Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Cleansing of Tomb #1037
01-09-2022, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2022 02:40 PM by Old Dwarf.)
The Cleansing of Tomb #1037
This is my playthrough of GW Age of Sigmar Crypt Hunters

Command HQ Gymmsforge

At ease Gentlemen, I'm Lord-Castellant Conwell & I will fill you in on your Mission.
As you are aware the city is besieged by Nagash's Army of the Dead but the real danger to
our forces in the Catacombs below the city. Gymmsforge is known as the city of 10.000
Tombs & they are all full of Chainrasps who daily seek to break out into the city.
If they do our forces will be overwhelmed & the city will fall.

This is why we request from Sigmar a squad of Castigators to cleanse the Tombs, questions?
Yes Castigator-Prime Suresight?

Sir, If I may speak frankly there are thousands of tombs even clearing one could take weeks,
how will my squad make any difference? Not to mention overcoming the number of Chainrasps
from those thousands upon thousands of tombs.

Good question Castigator-Prime, first of all these tomb complexes are not connected. We have recovered from
the city's archives a map showing the tomb complexes. Thus, you'll only be clearing out Chainrasps from
one complex at a time. Frankly any relief you men can provide will be helpful, currently we have to
detail men to man the wards at the tomb's entrances. The wards & men are desperately needed to defend the city walls.
Every tomb you can cleanse will free up valuable resources to defend the city.

In addition, you won't have to kill every Chainrasp in the Tomb, you just need to find the Hyshian Illuminator.
Each tomb contains this alter dedicated to Morr the Old World's God of Death that projected an aura of peace
to keep the dead at rest. Nagash's Necroquake has disrupted the Altars allowing the Dead to rise with Nagash's
Resurrection Spell. Your Missiom is to locate the Hyshian Illuminator in each tomb complex & reactivate it to
eliminate the Chainwraiths in that tomb. Any further questions? Yes, Castigator Astrid?

Well Sir from the looks of your maps these tombs appear to be labyrinths,do they show the location of these
Hyshian Illuminators?

No Astrid they don't these alters are sealed off from the rest of the complex by sealed iron doors but
once you locate the doors & wench them open, you'll be on the right path to the Hyshian Illuminator. Our maps
are only accurate as to the tomb complexes entrances there is some ancient magic or mechanism that shifts
the crypts around so you'll need to stay aware of your locations at all times otherwise you'll risk being
hopelessly lost.

We have selected Tomb Complex 1037 it's a small complex close to the outer wall so it's important to cleanse
before a breakout could occur. Get some rest & report at the 5th Cycle tomorrow. Dismissed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wyndscal, Starsday,5th Cycle,1st Segment:

The Stormcast Castigators have entered Tomb Comple # 1037. Castigator-Prime Orris observes that the catacombs quickly
twist off out of sight. He orders Astrid to scout Right with the Gryph Hound Valient & Eryk to scout Left warning them to stay
in sight to avoid getting separated & lost.Orris remains at the Entrance to provide support.

Their intrusion is quickly noted & 5 Chainrasps & Death Warden quickly appear & launch attacks.Orris is attacked by the Death
Warden & 2 Chainrasps & suffers a wound. Their attack causes another Chainrasp to rise & attack which Orris deflects. A
Chainrasp attacks Eryk & wounds him another Chainrasp attacks Valient causing the Gryph Hounds spirit to flee its body
& return to Azyr .Astrid is also attacked but beats off the Chainrasp.

5th Cycle,2nd Segment:

Eryk moves to support Orris & they both attack the Death Warden & the Chainrasp with him taking both of the creatures out.
Astrid attacks the Chainrasp opposing him, but it avoids any damage. The Death Warden returns & leads 4 other Chainrasp in an
attack on the wounded Castigators both Orris & Eryk go down & their spirits return to Azyr. Astrid manages to fight off his attacker
but he is now alone as the Chainrasp move into the Entrance cutting off any escape for the surrounded Castigator.

5th Cycle, 3rd.Segment :

Astrid attacks the Chainrasp blocking the Tomb's Entrance Taking out the Death Warden & the other Chainrasp. It's not enough to
save himself as 2 more Chainrasps appear & he goes down assaulted by 5 Chainrasps his spirit joining his comrades on the journey
to the Reforging Chambers of Azyr.

The Chainrasps gather around the Tomb entrance but find the Wards too strong to overcome & return to the tormented darkness of
Tomb 1037.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well that was quick & brutal, the Intro Fluff is longer than the Game Session. The initial Tile Set Up really set up the Castigators
for a hard time-10 Tiles all but 2 were adjacent to the Entrance Tile & allowed for the placement of 6 Chainrasps.
Add to that the dice were in love with Skulls & the high road back to Reforging at Azyr got very crowded.

I do like the Game (this was my first playing) it's simple, quick & has great components, I wasn't sure about the snap together
aspect of the figs. but it works. I did need to clip off the pegs on 2 Chainrasps & use glue as the pegs would not close completely
in spite of the amount of pressure I put on them.

This is the first GW Game I've picked up in over 20 years as the price was reasonable & didn't require me to dig in the money pit
of Expansions. Although, I noticed GW has several of these smaller type Games for under $50 so I'm tempted to pick up that shovel.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2022, 03:51 AM
RE: The Cleansing of Tomb #1037
Wow OD just read that whilst imbibing a fine English ale. I had no idea you were knowledgeable about AoS. My armies are Stormcast and (of course) Death. I couldn't decide so I went for ALL Death armies. It was a great read. I haven't played this minigame but it sounds great. Time to pick up that shovel...
01-10-2022, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022 01:59 PM by Old Dwarf.)
RE: The Cleansing of Tomb #1037
Actually, I never got into AoS but I like to have a background for Games I play so I checked out AoS back stories.The Rulebook
of Crypt hunters has a good backstory so I just riffed of that with some additional info from GW.

The Rules of Crypt Hunter are really streamlined & if you have other Death figs.(the Game takes 10) that are medley types you could
easily substitute them for the Chainrasps. The Castigators (the Game takes 4) have Attack/Move/Wound Stats & the same scale
as other AoS Army figs.(as are the Chainrasps). & have Crossbows for weapons.

The Game has a cool Mechanics in that you Add Tiles In one phase & delete Tiles in another based on what the Stormcast have
LoS to.It's a 2-person Game but easily converts to solo.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: