Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread...
10-12-2022, 08:21 PM
The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread...
I'm sure I'm not alone when I look back on the ones that got away. I fondly remember (1990) looking up at the top shelf in my local game shop (it was called Excalibur Games) and seeing all those great titles up there. I would take them down after being blown away by the box art.
I gravitated straight away to 1st ed. Space Hulk as I loved the Alien films and these had more than a nod to them. I saved up my paper round wages £10 a week ($11.10) and bought it. I was transported into a whole new universe! I also saved and bought the expansions Death Wing and Genestealer.

Soon after, when finances allowed, other games followed Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Space Crusade, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Space Marine, Blood Bowl 40k and later titles such as Gorkamorka.

However, there were games that I really wanted but never got around to getting at the time and I WISH I had. This was due to not being able to afford them or just not knowing of their existence at the time.

1) Warhammer Quest. This is the epitome of everything I love. Dungeon crawling, treasure, monsters, miniatures to paint, jigsaw fitting dungeon tiles, fantasy setting, there were expansions too. How I wish I could have got it at the timeZombie18 Now I would be looking at 100s of £ or $ to get a copy. To this day, I don't know why I didn't sell my entire possessions to own it.

2) Mordheim, a skirmish based game where rival gangs battle in the pursuit of warpstone from a meteorite that has destroyed the city of Mordheim. It had scenery, miniatures and oozed dark gritty, tooth and nail, battling in the dark and filth of a ruinous city.

3) Blackstone Fortress I have the base game but I never pulled the trigger on the expansions and I regret it massively. Again very, very expensive to get on an auction site now. This completely works for me as I love Space Hulk and Space Crusade. I just had so many projects, I told myself I'd get around to it but alas I never did.

So, tell me, I'm intrigued. Which games got away from you that you wish you'd snagged at the time? I really look forward to your answers...

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2022, 12:19 AM
RE: The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread...
Runebound 2nd edition - - - would look at it in the clearance bin at Barnes & Noble and not know what it was....................Got 3rd edition most expansions and very happy with it....but second edition was so cheap and sooo much content. I just didn't know what it was. Now it's far too pricey to get into.
10-17-2022, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2022 08:21 PM by mkrob89.)
Camp Grizzly!
10-18-2022, 04:45 PM
I feel privileged that most of my big misses in gaming have been remedied by either new print runs or a trade savvy friend who has been able to acquire some great games like Black Plague or Fireteam Zero on the second hand market for a decent price. That being said, there are 2 that spring to mind as being things that I totally missed out on.

1. Arkham Horror 2nd edition
I was introduced around the same time as A Touch of Evil and despite many great memories, it had clear issues that aToE did not have, which lead me to move on. Years later, thanks to the internet we realized all our problems were summed up and solved by playing a proper player count. The board is just too big to play 1-2. Playing with 4 investigators at 2 players I have consistent Great games ! Unfortunately, by the time we realized this, the game was long out of print. I have 3rd and eldritch, and even tried the card game and mansions but nothing quite provided the same experience. You can still find the original game and I even rebought it a few years ago, but the expansions are insanely hard to find or very expensive. I ended up moving on from my copy yet again because I exclusively played the all-in version my buddy has. I’ve bid on 3-4 collections on eBay or local auctions but they always rocket to double or more what I’m willing to pay. Maybe I’d be willing to pay a premium if I didn’t already have access to playing the game, but I am sad all the expansions are out of print.

2. Warhammer Quest
Yeah… I’ve never even SEEN a copy in the wild and it’s annoying because this is like the progenitor of one of my favorite genres of games and I can’t seem to escape the constant references. This should have popped up in my youth though, and my working theory is it did exist but I ignored it because the warhammer title threw me off. I was very much unable to afford warhammer as a kid so if it did show up I probably didn’t recognize it as an independent product. That being said, I totally missed the boat on this piece of history.
12-20-2022, 06:33 PM
A Little Late on this (just never noticed) with the exception of Blackstone Fortress I have all the others everyone was missing.
Maybe I should amend my Will.................

Runebound 2nd ed. I was late getting into this (at first, I thought it was a Collectable Card Game) the base game was still available
but a lot of the Card Expansions were OoP. The Game also had several big Expansions but the one I wanted was Midnight Expansion
which was OoP. So, it was my Dream Game until I finally saw a copy on ebay & was able pick it up.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-21-2022, 04:15 PM
Wow, you list is the same as mine for both what you have and what you missed out on. I definitely would like to have the Mordheim book and the original Warhammer Quest in my collection. But I am also not going to pay the amounts people want for them to have them just sit there too. I have a lot of games still waiting to be played and they are good games too. I made a lot of content for Blackstone fortress and will be putting some ol Heroquest

Another one would be Shogun the board game. Growing up, I had this, loved it and lost it (moved out and disappeared over the years).

A recent one is Dungeon Universalis. Another printing is coming up and likely pulling the trigger on it. I really like a good psuedo rpg/dungeon crawler and this is so good imo.
12-23-2022, 03:13 PM
I would do anything to put my hands on original Mordheim and all of the warbands etc.
Me and another guy were the first to translate it into polish language.

oh ...memories...