Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Solo play?
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Solo play?
I tried looking for threads discussing solo play for ATOE in detail but wasn't able to find any outside of mentions that it is possible. I'm considering getting the base set mainly for solo play - is it going to be worth it?

Thanks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: Solo play?
I think the game is worth playing as a solo game, however I would use coop rules and a few heroes (2-4) as it would bring more depth to the game.

I tried as a test play through to get the jist of the rules with just one hero and it was awfully one-sided and honestly a bit dull. At least with two or more Heroes you get a diversity of abilities to use against the villain.

Sorry to be intrusive, but is there a reason you are only looking for solo play? So far, I have felt that FFP games seem to be party focused and honestly a lot more fun in groups.
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2012, 12:03 AM
ATOE is HIGHLY playable Solo (SW adds "official" rules for it, which are really just a few tweaks. You can still play the core set solo right out of the box). Right now it's the only option available to me.

I'll have to disagree w/ Jack on a couple of points:

I have highly enjoyable games w/ just 1 Hero. I have tried it with more, but it's "more to manage", so I went back to just one.

I got stomped the first few times until I learned the game, but it made that 1st victory oh so sweet. I still have very challenging games, win some, lose some, but they're almost always close, with the odd blow out either way.

Now, having said that, it probably depends on what kind of gamer you are. For me, the Solo play yields such enjoyment because of the narrative that emerges from game play. I have fun imagining the story, composing dialog in my head, etc, as I play.

YMMV, of course. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the inputs! You may have convinced me to pick up the game.

To answer Wasteland Jack, well I don't have a constant playgroup - most of my friends aren't into board gaming (they aren't even into video games). It's already a struggle trying to find people that would enjoy IFOS when I first tried to form a group; I've even had problems finding enough people to play with the more visually stunning LNOE despite the more popular theme. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I think I'll have even more trouble getting people to play ATOE with me so like MoonSylver, solo play might be the only option for me at the moment.
10-17-2012, 02:14 AM
For what it's worth, I've found it to be impressive in solo and co-op. The only thing I don't tend to care for is competitive play.

But it is THE board game that I can bring out any time my buddies are over or I can bust out by myself and have a great time regardless.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
10-17-2012, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2012 01:52 PM by Wasteland Jack.)
(10-17-2012 12:09 AM)LabRat Wrote:  Thanks for the inputs! You may have convinced me to pick up the game.

To answer Wasteland Jack, well I don't have a constant playgroup - most of my friends aren't into board gaming (they aren't even into video games). It's already a struggle trying to find people that would enjoy IFOS when I first tried to form a group; I've even had problems finding enough people to play with the more visually stunning LNOE despite the more popular theme. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I think I'll have even more trouble getting people to play ATOE with me so like MoonSylver, solo play might be the only option for me at the moment.

I understand your pain my friend. I used to have a group of about 6 consistent players, then we all got married, which turned to maybe 9 consistent players, then we all had kids, now it is 2 consistent players.

My review was purely going on that I played core game solo when I first bought it to learn how the mechanics worked. After that I have always played with at least 1 other player.

Since then I have not tried since then, maybe MoonSylver and Tommy are onto something. I should try it out myself when I get a couple hours to spare.
(10-17-2012 12:03 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Now, having said that, it probably depends on what kind of gamer you are. For me, the Solo play yields such enjoyment because of the narrative that emerges from game play. I have fun imagining the story, composing dialog in my head, etc, as I play.

YMMV, of course. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01

I think I have found someone as crazy as me. My buddy and I typically play it out like a movie.
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
AToE is easy to Solo but in the SWTWC Expansion
Full Solo Rules are included.

OD[/i]

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
(10-17-2012 01:37 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I think I have found someone as crazy as me.

Or maybe even more so. Insane20
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Noooooooo...

I was already planning to get Growing Hunger, and now it looks like I'll have to get both ATOE and Something Wicked.
10-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Like OD said, base game is pretty much playable Solo right out of the box, but SW does codify & clarify the best way to do so & adds a few rules.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from getting SW. It's great & adds a lot. As does The Coast. And HP's 1 & 2. And The Allies & The Madness. And...Insane20
---MSWatchmen01