Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Samurai visits Heresy Miniatures and finds out how figures are made and much more
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2011 06:29 PM by mqstout.)
The Samurai visits Heresy Miniatures and finds out how figures are made and much more
After reading Alice's thread about people wanting to find figures I decided to hunt some down. I found Wesker, Leon and Jill, Rebecca, Chris and a figure by Hasslefree that could be used for the Nemesis. For more info see Alice's thread here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...oes?page=3 She's done some fantastic Character cards and a scenario too.

Anyway Alice said 'Now I just need lickers and hunters' So off I went again and managed to find these things called lurkers by Heresy that look a bit like Lickers... Unfortunately the mouldings have been scrapped and there were no longer for sale and took off the website. However I like a challenge so I looked on the Website where they were based and called them up Sunday (closed) Called again Monday and arranged a visit Tuesday (Today).

I met and spoke with the Owner and Sculpter of Heresy Miniatures Mr Andy Foster. I introduced myself and told him I was the writer for TZG. I was given quite an insight into the miniatures industry. His sculpting studio is like an Aladdin's cave there was models everywhere. He was just working on some Fantasy Goblins and the sculptings look really fearsome nasty goblins. Not cartoony like they've become in some other companies.

Here's some questions I asked him.
Sam: "How long does it take you from an idea in your head to finished sculpt?"
Andy: "Sometimes I draw sketches first or sometimes I just have an idea in my head but it can be difficult with so many options of poses. But it varies depending on the model really."

His anatomically great sketches were on the wall. I noticed a cabinet in his studio with amazing looking figures. One of which was Nagash (Games Workshop Lord of all the Undead)

Sam: "Wow! These are sweet, did you paint them?"
Andy: (Nonchalantly) "On that shelf Yes. I used to work for Games Workshop. That Nagash I painted is the one that appeared in White Dwalf Magazine. As did others. I helped set up and manage the Games Workshop World HQ in Nottingham."

He'd also painted tonnes of other cool stuff such as Zombie Dragons.

Sam: "So what projects are you working on at the moment?"
Andy: "I'm just working on this Dragon, have a look."

(I wait with quiet awe as this huge box is pulled out full of styrefoam and out of it emerges the biggest best cast of a Dragon I've ever seen)

Sam: "That's amazing! Seriously it's the best dragon I've ever seen! It looks much better and bigger than the picture on the website."

(The pictures on the Heresy Website don't do it justice if you're into Fantasy or you just want the best looking Dragon on the market I would recommend this. The detail and pose is fantastic!)
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/dragon.htm

Andy: "Thank you. All my models do! Look at this."

(Shows me a new Predator like alien he's sculpting. This also looked better than the website pictures)

"My other projects are on that 'Board of Doom' behind you."

(A quick scan revealed things like Goblin and Blight Command sets)

Sam:(After noticing a picture) "Is that a Mirelurk from the Fallout game?"
Andy: "Yes I was making a model. Another company were not happy with me making it because they'd done one."
Sam: "Why's that?"
Andy: "This business has quite a few egos involved unfortunately."
Sam: "That's a shame because people like me who want lots of figures end up missing out."
Andy: Yes that's the case.
Sam: "Changing the subject a bit. I've been after some Lurkers you did. Have you got any still?"

(At this point one of Andy's moulding guys leans his head around the door and says with a wry smile)
Craig: "I might know where some are..." (goes hunting)
Sam: I've noticed the price of you figures is really good value. How do you keep them so cheap?

(eg. A zombie fig from the set costs about £1.33)

Andy: "It's not easy as the price of the metals has just gone up by 30% so the industry across the board is going to struggle."

Andy gives me a tour of Heresy Miniatures and I thank him for his time and shake his hand. I joined Craig who was very helpful and asked him about the process of making miniatures. I also asked permission to take photos for the website.

Stage 1
After a supplier is found the materials are ordered, paid for, packaged then delivered.

