Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
A few of my own rules
01-25-2011, 02:09 AM
RE: A few of my own rules
(01-16-2011 11:07 AM)Orguss Wrote:  Guns are overpowered. Instant popping has to be balanced. You say point blank shot should be an automatic hit, who's to say it isn't? Remember in zombie movies only the head counts. The sheriff unloads a round or two before popping him in the head.

I guess what I mean is that a headshot should be easier to get when standing 3X as close. It would add a cool dynamic if there was a reason to get closer to the zed before blasting him. Sure you could shoot from range 3, but range 1 is better. Maybe subtract the range from the roll, or something like that. The revolver could change to hit on 3+, but from 3 away, you need a 6+ (roll of 6 minus 3 range = 3) to hit. In your same square, you only need 3+. These numbers probably don't work perfect, I am just trying to explain what I meant. This may also add a little balance to the "overpowered" guns.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
(01-25-2011 12:59 AM)Who is CA Jones? Wrote:  Zombies don't work together as they are mindless geeks that are hungry for brains, so them being in the same space does not make them more powerful (unless there is a fight card involved). This isn't your standard player vs. player game, so the different rules makes it interesting.

They don't need to work together as a super organized team to make a fight harder for the hero. Just remember scenes from the movies 1 on 1 fight (when a hero has a hand weapon) usually ends in killing the zombie at ease. But when there are more zombies it is much harder, and sometimes our heroes don't manage to get away. And the zeds are not acting like tactical organized swat alpha team.
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
So a shot gun at range of 3 would need to roll a 6 to hit. Right? Let me see if the math is right

Range of 3 : 1 out of 6 to kill, 2 out of 6 to run out
Range of 2 : 2 out of 6 to kill, 2 out of 6 to run out
Range of 1 : 3 out of 6 to kill, 2 out of 6 to run out
Same space: 4 out of 6 to kill, 2 out of 6 to run out

It seems like at first glance it balances a bit, but I believe it nerfs them to no end. There are only so many guns in the deck, and then only a few things can save them, get them back, plus zombies have cards to make you get rid of it. I would never shoot a shot gun period at max range. Risk vs reward is too detrimental. Hell unless you are adjacent does it balance in a slight favor to you. Now, the revolver makes it... slightly better with a roll of 1 only, but even then...
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2011 06:51 PM by vikinglad.)
(01-25-2011 06:38 PM)Orguss Wrote:  So a shot gun at range of 3 would need to roll a 6 to hit. Right?...

It seems like at first glance it balances a bit, but I believe it nerfs them to no end. ...

Now, the revolver makes it... slightly better with a roll of 1 only, but even then...

Ya, you are right. These would work better for a group that feels the guns are overpowered. I think the max range on the shotgun is 2, so the max odds would be Roll 3+(+2 for range) = 5+, so a 1-in-3 chance? At max distance, for killing a zombie, this doesn't sound that bad. You can still hit multiples in the same square. I was thinking more about the revolver when I wrote it, though. You could tweak the numbers a bit to tune it to your group, maybe.
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I would allow that house rule if this scenario set up was in place.

If a hero has an empty gun, he may as as search instead roll a d6, on a roll of 4+ may 'load' the gun. (No ammo card need be in discard or pulled from)

When a gun runs out of ammo, you need not discard the gun. Just may not fire in any way.