Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno crafting
02-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Stories of the Undead Inferno crafting
I thought I would share what I have done with this, in case it helps someone else. First of all, thanks to D153453D for the fine work involved. You are a great digital artist. I'd suggest an editor for the written work however. =P

I've read several threads talking about how to best accomplish bringing this from digital files into a playable state, and I am really happy with my solution. After reading some threads on BGG about print and play games, I decided to first have my files printed off at a local copy shop. Nothing fancy, just print them on nice paper at the correct size. Cost: $1 per sheet, so $7.

I then went to Home Depot and got some self adhesive flooring tiles. I took a scenario card with me to find the proper thickness and found one that was spot on. It was a sorta generic rock pattern, which I also liked. At $1.20 a tile, I bought 8 which cost me just under $10. I then went home and mounted all the sheets onto the adhesive tiles. It was somewhat of a pain to cut them out, probably a few hours of work with a straightedge and heavy duty box cutter. I then clearcoated the playing surfaces to protect them, spray painted the bottoms black, and clearcoated that as well, mostly for aesthetics. I am really happy with the way these turned out. Aside from the weight, they look amazing, and while in play are almost distinguishable from the original.

Now, I still have not gotten the circular tiles finished. I did make an error with them that I should have cut the fire tokens out before mounting them to allow more room to cut the tile. Because I want to use a 1 3/4" hole drill bit to do this, but there is not room now. I will likely get that sheet reprinted and try that again. Also, take special care when cutting the inner bend of the L tiles, I did get some slight ripping that is only barely noticeable.

Hope this helps someone. I was just thinking while finishing this that I will have to get some pics and post them.

If my planet were a superball, I'd be its' mighty King.
But ruling over rubber probably doesn't mean a thing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2011, 04:17 AM
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno crafting
I'll be the first to admit, I'm no good at writing, lol.

I still haven't done anything special with the tokens. I printed them on some thickish paper and they work well enough for me. I would be interested in the boards though. I'm glad to hear they came out well.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
02-21-2011, 01:14 AM
(02-19-2011 03:52 AM)Worldmaggot Wrote:  I then went to Home Depot and got some self adhesive flooring tiles. I took a scenario card with me to find the proper thickness and found one that was spot on. It was a sorta generic rock pattern, which I also liked. At $1.20 a tile, I bought 8 which cost me just under $10. I then went home and mounted all the sheets onto the adhesive tiles. It was somewhat of a pain to cut them out, probably a few hours of work with a straightedge and heavy duty box cutter. I then clearcoated the playing surfaces to protect them, spray painted the bottoms black, and clearcoated that as well, mostly for aesthetics. I am really happy with the way these turned out. Aside from the weight, they look amazing, and while in play are almost distinguishable from the original.

Now, I still have not gotten the circular tiles finished. I did make an error with them that I should have cut the fire tokens out before mounting them to allow more room to cut the tile. Because I want to use a 1 3/4" hole drill bit to do this, but there is not room now. I will likely get that sheet reprinted and try that again. Also, take special care when cutting the inner bend of the L tiles, I did get some slight ripping that is only barely noticeable.

Hope this helps someone. I was just thinking while finishing this that I will have to get some pics and post them.

Thanks for sharing this. Great idea with the self adhesive floor tiles. I'm gonna have to go to the Depot and check that out.

I was planning to do the same thing with a 1 3/4" hole drill bit for the Fire Markers but I was going to go crazy-obsessive-compulsive, (like I always do) and use thin 1/4" pieces of oak... also purchased at the Depot. I thought that glued on with four coats of polyurethane... they'd be awesome.

Just say NO to 'house rules'.
04-04-2011, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 06:35 AM by dalembraun.)
Here are pictures of SotUI being played at Gamestorm 13, March 26th in Vancouver WA...

(04-04-2011 06:30 AM)dalembraun Wrote:  Here are pictures of SotUI being played at Gamestorm 13, March 26th in Vancouver WA...
and one more

04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting these pictures. The board sections and counters all look high quality. I'm sure the game was a blast too!
07-04-2012, 05:44 AM
I then went to Home Depot and got some self adhesive flooring tiles. I took a scenario card with me to find the proper thickness and found one that was spot on. It was a sorta generic rock pattern, which I also liked.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then clearcoated the playing surfaces to protect them, spray painted the bottoms black, and clearcoated that as well, mostly for aesthetics. I am really happy with the way these turned out.

hey i was wondering if i could see a picture of what the tile looked like? also the thickness and what was the clear coating that you used? because im exited to try this game but i want it to look nice