Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
The History of Woodinvale
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
RE: The History of Woodinvale
Wow. very cool, thanks for getting this all in one spot, I can see it helping when designing my own scenario - nothing better to help add to the story then when your story matches up with the actual game text!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
still working on that 'time needed' thing. But i see possibilities aplenty.

02-14-2011, 03:08 AM
A quick one: I copy this from one of my other posts that started about comparing ATOE and LNOE minis:

When all together like this, you see the patterns, both obvious and subtle.

The Two Cartwright Drifters (of course)
Detective Winters and Adrianna (both 'gifted' with perception)
Father Joseph and Brother Marcus, both bearing a torch and a holy object
Inspector Cook and Sherrif Anderson, both bearing a higher tech light source and firearm
Lucy Hanbrook and Sally both are Young and Lucky, but have widly different parents (or DO they???)
Anne Marie and Stacy carry books and a quest for knowledge
Could our fugitves, Victor and the Scarlet Shadow, be similar? Victor was convicted, but was he innocent?

Could Shadowbrook have been renamed Woodinvale after some terrible event?

Or is it all just so similar because these are classic archetypes? Welll......there is the family Cartwright to consider....

02-14-2011, 02:47 PM
LNOE(L)/ATOE(A)
1) Let's begin: Methodology
In order to archive any meaningful similarities for Woodinvale and Shadowbrook, we must filter out any analagous archetypes. For example, Father Joeseph-L and Brother Marcus-A both are archetypes for the religious man in horror stories. That, in of itself, does not further the unique history of the two locations. Marcus is a traveller, new to the secrets of Shadowbrook and Father Joe was 'never told of the town's past', despite being there for twenty-five years. So, it is not their archetypes that are informative, but the unique statements within each - we can now state that a strange horror fell upon Woodinvale over twenty-five years ago and is so disturbing in certain ways that the survivors will not talk about it, even to their priest (and what happened to their old priest?).

Next, one must scope out the extant of any links between the two areas. We cannot simply assume the two locations are even remotely adjacent. Obviously the Jake Cartwright-I/Heinrich Cartwright-A link (especially the fact of the same actor portraying them) hints at more than simply descendents (Plus the running joke "Cartwright is Forever'). But, as Sherlock once suggested: let the evidence lead one to a theory and not have a theory dictate which eveidence to look upon.

Finally, this is a fun hobby. As a fan of both games, it is obvious I appreciate a good backstory. With that in mind, i offer up my services as a 'Loremaster' for A Touch Of Evil and not for LNOE or COPE and IFOS. That i leave to others who so volunteer to look through cards, maps, and scraps of info. At best, I can only do LNOE and ATOE, not having any money to get the other games (yet).

Next up: part two - some substance!

QUICK QUESTION to moderators - It would be easy to post the actual text of the history of Shadowbrook from the game or the PDF rules online itself for reference. However, i do not want to risk any copyright infringements...and the supplements are not online. Your advice?

02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Great work Fate, Keep it upWatchmen02
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 01:49 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
I am just waiting on word from a moderator about content (see above post) and a moment or two to process (my son has a bad cold). Am also working on a strategy article for ATOE....I hear complaints that the game is largely luck and wandering about, but I think that there is more in the cards and design then is easily grasped. Even after several plays, I still wonder what I should be doing.....I know there are stretegic decisions for preparing the final battle and tactical decisions for each character, but I need to really look. It's just not apparent and clean as LNOE (live and kill). But that's another Thread Topic to be!

02-15-2011, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2011 04:22 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
OK: I have decided upon combining the strategy guide and the history guide into one file. I realized that getting to know Shadowbrook is:

Helpful to defining the 'Frog-o-verse'
Helpful to understand the 'story quality' of play behind ATOE
and
Helpful to reveal the Tactics and Strategies of the game-play

So, you don't feel like wandering aimlessly during the game?

If you fight a Vampire, best check out the chapel at the Hanbrook Manor...but beware the secrets therein: the Manor holds the best and worst of the Hanbrook history!

Perhaps, you think magic vs. magic is your best solution? Ben the Watchman's rumours of the living trees and the Witch that controls them sends you off to the Olde Woods. Is Ben correct, or is it Smugglers from the Coast and Timber Wolves prowling or maybe just the simple woodsmen of Shadowbrook and a faithful Hound? Enter and find out!

So: The Shadowbrook Gazetteer...coming soon.

02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
(02-14-2011 02:47 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  QUICK QUESTION to moderators - It would be easy to post the actual text of the history of Shadowbrook from the game or the PDF rules online itself for reference. However, i do not want to risk any copyright infringements...and the supplements are not online. Your advice?
Fate ,I like the idea and of course we need more AToE content
here to balance out these Zombie LoversZombie24

However posting up FFP materials would be a no no for the reason you suggest.However if I read your intentions correctly you are going
to give us a "fill in" between the Village of Shadowbrook and it's
new name of Woodinvale,which as Fan Fiction is fine.Actually
I don't think a great deal is given on the actual History of Shadowbrook
by FFP so you're fairly free to add your version

I did a AToE rational post a couple of years ago to give my slant
on why the Heroes are doing what they do.I would really like to see a good back story of why Shadowbrook its self is so cursed.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Anyone else notice that Sally is the only character who's last name we don't know?
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Sally is hot enough she does not need a last name?