Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Enemy
08-20-2011, 05:52 AM
The Enemy
I just wanted to say a few good things about a book I just finished... "The Enemy", by Charlie Higson. It takes place about a year and a half after mankind has been ravaged by a disease that causes those over the age of 16 to become insane cannibals. The protagonists are the members of two gangs of surviving kids who band together to seek refuge in London after they find out there may be other survivors in a sanctuary.

It reads like a cross between "Lord of the Flies" and "28 Days Later", and is quite thrilling. Much like "The Forest of Hands and Teeth", this book is aimed at young adults, though definitely toward the upper end of the age spectrum. It is quite brutal at times, and many kids do not make it to the end of the book, so I don't recommend it to those sensitive to such things. But if you can get past it, the book is very compelling and offers a great take on the zombie mythos.

Higson also wrote "The Dead", which takes place about a year prior to "The Enemy". Though it is a prequel novel and can easily be read independently as it involves an entirely different cast of characters, I recommend reading them in the order they were published. I found the first book much more frightening without any clue as to what was going on. I haven't finished "The Dead" however, so I can't say for sure if I'm going to like the ending, but it's certainly made a strong run through the first half of the book so I'm quite optimistic about liking it as well.

If you have the time to read either or both of these books, I predict you will not be disappointed.

"Do you like psychology? I don't. I used to think the human brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized... look what's telling me this."
--- Emo Phillips
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2011, 02:16 PM
RE: The Enemy
thanks for the recommendation, i'm always looking for good zombie books.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply