Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Survive!
02-27-2011, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2011 07:20 PM by Russ.)
Survive!
(02-26-2011 09:40 PM)Russ Wrote:  Yeah, same here! I don't usually want to get involved in full on tabletop RPG-ing. I'd rather play games that sort of skirt the border between RPG and board game, like LNoE or HeroQuest! By the way, I recently stumbled across the board game: "Survive!" at a thrift sore and recommend that one as well!

(02-27-2011 04:49 PM)Worldmaggot Wrote:  I would have hated you a year ago! haha My best friend and I grew up playing "Survive!". At 12 years old, I moved to another state, and gave him my copy as a present. We are still friends to this day, but sadly the game is long gone. It actually has quite the cult following, and was going for insane prices on ebay ($60-$100). I finally happened upon a copy in a Half Price Books store while driving through Cedar Rapids IA. I spotted it high on a shelf and nervously pulled it down. I was even more excited upon seeing the $2.98 price sticker, and then of course, I began doubting that it was a complete copy, or was damaged somehow. It was not. In fact, the previous owner had even separated the pieces in little baggies. The only flaw was a split corner, and a small stain on the back of the board. It was one of my greatest finds ever, especially since I also found an almost complete set of Moebius graphic novels, including the Incal, and most of his numbered ones for about $6 a piece. Anyhow, the game has just been remade by Stronghold games, so it shouldn't be as hard to get now. I am kinda debating buying this newer version as well.

http://www.thoughthammer.com/survive-esc...-7939.html

For those not familiar with this game, it's pretty fun. It's not as involved as LNoE, so I can even manage to rope some of my non-zombie gaming friends into it. Each player has a handful of little plastic people, and you need to get them off the island to safety. The island is modular, and as the island is sinking into the ocean, you remove pieces from the outside, sometimes sending your opponent's people into the water. In the water there are sharks, which attack people, whales, which tip over boats, and sea monsters, which attack both. I won't go into more detail than that, (thank goodness, right?) but trust me, it's pretty fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
RE: Survive!
Looks pretty fun, how long does a typical game usually last? The pieces are adorable, and I can get behind anything that has a Giant Squid Expansion.
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
RE: Survive!
Hmmm...it's been a while since I played, but I think the games lasted less than an hour. Actually, might be time to break this one out again...!