Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TOE and dark gothic
04-18-2018, 05:53 AM
TOE and dark gothic
Love the setting for A touch of evil and thinking about getting Dark Gothic. My question since you guys know the game so well is this... How good of job does Dark Gothic when it comes to immersing you in the setting in comparison. I mean setting TOE is such a task setting up but man does it get immersive. Does Dark Gothic come even close or does it feel like a deck builder with an extra layer of theme?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2018, 04:09 PM
RE: TOE and dark gothic
I like Dark Gothic, a lot. But my table generally sees DBGs a lot. It can be played a heck of a lot more quickly.

The theming isn't as strong as ATOE. But it's still there. Much of the art is ATOE-recycled. You know how some games are turned into "lite" versions as dice or card games? Think of DG as that for ATOE.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
What is DBGs?
04-19-2018, 07:00 PM
(04-18-2018 06:34 PM)August700212 Wrote:  What is DBGs?

[Card] Deck Building Games
04-19-2018, 09:24 PM
How would you rank Dark Gothic to other DBGs? I have played a few and found them unsatisfactory. Do you consider Dark Gothic comparable to other DBGs or is it much better (keeping in mind that I am a big fan of FFP style of games)?
04-19-2018, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 11:26 PM by mqstout.)
Strictly mechanically, I'd rank it (of those I've played):

Below: Dominion, Machi Koro, Trains, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

About on par: Clank, Thunderstone, Valley of the Kings, Blood Bowl Team Manager

Above (ie, these are worse than ATOE : DG): Ascension, Nightfall, Eminent Domain, Core Worlds, Legendary, Resident Evil, Star Trek, Dragonfire, Arcana, Quarriors

Potentially others, but Board Game Geek's "Deckbuilding" category is now much less useful than it used to be since it's filled with games that aren't.

But these are my opinions: my circle tends to like them.
04-20-2018, 02:05 AM
As to production, it's quite equal to ATOE, using the same photographic and layout style. The two oddities are that all heroes used in DG are ATOE heroes except Charlotte Dubois and the Gillian's are represented by impressive sketches not photos.

As to gameplay vibe, one does get the feeling of building up your heroes resources guided by thier initial strengths. Added to that you are mindful of the Villians abilities that need to be overcome. So, Brother Marcus will have a tougher time beating the Werewolf then Karl. Yet there are other hidden Villians to keep people guessing and switch things up.

Having played a few times, it was with new players each time.

What I've learned was the vibe is there and fairly strong if you can get past the initial learning (which is easy). You will stop thinking 'two blue, two red to purchase the wolf' and eventually think 'Karl uses his cunning to hunt and corner the wolf and was skilled enough to bring it down'. Then the story will come forth.

I strongly recommend Colonial Horror and the online packs as they have a few new concepts to greatly improve play.

04-20-2018, 03:23 AM
Another note is that Dark Gothic plays really well with 2. (There are a couple cards that don't quite scale well down to 2, but it's only a couple of them.)
04-21-2018, 04:06 AM
(04-20-2018 02:05 AM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  As to production, it's quite equal to ATOE, using the same photographic and layout style. The two oddities are that all heroes used in DG are ATOE heroes except Charlotte Dubois and the Gillian's are represented by impressive sketches not photos.

As to gameplay vibe, one does get the feeling of building up your heroes resources guided by thier initial strengths. Added to that you are mindful of the Villians abilities that need to be overcome. So, Brother Marcus will have a tougher time beating the Werewolf then Karl. Yet there are other hidden Villians to keep people guessing and switch things up.

Having played a few times, it was with new players each time.

What I've learned was the vibe is there and fairly strong if you can get past the initial learning (which is easy). You will stop thinking 'two blue, two red to purchase the wolf' and eventually think 'Karl uses his cunning to hunt and corner the wolf and was skilled enough to bring it down'. Then the story will come forth.

I strongly recommend Colonial Horror and the online packs as they have a few new concepts to greatly improve play.

From what I understand, colonial horror can be played alone as well as used for stand alone. Which would you say I should get first?
04-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Colonial Horror is slightly better than "plain". They both are good and mix well.