Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The World of Munchkin
02-02-2011, 07:06 AM
The World of Munchkin
It seems that many people here have played Hero Quest at some time or another. If not its a dungeon based game from games workshop.

My question is, has anyone played either the card game or board game of this dungeon style rpg called the World of Munchkin? Seems like a very childish game but at the same time ridiculous and humorous enough to attract older fans of the genre in parody.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2011 12:16 PM by vikinglad.)
RE: The World of Munchkin
I still play my Hero Quest about once a month. My 8-yerar-old daughter likes it now. I have never heard of this Munchkin game, but after checking out the website, I really wanna see more. The boardgame "Munchkin Quest" looks great.
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
(02-02-2011 07:06 AM)RenegadeZombie Wrote:  It seems that many people here have played Hero Quest at some time or another. If not its a dungeon based game from games workshop.

My question is, has anyone played either the card game or board game of this dungeon style rpg called the World of Munchkin? Seems like a very childish game but at the same time ridiculous and humorous enough to attract older fans of the genre in parody.

Do you mean the Munchkin Quest board game? And/or the Munchkin Card game? And/or the d20 based RPG books?

If so then yes, I have played them all. And they are childish, corny, idiotic, stupid, imbecilic, moronic, and any other form of the word Dumb you can find... In addition to that, and with that being said, they are a riot and great fun for those of us who are still kids at heart. Zombie03

The whole idea of these games is to be silly and stupid. Heck they includes cards that allow you to cheat... as a rule. LOL That's the whole point. Be silly. Let loose and just have a laugh and some fun.

I found the board game rules a bit hard to follow, they rule book a bit over complicated and way too thick, and the general play a bit taxing and less fun than I had hoped... but that is likely due to the fact that I only have played it once and still don't quite have the rules down yet.

I find the card game excellent and great fun. Easy to learn and fast to play.

The RPG... Well, I've read the books but never actually played it. But it looks like great fun, and if you know how to play d20 games already no problem to learn.

I own everything Munchkin... (With the exception of a few of the Card sets, and the Quest 2 expansion to the board game which I intend on getting soon, and several of the "Extra" things that add a rule to the game but otherwise add no real impact on the game (such as t-shirts, bookmarks, etc...) though I do own some of these things as well.)

But never heard of anything called "World of Munchkin" though it might be something new I've yet to hear about, I suppose.
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
HQ & Advanced HQ Si-Munchkin No.Munchkin stuff does look like a lot of fun ,especially the CoC Munchkin but we're just not into card games.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I have Munchkin, all of its expansions, and most of the different flavors (missing The Good, The Bad, and The Munchkin, and maybe one other one).
My absolute favorite is the original Munchkin. Super Munchkin and Munchkin Fu being my next favorites.
It is a complete riot, tons of fun.

I also have Munchkin Quest, and agree with Gothic, the rules are a bit hard to follow. I have only gotten a chance to play one partial game, and haven't had time to get back to it to give it another shot, so I am not sure if the rules/flow of the game gets better with experience.
02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
To Gothic,

That's the one. My apologies, I am still new to that game, I believe the "World of" is simply the company name addition for the website. I have heard of the board game and cards but not the rpg books. I was never a huge fan of the d20 games but I am a table top game. I am a Warhammer 40k player (eldar) so I am a dice roller. It sounds like you would recommend the cards over the board game? (I dont really need a board game atm thx to LNOE Zombie03 ) But cards could be cool. (although LNOE is becoming a card game in some of the late rounds of our games) Thanks for all the info guys.
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
(02-05-2011 08:55 AM)RenegadeZombie Wrote:  To Gothic,

That's the one. My apologies, I am still new to that game, I believe the "World of" is simply the company name addition for the website. I have heard of the board game and cards but not the rpg books. I was never a huge fan of the d20 games but I am a table top game. I am a Warhammer 40k player (eldar) so I am a dice roller. It sounds like you would recommend the cards over the board game? (I dont really need a board game atm thx to LNOE Zombie03 ) But cards could be cool. (although LNOE is becoming a card game in some of the late rounds of our games) Thanks for all the info guys.

Oh yeah, most definitely recommend the card game over the board game...

The board game is cool, but it takes a lot of reading and logic to figure it all out. Also a serious understanding of the card game to begin with doesn't hurt at all. The rules of the board game seem a bit convoluted and written from a perspective of someone who knows how to play already and is telling someone else who already knows how to play.

But the card game is pretty simple, just a 4 page rules sheet (and much of that taken up with images, large text, and ads for other games), and simple fun munchkiny goodness. Zombie17