Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Star Trek Fleet Captains
11-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Star Trek Fleet Captains
Just found out from my sis that thus is on the way to me for Xmas from her and my mum.

I have been reading very good reports on BGG regarding gameplay and theme, with most people saying it is the best ST game out.

In the other hand there are a lot bad comments about the quality of the components.

Anybody got it?

Verdict?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2014, 05:00 PM
RE: Star Trek Fleet Captains
Don't have it (but hey..gotta keep up my post countWatchmen02

I did however check it out when it was published & thought
it sounded cool but I have a ton of Battlefleet Gothic stuff
I've never done anything with plus Battleship Saturn which
I 've done likewise. So I didn't see the point of picking up
another Space Combat Game.

It does have 2 Expansions out & of course it's the Star Trek
Universe so mega cool setting.

I've read the Reviews on the components but I don't think
there really that serious. The Ship Miniatures look OK to
me. The Game mechanics get high marks so I think
you'll enjoy it.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-29-2015, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 03:06 PM by zombie67.)
Having now played three games of Fleet Captains I can report back that it is excellent. Really captures the complete feel of Trek, from alien encounters, space battles, exploration and expansion through the stars. The game has leapt into my top 5 favourite games.

The ship models are really good and look great painted...will add some picks in the next few days.

The cards etc are flimsy but for us they will be fine. If I was a member of a regular gaming group I would definitely do what others on BGG have done and sleeve the cards and laminate the location hexes.

The Romulan expansion is now a must buy, though probably won't bother with the Dominion set as I still have never seen all of DS9.

Now, if a Borg expansion is released that will also be a must buy!

I can highly recommend this game!
01-29-2015, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 03:29 PM by BigDumbYak.)
I thought DS9 was a great show. The wife and I are both big fans of TNG, so I'll definitely be taking a look at this game now, thanks!

Are they Location CARDS or Location TILES? some of the pics on BGG look pretty thin.
01-29-2015, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 04:50 PM by zombie67.)
They are "cards" but as you say very thin, more like very thick printer paper. As I said, I know some people have laminated them and that would help if the game would likely get major table time.

I have watched a lot of DS9 and liked it a lot....especially once Sisko's hair moved from the top of his head to around his mouth, rather like the Riker bearded Next Gen episodes, DS9 got a lot better when Sisko's grew his beard.

I have seen odd episodes of the Dominion thread but I need to watch them all in order, though must finish going through all the episodes of Battlestar first.