Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Call of the Siren.
11-01-2014, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 03:08 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
The Call of the Siren.
Well. we played the Siren last weekend. Wow, what a tough Villain. We had some debate though on whether we played her Siren's Call ability correctly.

Some argued that it's a Global effect, some believed it pertans only to fights against the Villain.

I was on the side of it being a Global effect, which made fighting her Harpies VERY tough because you're always hitting yourself and they have a 50% chance of hitting you and of blocking your hits. Yikes!

My reasoning; the rulebook offers no clarification so absent the limiting text that would say "against the Villain" or "during a Showdown" I take the ability as being a global effect.

We got our butt's kicked by the Villain and our hats handed back to us - which may others feel certain we played it wrong. sigh...

I was wondering what other players' experiences have been? How do you play the Siren's Call?

[Image: ?dl=1]

[Image: ?dl=1]

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 02:59 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
RE: The Call of the Siren.
I look at it a rule discussion in three ways:

Spirit of the law: I would say this pertains only to a fight involving the siren as harpies do not have such abilities themselves. This means that during battle the hero must have a clear focus and will or they could be distracted and drop their gaurd when the siren sings. The flavor text within the rule book mentions "within earshot". Plus what does the siren care if you are fighting some ghost or writhing tentacles in a windmill. Is she really singing when you might be going toe to toe with the Crimson Hand? Wouldn't they be affected???

Letter of the law: though it does not limit the power to the siren, a check on other Villians has it that their powers say they are limited thus. The words "against the Villian" are not there on the siren. However the whole sentence is odd. "every hero fight dice roll of 1"? It should be "fight die" not "dice" because a plurality of dice can't roll 1. Could it mean each Fight Dice Roll that has a 1 within it (meaning not each die seperatly?). 'Letter of the law' often is annoying

Play balance: yes. The fact that you will take a wound or pay IP 16% of each die rolled is tough when applied to every fight roll die in the game. Taken as just against the Siren, it is a vicious power and you best have a stock of IP prepared, but to have to deal with that no matter who is fought is unbalancing.

My opinion? I'd go with bad wording on the card. Balance and spirit outnumber the text that is oddly written. I will play it as "versus the Villian". I could be wrong.

11-04-2014, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 12:06 AM by ATOEtalGeek.)
Thanks for the affirming note. I agree now, with experience under my belt, that play balance will trump technicality regarding the Siren. She is almost impossible otherwise.

I read, and re-read her background in the rulebook hoping to justify something either way. I did not pick up on the "within ear shot" phrase. I like that and it will serve well enough to say her Call of the Siren only applies to battles against her.

11-05-2014, 07:07 PM
(11-04-2014 10:33 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Thanks for the affirming note. I agree now, with experience under my belt, that play balance will trump technicality regarding the Siren. She is almost impossible otherwise.

I read, and re-read her background in the rulebook hoping to justify something either way. I did not pick up on the "within ear shot" phrase. I like that and it will serve well enough to say her Call of the Siren only applies to battles against her.

Thank you...and I still grin each time I read "shhh... I thought I heard a feet step." A dubbed Richard Kiel was it?

11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
You got it. Watchmen02 Gilligan's Ghost A Go Go episode. Classic!