Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno Expansion - Released!
12-17-2010, 06:36 AM
RE: My (Not so) Mini Expansion - 1 Board Done!
(12-17-2010 05:19 AM)D153453D Wrote:  Thanks guys.

This week has been real busy and started pretty late with this board. It most likely won't get finished over the weekend but sometime next week. This is the sawmill and it still needs a lot of work, but I'm debating on whether or not extra movement should occur going up the conveyor belt should happen. I'm also debating whether or not to include the "woodchipper" as a special square where you could toss a zombie into it or not.

I already have some ideas about rules for it but let me know what you think.

I think your ideas seem solid. I like the woodchipper idea...kinda reminds me of the stages on Mortal Kombat where you can use the environment to inflict damage or kill your opponent. I would probably make it something along the lines of "kill any zombie beaten in a fight, even if no doubles were rolled" while in the square with the woodchipper. That wouldn't be too overpowered I believe. Anything automatic (and I'm not saying that is necessarily what you were suggesting) would be too powerful. Of course, essentially what will happen is that zombies will just stay away from that space. Heroes can obviously draw them in with hunger, but how beneficial will that ultimately be? Still, great ideas, awesome effort. The movement on conveyor belt idea I'm pretty indifferent about. I guess I'd have to see exactly what you are proposing with that.

If my planet were a superball, I'd be its' mighty King.
But ruling over rubber probably doesn't mean a thing.
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
The idea are in my opinion very nice but i think that a definite answer can be given only by the play test. A lot of things are realized only when you are really around the table. In my opinion you should just keep on doing the great job with the board but without too many extra "compulsory" rules.So if there is a belt could be potentially used otherwise is just part of the scenario....
just a thought about it... couldn't it be used too much in advantage of the heros using the zombie hunger?
other tuoght: are u thinking about things that the zombie could use in the scenario? adding boards that "help" the heroes could embalance the game and it would be nice to use your board without mussing up any further with the DOTS system.

anyway GOOD JOB!; but did u upload already the first board somewhere?
12-17-2010, 10:44 AM
(12-17-2010 08:23 AM)dungeonlord Wrote:  anyway GOOD JOB!; but did u upload already the first board somewhere?

second that!! BTW sounds interesting that sawmillproject.
12-19-2010, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2010 09:52 AM by D153453D.)
(12-17-2010 06:36 AM)Worldmaggot Wrote:  I think your ideas seem solid. I like the woodchipper idea...kinda reminds me of the stages on Mortal Kombat where you can use the environment to inflict damage or kill your opponent. I would probably make it something along the lines of "kill any zombie beaten in a fight, even if no doubles were rolled" while in the square with the woodchipper. That wouldn't be too overpowered I believe. Anything automatic (and I'm not saying that is necessarily what you were suggesting) would be too powerful. Of course, essentially what will happen is that zombies will just stay away from that space. Heroes can obviously draw them in with hunger, but how beneficial will that ultimately be? Still, great ideas, awesome effort. The movement on conveyor belt idea I'm pretty indifferent about. I guess I'd have to see exactly what you are proposing with that.

I was thinking something along those lines. Now that I've had time to dwell on it I have a pretty good idea for both. I don't want to make it overpowered, but I do want these board to have a litter personality even if it dosen't come into play every game.

(12-17-2010 08:23 AM)dungeonlord Wrote:  The idea are in my opinion very nice but i think that a definite answer can be given only by the play test. A lot of things are realized only when you are really around the table. In my opinion you should just keep on doing the great job with the board but without too many extra "compulsory" rules.So if there is a belt could be potentially used otherwise is just part of the scenario....

I agree. After a few quick play tests i believe I have come up with a balance. I guess ultimately I'm going to release boards and all to the public and make a final revision if they deem changes. I can only play test so much so I'll need some help anyway.

(12-17-2010 10:44 AM)Onemangang Wrote:  
(12-17-2010 08:23 AM)dungeonlord Wrote:  anyway GOOD JOB!; but did u upload already the first board somewhere?

second that!! BTW sounds interesting that sawmillproject.

Sorry guys, I'm going to make them available when all 4 are complete because I'm going to have to color correct them all together and then print them out and test them against the real game boards. I'm trying to avoid discoloration like there was with Growing Hunger (I think).

I also don't want to make it available for download right now because I haven't made a rule booklet to go along with it yet. I have ruling for the red walls indicate a second story, and this affects hero and zombie movement. I also have ruling for certain cards that this would affect as well.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
This looks really cool. Can't wait till it's done and we can take a good look at it.

I do have a suggestion though: have you considered making a second floor Tile? i.e. making the ground floor the main L-board, than instead of making walls red, make a separate smaller tile of just the 2nd floor that can be either laid on top of the first, or set just to the side of it for the 2nd floor. (Or if you are me, raised up on pillars and set over the board so it really *is* a 2nd story...)

Personally, I think it will add more room to your board, and allow for people to play literally on multiple levels. and add (pardon the pun, but it is intentional, LOL) a new dimension to the game.

