Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Storage
04-21-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 03:01 PM by labrys.)
Storage
Storage

Playing around with the idea of a storage mechanism, using counters to represent storage locations and corresponding cards to represent the storage found during hero deck search and a place to put the stored items.
Also some carrying limit extenders (or to use the technical parlance.. Bags!).

{Edit: as per Twilight_Sonata's suggestion, access to these storage containers/counters are now applied to whole building - not just same space or adjacent.}
{Edit: Print-sheet download now linked further down.}

Will have to think of some zombie cards to even out the balance.

A few storage card examples:
[Image: xlarge_card_sm.jpg][Image: large_card_sm.jpg][Image: medium_card_sm.jpg][Image: small_card_sm.jpg]

Types:
Storage Box - Size: Small (Capacity: 2) [Item count: 1]
You may carry this item, it counts as 1 item towards limit.
You may drop this item. Place this card by the side of the board and place corresponding storage counter in the same (or adjacent?) square as player.
Any Hero in the same square as this storage counter may take or place items in the storage (on this card), up to this cards item limit / capacity, during their exchange phase.
[Image: small.jpg]

Storage Box - Size: Medium (Capacity: 4) [Item count: 2]
You may carry this item. It counts as 2 items towards limit.
You may drop this item. Place this card by the side of the board and place corresponding storage counter in the same (or adjacent?) square as player.
Any Hero in the same square as this storage counter may take or place items in the storage (on this card), up to this cards item limit / capacity, during their exchange phase.
[Image: medium.jpg]

Storage Box - Size: Large (Capacity: 6) [Item count: N/A]
You must drop the item on this square. It is too big to be carried.
Place this card by the side of the board and place corresponding storage counter in the same (or adjacent?) square as player.
[Image: large.jpg]

Storage Box Size: X Large (Capacity: 8) [Item count: N/A]
You must drop the item on this square. It is to big to be carried.
Place this card by the side of the board and place corresponding storage counter in the same (or adjacent?) square as player.
Any Hero in the same square as this storage counter may take or place items in the storage (on this card), up to this cards item limit / capacity.
[Image: extralarge.jpg]

Rucksack
Does not count towards carrying limit.
Increases your carrying capacity by 2. Place extra items on this card, however you must use exchange turn to swap items between your regular inventory and this cards inventory.
[Image: smallbag.jpg]

Large Rucksack
Does not count towards carrying limit.
Increases your carrying capacity by 4. Place extra items on this card, however you must use exchange turn to swap items between your regular inventory and this cards inventory.
[Image: largebag.jpg]

Might introduce a dragging mechanism for moving the large storage items.
Eg 1 Hero can drag item D3 squares.
Eg 2 Heroes roll d6 movement. Use lowest roll. They miss exchange turn whilst carrying.

I will be coming up with some storage based scenarios too.

I bit the sheriff.. but I did not bite the deputy.

---------------------------------------------------
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2013, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 11:42 AM by Twilight_Sonata.)
RE: Storage
I think that these sound like neat ideas, but I can't say that the problem that they solve is one that occurs so frequently as to actually warrant such a "fix". In other words, I think that, nine games out of ten, such a card would end up just a waste of a good Search. Maybe they can be buffed, though. Maybe if a Storage container in a building were considered to be in every space of the building rather than just one space? Or maybe if, like Extra Doors, storage containers were not a card but rather an extra optional game feature that simply applied to every building? Something like...

Storage (two dots?):
Heroes can store Items in buildings. While so stored, place the Item's card to the side, neither with any Hero, nor in the discard pile, nor removed from the game. To store an Item in a building or to retrieve an Item stored in a building, a Hero simply treats the building as though it were another Hero during their Exchange Items phase. Items are not shared between different buildings, of course, and the number of Items that can be stored in a building is equal to half the number of spaces in that building (rounded down). If a building is destroyed, any Items that had been stored in it are removed from the game.

Alternatively...

Storage (one dot?):
Heroes can store Items in buildings. While so stored, place the Item's card to the side, neither with any Hero, nor in the discard pile, nor removed from the game. To store an Item in a building, a Hero simply treats the building as though it were another Hero during their Exchange Items phase. Any Hero Searching in a building may take an Item that has been previously stored in that building by any Hero, instead of drawing from the top of the Hero Deck. Items are not shared between different buildings, of course, and the number of Items that can be stored in a building is equal to half the number of spaces in that building (rounded down). If a building is destroyed, any Items that had been stored in it are removed from the game.
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of making it to apply to whole building instead of square, would make it a lot easier to use. I don't usually play as Heroes, so don't have much experience on that end, but you're right; it might be too hard to use on just a square.
I was going to make several of them (eg 3 small box cards) but if applying to building that would be overkill, so might just keep to one for each type.

As for the back pack that's all win for the heroes. Might only make a few though. Don't want to make a bunch of juggernauts. That's why I put the exchange phase in - to sop them all being weapon spawning monsters.
Also need to decide how the bags modify weapon limits. I think they should be ok to hold all weapons?. Or maybe limit it to half (deciding if large rucksack could really hold two double handed weapons or just the one?)
Also should other heroes in same square be able to get to that hero's rucksack during their exchange phase. Don't see this being a problem (seems fairly thematic / realistic).

Most of my previous ideas have been zombie based, so though I would do something with the heroes in mind for once!

04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Great idea. Thinking about a "Walking Dead" scenario where the trunk of the cars could be used like your storage boxes.
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I've now created the counters and the rucksack cards too.
[Image: counters.jpg]

[Image: small_bag_sm.jpg][Image: large_bag_sm.jpg]

And created a print sheet here.