Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steam Powered Giraffe
07-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Steam Powered Giraffe
Has anybody else ever heard of Steam Powered Giraffe? They are a very…unique band, to say the least. My wife recently discovered them and showed them to me. We both now love them. There songs are great (sort of an old time feeling), but you must watch the videos to get the full effect of their awesomeness. LOL! I can’t even do it justice by explaining, so you will have to just check it out. My wife and my favorite song by them is Honeybee, but I think this one may actually be a better introduction to them:

Steam Powered Giraffe video
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: Steam Powered Giraffe
I checked the link and it said 'no video uploaded' maybe it's 'cos I'm on my PS3.
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Hmm... That is weird. It still works for me. Maybe it doesn't work on the PS3.
07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey Staypuft! I've watched some of the Giraffes videos on YouTube, they are very talented and performatic. Pretty cool and I'll definetely will listen more of their musics!

I'd like to share something from Brazil that resembles Steam Powered Giraffes (at least their performatic skills and the ability to use the song's words - unfortunately, non-Portuguese speakers won't understand). Maybe you'll enjoy, they're called "O Teatro Mágico" (Magic Theatre) and they bring the travelling-circus theme to their shows. I'm not a huge fan, but I always respect a good music and musicians and I`ve gone to some of their shows. There's a link for their 'MTV-focused' videoclip, but if you like it, try to find some of their live shows on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smyyQfsPhBs
07-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Awesome! Didn't think anybody else would have heard of them. Glad I'm not the only one here who enjoys them. ;-)

Thanks for sharing the link to the O Teatro Mágico song! They are pretty cool too. Unfortunately, I don't speak Portuguese, so it doesn't have quite the same effect I am sure it would if I could understand the lyrics. But, they do look really cool (love the make-up) and the song was really catchy even if I couldn't understand the lyrics.
07-21-2012, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 06:32 PM by vikinglad.)
Oh man, my entire family thanks you for turning us on to Steam Powered Giraffe. I have been a steampunk fan for quite a while, but have always been a bit disappointed in the music from steampunk style bands. These guys are great! That song Honeybee is so mesmerizing to me. I listened to it about 10 times yesterday. Brass Goggles is really good too. The videos of them in Balboa park are funny.

They play shows at the San Diego Zoo everyday right now. Maybe I can go see them the next time I go down to Disneyland. I am going to orer their cd from their website in just a bit.

Ii would say these guys are my second fav Steampunk band right now. My favorite is still Dr Steel. He is also from southern CA. It would be awesome if these two did a show together. You should check out Dr. Steel on Youtube a bit, if you haven't heard him before.
(07-19-2012 08:17 PM)LFuzer Wrote:  I'd like to share something from Brazil that resembles Steam Powered Giraffes (at least their performatic skills and the ability to use the song's words - unfortunately, non-Portuguese speakers won't understand). Maybe you'll enjoy, they're called "O Teatro Mágico" (Magic Theatre) and they bring the travelling-circus theme to their shows.

There is a band I really like called Circus Contraption that I think pulls off the traveling circus bit better IMO. Here is their opening number at one of their acts:

Youtube: Circus Contaption - Welcome to the Circus

..and for fans of the really dark, I would suggest the essential Tiger Lillies. Here is one of their tamer ones. Youtube: Tiger Lillies - Gin
07-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Awesome, Vikinglad! I am so glad I was able to spread their word to a new fan! LOL! I have been watching their videos on YouTube repeatedly as of late. The wifey already bought their albums and put them on her iPod, so we listen in the car and stuff too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely have to check out the other bands you mentioned when I get a moment.
07-24-2012, 03:22 PM
(07-21-2012 06:18 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  There is a band I really like called Circus Contraption that I think pulls off the traveling circus bit better IMO. Here is their opening number at one of their acts:

Youtube: Circus Contaption - Welcome to the Circus

..and for fans of the really dark, I would suggest the essential Tiger Lillies. Here is one of their tamer ones. Youtube: Tiger Lillies - Gin

Hey Vikinglad! Wow, those two bands are truly remarkable (specially the Tiger Lillies... I totally LMAO when that chick poured gin that way!). Teatro Mágico does not put the circus theme into the songs (musically nor in the lyrics), actually, but they use circus artists during the shows. It is light stuff and very popular here in Brazil, just wanted to share!

Anyways I LOVED those two bands you linked here, I'm fond of steampunk stuff too!