Additionally it will eliminate any confusion as to who on the 1st and 2nd floors... unless you were considering, that for game play purpose, there was "no more" 1st floor beyond what was shown... and that I personally don't like. If I can get to the 2nd floor I should be able to get to all of the 1st too...

Just a suggestion... feel free to ignore it. Watchmen02
12-20-2010, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2010 07:39 AM by D153453D.)
(12-19-2010 11:30 AM)Gothicincarnation Wrote:  This looks really cool. Can't wait till it's done and we can take a good look at it.

I do have a suggestion though: have you considered making a second floor Tile? i.e. making the ground floor the main L-board, than instead of making walls red, make a separate smaller tile of just the 2nd floor that can be either laid on top of the first, or set just to the side of it for the 2nd floor. (Or if you are me, raised up on pillars and set over the board so it really *is* a 2nd story...)

Personally, I think it will add more room to your board, and allow for people to play literally on multiple levels. and add (pardon the pun, but it is intentional, LOL) a new dimension to the game.

Additionally it will eliminate any confusion as to who on the 1st and 2nd floors... unless you were considering, that for game play purpose, there was "no more" 1st floor beyond what was shown... and that I personally don't like. If I can get to the 2nd floor I should be able to get to all of the 1st too...

Just a suggestion... feel free to ignore it. Watchmen02

Rendering multiple floors will add a lot to an already large workload. That first board alone took me 20-25 hours to make, and I have a full time job as well.

As far as stacking them I think that would get in the way and probably knocked over a lot. I'm sure it would require supports in the middle of the board and make them ever harder to manuver. I also assumed that most people would print them out on 11x17 paper so it would be very floppy anyway.

I did initially think about rendering a second story and placing it along the side of the board as you suggested, but decided against it as it would be more confusing with using guns and zombie hunger constantly looking back and forth to see where your hero would be if he were on main board. (If that makes any sense) Also, some scenarios require the use 6 or 8 boards which would only make that worse.

The way it is set up isn't really confusing. The red walls make a complete box. If you're in it then you're on the 2nd floor, and if you're not then you're on the 1st. They should rendered well enough to figure it out by a glance by looking at the doorways and whether or not they have stairs.

The idea is that the people on the first floor have barracded all their rooms up, thus not allowing entry. I don't see how that's a stretch considering heros can't move through regular walls to begin with. The way I see it is that it gives move strategic options without changing the setup of the board.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
12-20-2010, 07:53 AM
D153453D Thank you for putting all that tme in it. 20-25 hours for one L-tile is a lot of free-time. But . as you, probably know, the result as I see it is paying back big time. You are doing great! (now stop reading and go back to work on the following one J/K) Zombie03
12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
(12-20-2010 07:28 AM)D153453D Wrote:  Rendering multiple floors will add a lot to an already large workload. That first board alone took me 20-25 hours to make, and I have a full time job as well.

As far as stacking them I think that would get in the way and probably knocked over a lot. I'm sure it would require supports in the middle of the board and make them ever harder to manuver. I also assumed that most people would print them out on 11x17 paper so it would be very floppy anyway.

I did initially think about rendering a second story and placing it along the side of the board as you suggested, but decided against it as it would be more confusing with using guns and zombie hunger constantly looking back and forth to see where your hero would be if he were on main board. (If that makes any sense) Also, some scenarios require the use 6 or 8 boards which would only make that worse.

The way it is set up isn't really confusing. The red walls make a complete box. If you're in it then you're on the 2nd floor, and if you're not then you're on the 1st. They should rendered well enough to figure it out by a glance by looking at the doorways and whether or not they have stairs.

The idea is that the people on the first floor have barracded all their rooms up, thus not allowing entry. I don't see how that's a stretch considering heros can't move through regular walls to begin with. The way I see it is that it gives move strategic options without changing the setup of the board.

Oh I totally understand that. Was just a thought, I am just a little anal about completeness and everything making sense... and to me a second story needs a second tile so you can have access to the whole first floor. But that's just me, so as I said feel free to ignore me. LOL Wasn't trying to tell you what to do or anything. You are doing a great job from what I've seen so far, keep up the wonderful work.
12-21-2010, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2010 06:55 AM by D153453D.)
RE: My (Not so) Mini Expansion - 2 Boards Done!
No, I understand. I wasn't taking anything the wrong way. I'd just like to clarify my rationale because I'm sure there are others who are wondering why I'm doing it they way I am.

SAWMILL COMPLETE---------------------------------------

That's 2 down and 2 more to go! ( and some new tokens too ). I probably won't start anything for another week due to the holidays. Cheers.

Oh, and sorry about it being upside down, but I realized that I'm rendering them backwards compared to the original FFP boards.

12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
RE: RE: My (Not so) Mini Expansion - 2 Boards Done!
I noticed the rubble, and had just thought the first floor was inaccessible due to colapse. I suppose either reason works. As for wanting a seperate side board for the second floor, I agree it would be complicated, and not something I'd personally want. However, once your boards are released, it would be fairly easy for someone to print a second copy and make that a reality for their games. Kinda funny...we are already making variants to your homebrew expansion.

If my planet were a superball, I'd be its' mighty King.
But ruling over rubber probably doesn't mean a thing.
Thread Closed