Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suggestions for First Play with Gaming Group
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Suggestions for First Play with Gaming Group
As Halloween approaches here in the US, it is the perfect time to introduce the gaming group to Atoe. I want the first play with the group to be a really good experience that will make them want to keep playing. To that end I'm looking for suggestions on how to structure the game.

Competition or Coop?
Which villain should we play?
How many players? Our group has 8-12 players on a game night. While it is technically possible to have everyone play (using the scaling rules) it would probably drag the game out too long.
Anything else?

Its a trick, get an axe...

Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
RE: Suggestions for First Play with Gaming Group
Do not do coop play. Also, do not do "basic" game -- it's far too boring. Always do the advanced game. For the villain, I'd suggest the Spectral Horseman. Its ride-to-town ability is exciting. Avoid the Scarecrow is a bit dull -- he's just brute strength.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
See, I love co-op play, and don't do the other style. And my favorite villain is the Unspeakable Horror. It scales really well, and is quite tough. The Nutcracker free download is another surprisingly tough one for the upcoming Christmas season.

I generally find that, if they're not used to the game, top out the number of players at 5.
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I perfer Co-Op and the vampire is my fun for first time players. Bats always tend to leave the light items carry off the heavy like a horse. How do they do that? they grip it by the husk
11-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I bought this game in my local gaming store, and they offered to play it with me there and then, which was a lot of fun.

We played a competitive basic game against the Horseman, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As Mqstout said above, it's great to have the horseman ride to town.

I'd avoid the co-op game first time through with the group. Mainly I've found in co-op games I've played we dawdle about powering up for far too long before taking on the villain- the game can go a bit flat in the final few turns as those who are ready wait around for someone who just needs that one more item from the manor (and get's themselves KO'd twice trying to get it). The competitive game will push everyone to be a bit quicker to the showdown.