a long list for how to play every Zombie card depending on the situation, but I found that to be tedious.

The real problem with those versions, though, is you don't really get a good feel for playing against an actual Zombie player because there are several situations where knowing what's in the Zombie hand ruins what would have been the more realistic way to play... for example, you're not going to put Johnny and Jenny in the same space when you know that "Last Night on Earth" is in the Zombie hand. This version gives you the uncertainty of being able to make decisions as the Heroes while not knowing for sure if the Zombies will be able to play a card against you. And the odds seem reasonably close to what they might be in a normal game for the right cards coming up now and then at the times when a Zombie player would want to play them.

Only the setup of this version is more work, in terms of pulling out the right cards. Once that's done, it's really very simple to actually play and after a while you get used to drawing the Zombie Special cards when those certain situations come up. It's intuitive because in real games those are the same situations where you're hoping the Zombie player doesn't have the right card to play against you. And if you forget to draw a card once in a while when you've done one of the situations, no big deal... assume that the Zombie player didn't have the right card.

Also, you can always disregard the rule about drawing either 2 or 3 cards... just draw 2 every time. And you can disregard the "Locked Door" thing. The only reason I pulled that out (well, partially) and "The Line is Dead" is because it would be a bit much to remember to draw every time a Hero searches or passes through a door. But those are the only fiddly elements, really. I think it works much better than the BGG versions at providing more of a competitive feeling solitaire game of LNOE. Give it a try sometime and then let me know what you think...

----------------------------------------

Here's the ruleset simplified as per my suggestions...

Remove the following cards from the full Zombie deck (the remainder of which is shuffled and called the Zombie Main Deck):

Bickering
Bitten (2)
Braaains
Catfight
Caught Off Guard
Despair (2)
Fighting Instincts
I Feel Kinda Strange (2)
It's Stuck (2)
Knocked Away
Last Night on Earth (2)
Locked Door (2)
Loss of Faith (2)
Resilient (2)
Scratch and Claw (2)
The Line is Dead
Trip
Undead Hate the Living (5)
Urrrrggghhh! (5)

Return "The Line is Dead" and the "Locked Door" cards to the box. Shuffle the other cards from that group together to make a Zombie Special Deck.

To offset the effect of "The Line is Dead" card, which was removed, choose one Hero who begins inside a building. That Hero may not Search on their first turn. If no Heroes begin inside buildings, one of them does not receive a Hero card which they would normally be entitled to receive at the start of the game.

At the beginning of each Zombie turn, draw and play 2 cards from the Zombie Main Deck, inasmuch as they can be played. Play and move zombies in the way that would be most detrimental to the Heroes or that would most benefit the zombie objective in the particular scenario. Discard any card drawn that cannot reasonably be used.

Beginning with the second game turn, be aware of when one of the following situations occurs:

ANY FIGHT HAPPENS
HERO WINS A FIGHT
HERO TAKES A WOUND
ZOMBIE KILLED BY A GUN
A FAITH CARD IS IN PLAY
(check every turn if Father Joseph has it)
HERO MOVES 4-6 SPACES
(not merely rolls 4-6, but moves that far)

If one of those situations occurs, draw 2 cards from the Zombie Special Deck:
If one of the cards drawn is a card that could be played in the current situation, then play it and discard it. Return any cards that were not used to the Zombie Special Deck and reshuffle that deck.
09-24-2010, 02:25 AM
awesome mod
really gets the feel of a ghost zombie player down
and tough without being over the top

only real suggestions:
-deadly surprise is a special card
-locked door stays in special and if it appears, roll a random building and chose the best door
-resolve issues of "choose a hero" by rolling random (we had 2 people as humans, so she was 1-3 and i was 4-6, then split your two heroes into 1-3 and 4-6)
zombies get option of grave weapon once there are 8 zs on the board, whereupon you put any -grave weapons on before adding new zs

that's all i figure for now
good stuff!

..and everyone they kill gets up and kills..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
is there an updated version of this rule set including the new expansion cards?
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
No, I just haven't had time to do that. There are so many new additions with Survival of the Fittest that it would be pretty involved to try to integrate that with this system. Also, things like the Grave Weapons and barricades have created more choices for the zombie player as far as what they should do from turn to turn, so I think it would be particularly hard to effectively adapt that to this solitaire version.
05-26-2011, 10:14 PM
(05-26-2011 03:49 PM)Grudunza Wrote:  No, I just haven't had time to do that. There are so many new additions with Survival of the Fittest that it would be pretty involved to try to integrate that with this system. Also, things like the Grave Weapons and barricades have created more choices for the zombie player as far as what they should do from turn to turn, so I think it would be particularly hard to effectively adapt that to this solitaire version.

That's true. The deeper the game gets the harder your job becomes. I'm affraid my solo pays will be restricted to the older and simplier scenarios.

Organize before they rise!