Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
StayPuft Game Report: LNOE - Escape in the Truck
12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
StayPuft Game Report: LNOE - Escape in the Truck
So, if and when I do share my game reports, they aren’t likely to be as awesomely detailed as the ones Samurai shares with us. I don’t tend to remember every step of my games, and never wanted to bother to takes notes. I just play and have fun. So, mine will more so be some of the simple highlights of the game. For those reasons, my reports will just be very simple and discussion based, basically.

Scenario: Escape in the Truck

In my recent game night, we played another round of “Escape in the Truck.” I was zombies this time. The game didn’t start off so good for my zombies. I didn’t roll very many for my initial zombies (I think I had 5 or 6) and I kept not being able to roll high enough to spawn more. I also kept either getting fairly weak cards, or cards that I couldn’t really use. For example, I kept getting all the cards allowing me to stop a zombie from being killed by a gun at times when NOBODY HAD A GUN! LOL!

To make matters worse, within the first few rounds, the heroes found the card “Just what I needed” and got the gas. They were quickly able to get to the truck and gas it up. Then, just about every freaking step of the way, when I tried to use a card to do something, they just had one to cancel it right away. So, it was starting to look like it was going to be a super boringly quick game.

Sure enough… Jake Cartwright, the Drifter finds the keys. Wonderful. Game over, and only in a few rounds, right? Well… not quite!

See, Jake happened to have two zombies waiting for him when he found those keys, and had already taken one wound. So, since he couldn’t move since he just got done searching, in came two hungry zombies. Jake fought valiantly, but took another wound. I don’t know why the card name is suddenly escaping my mind, but I was then able to play the card that would turn him into a Zombie Hero if he took another wound. Time for Jake to fight the other zombie… sure enough, Jake takes a wound, dies, and is reborn as my Zombie Hero. Unfortunately for the heroes, that meant bye bye to the keys.

So, now we had a game on our hands! Now the zombies started to take control. In fact, at one point, Becky the Nurse fought Zombie Jake, and took a wound. And, wouldn’t you know it? “The Smell of Brains” attracted FIVE other zombies into the space. Unfortunately for me, a couple helpful cards allowed the heroes to kill EVERY SINGLE ONE of those five zombies. LOL! Talk about hitting a big lucky break, only to have it thrown in your face. Even though it happened to me, though, I still LOVED it. It was epically AWESOME!

Later on, a zombie stumbled upon the keys, and being very hungry, thought perhaps he would snack on them. They didn’t satisfy his hunger, or taste very good, but it did succeed in removing them from the game (I played a card that allowed me to remove a Hero card in the discard pile from the game completely.)

The game wound up going all the way to 3 on the sun tracker, but the heroes did eventually manage to finally find the other set of keys, and managed to get all remaining heroes safely on the truck and out of there. So, I did not win that time, but I never care whether I win or lose with this game. It wound up being an epic and awesome game, and that is truly all that matters!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: StayPuft Game Report: LNOE - Escape in the Truck
Nice report. That's the thing when you have fun losing you know its a good game. Watchmen02
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Tell me about it! ;-) I couldn't agree more. This particular game session was just amazing. It started out seeming like it was going to be over almost right away with very little struggle. It was shaping up to be boring, quick, and over without either side really even getting to do much of anything.

Then... right when it seemed like the game was about to be over very early, the tide turned, the hero with the keys died, and the game wound up taking almost all the way to the end! God, I love Last Night On Earth!
12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi staypuft I enjoyed reading your game report. Lots of twists and turns. The game is full of surprises. I've played games before thinking "I just can't lose I've done everything" and then got wiped out. I must admit I get angry for a second or two "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" but the red mists clear and I'm reminded that it ain't over 'till it's overWatchmen02
12-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Sometimes it cool to loose (well that's what my wife tells me-when my 10 year old grand nephew beats me I do
sulk).I really enjoy battle reports.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-08-2012, 09:16 PM
This is a great play report; thanks!

My family's first play was with this scenario, and it played out much like your own. My wife controlled Becky and Jake, my eldest daughter played as the Sheriff, and my youngest as Jenny. Within two turns, Becky found the gasoline and Jake found the keys. With only four zombies on the board, the heroes mad dashed it to the truck, leaving me worried that our first game would end so flat.

But then a great series of events turned the tide: I played the 'There's Too Many!' card, spawned a heap of zombies on that turn, then marched them straight towards the truck. On the turn right after the truck was fueled, I played the 'Overconfidence' card on the Sheriff. The now power drunk Sheriff leapt off the truck and started hand-to-hand combating the four zombies who had surrounded them (he had run out of ammo the following turn), amazingly killing two of them in the process. Jake, who was behind the wheel, stupidly left the vehicle to help out the now wounded (and much less confident) Sheriff. On my following turn I played an 'Unnecessary Self Sacrifice' on the drifter, then surrounded the truck with the rest of my zombies.

Let's just say it didn't end pretty for the heroes. Watchmen02
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
(12-07-2012 09:08 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hi staypuft I enjoyed reading your game report. Lots of twists and turns. The game is full of surprises. I've played games before thinking "I just can't lose I've done everything" and then got wiped out. I must admit I get angry for a second or two "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" but the red mists clear and I'm reminded that it ain't over 'till it's overWatchmen02

LOL! I hear ya there. When I was able to successfully use "The Smell of Brains" to bring FIVE extra zombies in there all at once, I couldn't help but be slightly ticked off for a second as a couple lucky cards helped them kill EVERY SINGLE ONE. But... after that second, I couldn't help but geek out at how freaking awesome that was!

(12-08-2012 06:31 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Sometimes it cool to loose (well that's what my wife tells me-when my 10 year old grand nephew beats me I do
sulk).I really enjoy battle reports.

OD

Indeed. We all certainly typically want to win, but the measure of an awesome game is when you can have so much fun that you don't care either way.

By the way,

Wow, D Boon! That was very similar to my game session. ;-) Too funny.