Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sprained Ankle question
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Sprained Ankle question
If a hero rolls a die to see whether or not they can barricade or get a Survival Tactic card, if they get a 1 for that, can you slap "Sprained Ankle" on them? It says you can play it on any hero that rolls a 1 for movement, and the roll for those two things is technically a movement roll, though it's not actually being used to move
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2010, 02:40 AM
RE: Sprained Ankle question
The hero ALWAYS gets a movement roll. And, with cards like Sprained Ankle, they should be forced to take it even if they plan to search. It took my group a few times of playing for them to get that, so I no longer have to telegraph to them when I have that card by always asking, "Would you roll your movement die?"

Exceptions: They lose their turn, or they're performing a scenario action (like gassing up the truck or blowing up a spawn point) in which they "give up their turn". In these cases, they get no parts of their turn, including the movement portion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2010, 03:47 AM
I moved the thread to the "Rules" section as this is more appropriate.
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
So even if they have no intention of moving, they still have to roll? Like, if they start their turn and they know for certain they're going to search, they still have to roll a die?

And thanks zombie67, I didn't realize I posted it somewhere else >.<
09-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes, Criesto. They always get the roll, no matter what. And, since Sprained Ankle, they always have to take it.
09-16-2010, 03:25 AM
I have changed my opinion slightly. With the wording of "Youth", they would not roll if using it. They "give up their full action to fully heal". So the move action doesn't happen at all. With that, I'd also say if they're going to use Youth, they have to decide before rolling.
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
From the rules on page 11 of the basic game. "Move Action (Move or Search)", "Move to move the Hero rolls a d6 and may then move", "Search - Instead of moving a Hero inside a building may use their move action to search."

The way i see it the is nothing that makes you HAVE to roll if you want to make a regular search. Even if you MAY roll first then decide what you want to do with your turn.

If you do roll however (trying to barricade or trying for survival deck cards) id say the card is valid.
12-31-2010, 09:06 PM
(12-30-2010 12:45 PM)Damienxxx Wrote:  From the rules on page 11 of the basic game. "Move Action (Move or Search)", "Move to move the Hero rolls a d6 and may then move", "Search - Instead of moving a Hero inside a building may use their move action to search."

The way i see it the is nothing that makes you HAVE to roll if you want to make a regular search. Even if you MAY roll first then decide what you want to do with your turn.

If you do roll however (trying to barricade or trying for survival deck cards) id say the card is valid.

Based on the wording, I'd have to disagree with you. It says the hero rolls a D6 to move, it doesn't say they "may" roll a D6 to move. The part that has "may" attached to it is the part about actually moving. It seems that, based on the wording, you have to roll but the movement itself is optional.
12-31-2010, 11:22 PM
(12-31-2010 09:06 PM)Criesto Wrote:  
(12-30-2010 12:45 PM)Damienxxx Wrote:  From the rules on page 11 of the basic game. "Move Action (Move or Search)", "Move to move the Hero rolls a d6 and may then move", "Search - Instead of moving a Hero inside a building may use their move action to search."

Based on the wording, I'd have to disagree with you. It says the hero rolls a D6 to move, it doesn't say they "may" roll a D6 to move. The part that has "may" attached to it is the part about actually moving. It seems that, based on the wording, you have to roll but the movement itself is optional.

I have to agree. The rules state that to make a move action, the hero rolls then can move if they want to. The rules basically say, the hero gets a move action every turn, if they take it or not. Therefore any card played during a move action can be used during that action if the hero actually moves or not.

However, this comes down to "House Rules" too... Some cards and actions have to come down to a "Ruling" on how it works by the people playing that particular game. When I play and an issue with a card pops up (or any issue for that matter), we decide on the 2 most likely options, then vote on it. [i.e. I'm not moving at all, no searching or anything, just holding ground: Sprained Ankle can not be played. I am not moving but I am searching: Well you have to "Move" to search, sprained ankle is valid... that kinda thing.] So sometimes it is up to who is playing.

Remember: It is just a game and not everything in a game is logical or even makes sense sometimes. Just use common sense and if it seems totally wrong... make a House Rule on it. Watchmen02
12-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm quite sure you roll before anything you do, so they could play it on you.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."