Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The start of some custom Zombie Heroes
06-26-2014, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 06:15 PM by sgiove.)
The start of some custom Zombie Heroes
I bought extra sets of the base game, Growing Hunger, and Hero Pack 1 miniatures (ok, I bought a second set of Hero Pack 1 just for the miniatures) and made some custom figures with them to represent their zombie hero alter egos.

All I really did was cut off their original arms or hands (most which were gripping weapons or other items) and replaced them with hands that I cut off of misc. zombie miniatures. The only other change I made to the models was swapping the head of Sheriff Anderson because I happened to have a zombie head with the same exact hat. Also, for those wondering, Nurse Becky is holding a dismembered hand and Jake is holding a dismembered foot.

Right now I've only completed the miniatures from the base game. They have only been spray primed gray so far. I'll update this thread once I get them painted. I realize that they look very much like the original models but once I paint and grime them up a bit I'm sure I'll get them to look even more zombie-like.

Thanks for looking!

[Image: 10349022_10203212841275273_3548492944595237117_n.jpg]

[Image: 10502338_10203212841315274_612419094715579248_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: The start of some custom Zombie Heroes
I'm loving this so far. It's inspiring work. I can't wait to see these painted up, great job!
06-27-2014, 04:12 AM
They're coming for you Barbara!
06-27-2014, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2014 12:15 PM by UK_zombie.)
These look great.

I considered this tact, purchasing the heroes from FFP store and zombifying them but I am not too happy with the quality of the materials used for there minis, its too flexible. I would not have been happy if one snapped/got cut in half (could make a crawler I suppose...) so I opted for using zombie mini proxies, painting them as close to the heroes as I could get and then adding weapons where available.

Pictures to come.

PS sgiove I found some great weapon sprues on ebay, pistols, chainsaws, baseball bats etc that I have added to my zombie heroes, albeit being dragged or just held limp.
06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
(06-27-2014 12:12 PM)UK_zombie Wrote:  PS sgiove I found some great weapon sprues on ebay, pistols, chainsaws, baseball bats etc that I have added to my zombie heroes, albeit being dragged or just held limp.

There is a great weapon sprue that comes with the WarGames Factory male heroes that I own. I'm thinking this might be what you purchased?

I guess I just figured that by the time a hero lost a fight, died, and then reanimated, they probably would have dropped their weapons, etc. Granted, I guess they could pick them back up (i.e. Grave Weapon Zombies) but I opted to leave them out, especially so as to not confuse players and have them mistaken them for a Grave Weapon zombie. There were a few items (the Father's bible or Jade's skateboard <not shown>) that I simply couldn't remove without major damage to the figure so I just left them holding it - although I did create some damage to Jade's skateboard just to rough it up.

Also, since I still plan to continue work on my 3D board, I plan to use many items on my weapons sprue as part of the board (like placing some shotguns in a gun locker in the police station, a baseball bat laying on the floor in the gym, a meat cleaver in the diner, a pitchfork in the barn, a complete weapon display case in the gun shop, etc.) to help highlight the Pick Up abilities of certain buildings but that's something I'll work on down the road.

Would love to see what you did with your zombie heroes!
06-27-2014, 05:32 PM
I love the PICK UP reminders in the buildingsWatchmen02
06-29-2014, 09:22 AM
sgiove

You are right one of them is from WGF, I also bought some metal weapons from various Miniature sites. I love the idea of weapons in the 3D buildings. Looking forward to seeing the results.

May I ask where did you get the zombie sheriff head? I have a zombie for him, but minus the hat, would be great to get a proper looking head on him.
06-29-2014, 05:34 PM
The head is also from the WGF male heroes. It is on the main sprue with the body options.
06-30-2014, 01:40 PM
sgiove

I have been putting off buying those miniature sets, picking up random sprues here and there. Now looks like I am going to splash out and buy a box!
06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
I think the WGF male heroes boxed set is very versatile. Even though I used that civilian head for the zombified Sheriff Anderson, it looked great because of the open mouth.

I've actually converted quite a few of the male and female heroes from WGF into zombies with very little work. Most time I just build them as normal (without weapons as each set usually gives you extra arms so that you can have weapon or weaponless heroes) and then paint them more "zombie-like". On a few occasions I just borrow a random weaponless arm from another model for an easy conversion.

So, I think the male and female hero sets can easily do double duty to create your own unique heroes and zombies. The other thing I like is that the hero boxed sets contain three sprues of identical pieces, meaning you can do some mixing and matching but you can also easily make a hero and then build a second copy to make a zombified version of that hero.

Good luck!