Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starving Dead (Zombie Upgrade, One Use)
10-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Starving Dead (Zombie Upgrade, One Use)
The card says:

"Reveal the top 5 cards from the Hero Deck and remove them from the game (except any Scenario Search Items)."

Do we have any official answer on what happens to the Scenario Search Items that are revealed? They obviously aren't removed from the game, but are they put in the discard pile? Back on top of the Hero Deck (and left known - this seems very disadvantageous to the Zombie, and since it's a Zombie Upgrade that seems awful), or put into the Hero Card Discard Pile (may also be too good for the Heroes since Pick-Ups can access them), or shuffled back into the Hero Deck? I'm leaning towards shuffling back into the Hero Deck, but I'd like a more definitive answer.

A secondary question, do you draw another card to replace it so that always five total are removed from the game, or does getting a Scenario Search Item or more than one mean simply that fewer cards are removed? (I'm leaning towards the latter.)

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2017, 11:30 AM
RE: Starving Dead (Zombie Upgrade, One Use)
Pretty poorly written isn't it? geesh. I would probably play it that they are returned to the top of the deck in the same order. Usually the "reveal" mechanic comes with an instruction to either discard them or put them back in any order. We don't have that here so if we take the word "reveal" literally we are simply revealing the cards that are at the top of the deck. The instruction tells us what to do if they are not senario search items, so otherwise I think we just put them back after we reveal them. It is a risk/reward option for the zombies but it can have its use. Either late in the game when cards become scarce or right after a hero gets to put cards back in any order like with the Hopeful Discovery card.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
10-18-2017, 02:21 PM
I assumed the cards were discarded instead of removed from the game based on the other zombie cards that discard from the hero deck. I just assumed the text about scenario search items were a reiteration of the standard rule that scenario search items can not be removed from the game.

This card needs clarification from the designer!
10-19-2017, 11:21 AM
(10-18-2017 02:21 PM)August700212 Wrote:  I assumed the cards were discarded instead of removed from the game ...
But the card actually says to remove them from the game. There isn't room for assumption there.
The only question is what to do with scenario search items.

10-19-2017, 02:01 PM
(10-19-2017 11:21 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  
(10-18-2017 02:21 PM)August700212 Wrote:  I assumed the cards were discarded instead of removed from the game ...
But the card actually says to remove them from the game. There isn't room for assumption there.
The only question is what to do with scenario search items.

The assumption is on the scenario search items. jeffd1830 has a good question that I do not have an answer for.
10-20-2017, 03:56 PM
IMO, short of an official answer defining the mechanics of "reveal", it has to mean just look at and put back.

10-21-2017, 02:12 AM
Reveal means to flip over and display to all the players. The real need for clarity is on what to do with the Scenario Search Items. I've always played that they go back on top of the deck.
10-21-2017, 04:00 PM
I haven't been able to find anything official but I would put any Scenario Search Items into the discard pile. (This occurrence is going to be quite rare anyway)

I hate to have to reshuffle the deck. Yes, I know it's a disadvantage to the Zombie player to have Scenario Search Items in the discard pile but the Heroes have a tough time as it is. This way just feels right to me.
05-22-2018, 04:32 PM
We've always played that any cards revealed that don't have explicit instructions - such as to discard or shuffle - go to the BOTTOM of the deck. So yeah, you know there were Scenario Items right there, waiting to be picked up. But, alas, Zed had other plans for what was about to happen.

But that's our groups interpretation; your mileage and ruleset may vary. Watchmen02