Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Validity of BoardGameGeek...
01-10-2013, 02:50 AM
The Validity of BoardGameGeek...
... in relation to board gamers in general.

I was going through BBG this evening in effort to justify my opinion that Conquest of Planet Earth was Flying Frog's least popular base game. Surprisingly, I discovered I was wrong.

Last Night on Earth (7859 ratings averaging a 7.27)
A Touch of Evil (2394 ratings, 7.04)
Fortune and Glory (953 ratings, 7.38)
Conquest of Planet Earth (674 ratings, 7.10)
Invasion from Outer Space (511 ratings, 7.42)

My question is this: What do you think is the ratio between game owners and those that would bother to visit a site and rate said game? 10:1? 25:1?

And can we take from those ratings that Fortune and Glory actually sold more than both CoPE and IfOS? Considering the price points, that one is a stunner.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
RE: The Validity of BoardGameGeek...
(01-10-2013 02:50 AM)D. Boons Ghost Wrote:  ... in relation to board gamers in general.

I was going through BBG this evening in effort to justify my opinion that Conquest of Planet Earth was Flying Frog's least popular base game. Surprisingly, I discovered I was wrong.

Last Night on Earth (7859 ratings averaging a 7.27)
A Touch of Evil (2394 ratings, 7.04)
Fortune and Glory (953 ratings, 7.38)
Conquest of Planet Earth (674 ratings, 7.10)
Invasion from Outer Space (511 ratings, 7.42)

My question is this: What do you think is the ratio between game owners and those that would bother to visit a site and rate said game? 10:1? 25:1?

And can we take from those ratings that Fortune and Glory actually sold more than both CoPE and IfOS? Considering the price points, that one is a stunner.

I don't have any of the games aside from LNOE and most of the expansions but the two other FF games I have considered buying are Fortune and Glory and A Touch of Evil. So if I am any sort of barometer, there ya go! Insane20

(My reasoning has been that the Martian games seemed a little more similar to LNOE so if I was going to buy something else by FF I wanted it to be the game with a very different gaming experience than LNOE.)
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
They might be accurate, from what I saw at Gencon anyway. COPE and IFOS were much less "drummed up" than FANG's release was.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I will say when looking at some of the pictures on BGG of IFOS and COPE I seemed a bit turned off by the presence of the games. There is no justification behind it, they may be excellent games in and of themselves, but they just didn't seem as appealing as the boards for ATOE and FANG.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but that was definitely my first reaction.
01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
I can see how the theme of IfOS might be unappealing to some. It is interesting to note, however, that it is the highest rated base game that Flying Frog has produced. At least according to BBG.

I do attribute that one to two things:

* It runs off the popular (and proven) LNoE engine.

* Theme wise, there are no other games on the market that compete. If you like martians vs. carnies, you are REALLY going to like the game - unlike LNoE's rating, which I suspect is lowered quite a bit by jealous Zombicide fans. Watchmen02
01-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I tend to consider the number of votes when it comes to ratings.

I would take CoPE and IfOS with a grain of salt if you were to put them in a table with LNoE and ATOE. I recall when LNoE had about a 1,000 ratings it was around 7.7 and AToE was actually closer to 8.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
01-17-2013, 12:10 AM
The # of votes mean a lot in BGG ratings so it's not a totally oranges to oranges comparision.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Personally, I rank my favorite FFP games as follows:

1. Last Night on Earth
2. Invasion From Outer Space
3. Fortune and Glory
4. A Touch of Evil - I think I would rate this higher if my gaming circle would play this more but I seem to be the only one in the group who even like this game :\

I don't own, nor have I ever played Conquest of Planet Earth so I really can't rate that one myself
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
ATOE seems to be a real take it or leave it sort of game. I love it, and so do a lot of others, but there is an equal of greater number of players who just don't seem to appreciate it.

That said, a 7 is a respectable score on boardgamegeek.
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
(01-17-2013 06:16 PM)Anim8r Wrote:  4. A Touch of Evil - I think I would rate this higher if my gaming circle would play this more but I seem to be the only one in the group who even like this game :\

Same here, I love the game and think it is a brilliant game once you have a dozen or so plays under your belt but it's so difficult to get people to play something that takes a while to warm to.