Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
State of Decay (Xbox/PC)
06-06-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: State of Decay (Xbox/PC)
The animations looked awful I mean I don't understand why they can't put some more time and effort into making it a great game. I wish they had a MMO RPG that was zombie apocalypse themed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I bought the game this weekend and here is my review of only the first three hours of playing the game.

First Impressions - Ok, in Alderdusts and Emps vain, the graphics on this game resemble that of about the year 2000. A decade and a third later, players expect some crisper pixels and awesome visuals. They are not in this game. Do I think that takes away from the gameplay, maybe, if you are into flashy scenes and visuals. Also looking off into the distance does not help as there is a very apparent fog of war around the player.

However, game play is fun. Controls are good and mechanics are interesting. The developers could have had more of a tutorial of how to use the menu effectively, but it still works. Mind you, just because you go into the menu doesn't mean that game time stops. If you are about to be clobbered by a hoard of zeds, don't think going to the main menu to switch out your broken machete will stop them from attacking. You have to be smart and use the menu items when you take breaks whilst under the cover of safety/hidden.

There is also a feature of fatigue as well as a health bar. While they aren't described wholeheartedly, most gamers will get the jist. However, when you are tired, you suffer. You can't run as far or quickly, and your swings are much slower. This puts more emphasis on sneaking around to conserve energy and food than just going balls-to-the-wall into every zed you see.

The good thing is you don't play a single player, you play individuals of a group. You can switch out as different members at variable times. Each member has strengths and weaknesses in different areas. While you may want smash z-heads with the arrogant and hotheaded cop, he's not the best one to cool down a situation of arguing within the base. It would seem you need to be smart as who to use when. Also, not all missions can be solved. Often times the player will be given an opportunity only to have it pass because you are busy elsewhere gathering supplies.

Also, gathering supplies is important to keeping your base safe and secure. This part of the game is not very well documented, maybe for the reason that time passes while you are in the main menu reading about the base and it's options. So I haven't really figured out how to increase the base size or add new defenses. But I only played for like I said 3 hours so hopefully these things will reveal themselves later.

All in all, I found the first two hours fun. It does feel a little more like a RPG simulation than a hack and slash Left for Dead or Dead Island. Graphics could be better, but I did not find that it hindered the game that much.

I'll try to follow up with another review of the 10 hour mark or so. Also talk more about base building when I learn more.

-W.J.
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
(06-17-2013 01:28 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  The good thing is you don't play a single player, you play individuals of a group. You can switch out as different members at variable times. Each member has strengths and weaknesses in different areas. While you may want smash z-heads with the arrogant and hotheaded cop, he's not the best one to cool down a situation of arguing within the base. It would seem you need to be smart as who to use when.

Thanks for the review WJ, the comment above is what seems to make the game interesting and different than L4D or Dead Island etc. I like the strategy involved in who to use in what situation. I am probably going to skip this one but if it drops in price or becomes a better multiplayer game.
06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks W.J. for your review. Followed the game a while ago and can't wait for the PC release. Definitely a must-have for me.

I am normally one of the 'arcade' gamer but sometimes I like it when a game got a breath of rpg, like Borderlands 1&2. It seems the game got the elements I miss in 'Day Z' and 'The War Z' ('Infestation' since the update).

Looking forward to hear your impressions when you played it a few hours more.
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Updated Review:

Ok, After about 15 hours of game play and admittedly a few restarts I will go on record that this game is probably the best zombie apocalypse simulator I have played. Think Rebuild, but you actually perform the searches and captures. I have gotten over the graphics issue, and there are a few minor bugs, but all in all, great game.

It does play like a GTA style sandbox game where you can really go out and do anything you want to do. If you want to gather supplies for the home front, or just level up the character by bashing a few heads it is up to you. However, if you choose not to complete certain missions after a set period of time, they will resolve without you, be it in your favor or not, mostly not. Also you need to keep your people happy, this may mean settling an argument between two survivors, or just down right forcing one out of the base.

Keeping your survivors happy is almost a full time job. Morale is an important issue. If the moral is low at the base, you lose influence points, these points allow you to build more structures at the base (workshop, sleeping quarters, infirmary, kitchen to name a few). Also the points can be spent to search for missing survivors to join the team, or to upgrade the current structures to be more efficient.

The player also needs to make friends with the other survivors in order to be able to use them as playable survivors. Survivors get tired or hurt, if they are, you need to switch them out with friends in order for them to get back to 100% (There are penalties to being tired and hurt). Each survivor has certain perks that might make them more advantageous for your current mission or plan. It is best to review the traits of all the survivors and then determine who to focus your attentions on. Usually, gaining friendship comes with helping that survivor with a problem they have.

On to the Zeds,

One thing I have found, you can not just willy-nilly go around killing zombies. Eventually, if the survivor is tired or hurt, they will weaken and not perform at their best. One-on-One is not too bad, even a two-on-one isn't destructive but there are roaming hoards of about 8 to 10, that if alerted, will swarm upon you, and if you have a weak character at the moment, you are done. Creeping silently through the night, hiding in bushes and behind sheds is a necessity to keep your survivors alive.

Also there are your super-zeds so to say. So far I have come upon 4:
  • Feral - Think like Hunters in Left for Dead, agile and tough.
  • Big Uns - Like Juggernauts in LFD
  • Screamers - When close enough they scream which momentarily stuns the survivors and attracks more zombies.
  • Gasser or Bloater - They explode releasing toxic fumes that harm the survivors.
They are hard, and I will honestly say that these are what kill my survivors more often than not. Avoid these guys at all costs. You can run them over in cars, well all except Big Uns, but stay away from hand to hand combat.

While I am at it, vehicles. They are really good for mowing down Zs, but they do get damaged and can flip over and toss your survivor like a rag doll out the open door or window. If they survive, better hope there is a car or safe ground nearby, because in your weakened state, you are just ripe for the picking. Oh, also they can explode, which for one can kill your survivor, and two once a car is done, it is done for the rest of the game.

Infestations, the more of them there are, the worse it gets. Morale goes down the tubes if there is more than one infestation around your base. There are missions where other survivors from other bases need help getting rid of infestations. I have done a few and for the most part I have survived, however most of the times there are at least two screamers within the building that is infested, if they start on you and there are hoards around, you are going to have trouble staying alive. Sometimes it is better to run away, to keep your survivor alive. Granted the neighbor who asked for your help won't trust you anymore, but it is better to have more survivors alive in your base than it is to have other bases trust you.

This game is a time eater. It will engross you and have you begging for more. I start playing and all of a sudden it is four hours later and I am no nearer where I want to be before I retire for the day. Be warned.

-W.J.