Stage 2
The materials are put into this melting pot. (During the tour Andy had helpfully advised me not to put my hand in) a digital reader nearby put the temperature at about 350 degrees. Ouch!

Stage 3

The molten metal is now put into round moulds that go in this magic machine. The central metal part is pushed down with the mould in and the lid is closed.

After the machine has worked it's magic. The moulds come out and are checked using a checklist above the machine. Reads such things like are the mould lines leveled up. There are also other instructions Andy has written which cannot be repeated. Needles to say I Lol'dWatchmen02

These are now clipped off tidied up and packaged with bases. To be posted to you guys.

Bigger multipart kits like the dragon are placed here to be picked and packed.

So what did I buy? Well I had to get the zombies packs 1 and 2. They are perfect to use as alternate Grave Weapon zombies. Rusty Axe, Sickle, Crawling Torso and really rotten looking ones as Stench of Death.

Last of all I got the Last Lukers Ever!!! There really are no more The moulds have been destroyed! Two crouching ones and 12 leaping ones. I will sell them to any of you if interested PM me and we'll discuss. I will be keeping some myself.

I left and was told I was always welcome to call back anytime. They were both really decent and helpful. Here's their site http://www.heresyminiatures.com/buyit.htm buy their stuff!

I hope you enjoyed this article. Questions/comments welcome.Watchmen02

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
RE: The Samurai visits Heresy Miniatures and finds out how figures are made and much more

03-22-2011, 11:27 PM
RE: The Samurai visits Heresy Miniatures and finds out how figures are made and much more
Nice report Trev, looks like you got a good adventure Watchmen02
Question:
How do they sculpt the figures? Are they sculpted the actual size they are when cast in metal or do they first make larger models?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2011, 01:36 AM
(03-22-2011 11:27 PM)Emp Wrote:  Nice report Trev, looks like you got a good adventure Watchmen02
Question:
How do they sculpt the figures? Are they sculpted the actual size they are when cast in metal or do they first make larger models?

As far as I'm aware they are sculpted out of green modeling clay known in the trade as (green stuff). I believe in some cases they are built around a wire shaped roughly like the figure. I actually saw the guy at work it was cool. The sculpts are actual size when sculpted.
03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Wauw, that is amazing. To add so much detail in such a small thing, those zombie clowns come to mind here, is truely unbelievable.

03-23-2011, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 11:14 AM by vikinglad.)
What a fun trip. I am super jealous. Great article! That dragon does look amazing; very real. What game(s) is it for?
03-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice write-up, Trev and I am jealous as hell.

So, what's next for our roving reporter? Off to see Sally and Kev from Hasslefree?? Watchmen02
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 04:24 PM by mqstout.)
(03-23-2011 02:59 PM)zombie67 Wrote:  Nice write-up, Trev and I am jealous as hell.

So, what's next for our roving reporter? Off to see Sally and Kev from Hasslefree?? Watchmen02

Been there done it! I met and spoke with Kev White at the Kelham Hall show but I've not been to their base of operations yet. There's a photo of us here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...elham-Hall However I will be visiting other places and you guys will be the first to know what I find out and what cool figures I can get my cold hands on!
(03-23-2011 11:13 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  What a fun trip. I am super jealous. Great article! That dragon does look amazing; very real. What game(s) is it for?

It's not for 1 particular game. You could use it in any fantasy game really game. The thing I like is that most model dragons you get you think hmmm.. that looks cool on the box, but it ends up being a small Wyrm instead. What you really want is something like this mother!

03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Incredible. I can't stop staring at it. I love the tongue. For everyone not motivated enough to click the link to Heresey's site, peep this blurb about it's creation:

Quote:At last the Dragon is finished. It took almost two years but Andy slaved and pushed through the mental walls. He sculpted thousands of individual scales over and over again as changes and improvments were layered one over the other. At times he felt like giving up and clawing his own eyes out to make sure he would never have to face looking at the Dragon again. But in the end, he triumphed.
03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
HOLY CRAP MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS UNHOLY, that thing is awesome!