Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Star Wars: The Card Game
09-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Star Wars: The Card Game
Picked up the core set of Star Wars: The Card Game last week in hopes of finding a fun dueling game to play with my wife. I was not dissapointed. Its a race for the light side to destroy three dark side objectives before the dark side finishes building the Death Star. Its Asymetric. The Dark Side player doesn't have to destroy the light side objectives (although it may help). The Dark Side goal is just to defend their objectives and complete the Death Star.

Throughout the game, there is an ongoing struggle to control the balance of the force. This goes on separately from the battles and gives the feel of an epic struggle going on.

Before each engagement, players participate in an "edge battle". This battle involves a cool bluffing mechanic and goes really fast. Whoever wins has the "edge" in the engagement that follows the edge battle. The edge battle represents all the sneaking around that happens before a star wars battle. Ex: breaking into the imperial outpost on Endor to shut down the Death Star's shields. Stuff like that.

If you've played card games before, you'll pick it up fairly quickly. We've had a great time with it so far. It does seem like the core set is a little light and would be greatly improved after picking up an expansion, but its totally playable and fun right outa the box. The art on the cards is beautiful. The game really captures the theme and shouldn't dissapoint Star Wars fans.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2013, 04:28 PM
RE: Star Wars: The Card Game
I own the core set and a few of the expansion packs unfortunately my friend and I just can't seem to get into it as easily as others it seems ad we are puzzled as to why, he's a long time MTG player, I'll admit I am a rookie when it comes to card games other than a few deck builders I own.

The art is amazing, when i see others play it looks amazngly fun, hopefully it clicks for me because I refuse to drop any extra money nto it if I don't have any fun.
09-28-2013, 01:59 AM
(09-27-2013 04:28 PM)SoCalRMD Wrote:  I own the core set and a few of the expansion packs unfortunately my friend and I just can't seem to get into it as easily as others it seems ad we are puzzled as to why, he's a long time MTG player, I'll admit I am a rookie when it comes to card games other than a few deck builders I own.

The art is amazing, when i see others play it looks amazngly fun, hopefully it clicks for me because I refuse to drop any extra money nto it if I don't have any fun.

Totally hear you on dropping more money. I had that experience with the Lord of the Rings LCG. Spent about $100 before I realized I didn't like it.
I can probably talk my wife into letting me spend the cash to get the Edge of Darkness expansion so I can play the other two factions.

I'm really curious about Android: Netrunner as a good two player card game but I just can't make myself care about the theme.
09-28-2013, 01:52 PM
The only thing that makes me ponder a buy is it being two player. Like android netrunner which I also hear is very good it just won't see enough play for 2 people only.
09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
(09-28-2013 01:52 PM)ch82 Wrote:  The only thing that makes me ponder a buy is it being two player. Like android netrunner which I also hear is very good it just won't see enough play for 2 people only.

The upcoming deluxe expansion 'Balance of the Force' allows it to be played with 4 people in two different ways. 2vs2 or 3vs1. In 3vs1, its three Light Side players against one powerful Dark Side player.
09-28-2013, 09:18 PM
hmm.. may have to check that out! only with the exp though..
10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Been having some great fun this this game. I like the theme (come on who doesn't like Star Wars, well the first three movies by production date any way?).
Offers some great tactical and play options and for me doesn't involve the same money sink that Magic the Gathering did.
Also finding this played more casually too, hell we all like to win but other card games (MTG) totally mess with my head when I get slaughtered!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2013, 01:23 PM
i used to like MTG.. but it got REAL BAD on the money stink as you say. used to bea year or 2 between expansions. now it's moneths. and if you don't have the latest exp.. you almost get left in the dust.

I looked at a starter deck for a 2010 set and an original '5' deck... simply no comparison to what you could buy then vs now for the same mana...