Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The ideas keep coming
05-05-2014, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 02:59 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
RE: The ideas keep coming
They are great cards - adding that feel of cinematic Zombie goodness really REALLY well. BUT...I couldn't possibly print them to make them into cards that won't be identifiable. So...what to do? I could use a swap out list (A list stating that if this card is drawn, instead do that), but in the heat of the game, the list gets forgotten. So, I recommend the following use of the 'point system'.

(I do very much understand I have not play balanced the point costs, so I leave it 'blank')

ATMOSPHERE: 'X' dots: During the 'Place Newly Spawned Zombies' phase, you may elect to not place two zombies (minimum) and instead apply an atmospheric challenge. This challenge is rolled randomly on the table below and performed immediately.
1: "Don't Open That Door!" - Lock a door of your choice. The door may be unlocked by any adjacent Hero for no action cost, but two zombies immediately spawn on the other side of the door if there is no Hero either adjacent or within 1 square to the other side of the door.
2: "Oops.": Roll a random Hero. They screwed up. They broke a shelf, dropped a bottle, cut themselves and cried out, discharged a firearm, whatever. In any case, every single zombie on the board moves one square closer to them.
3: "Damnit! Say something, will ya?": Once during this turn, when a zombie gets killed, place that zombie on a respawn point. Also, if there is a Hero within two squares that didn't cause the kill, move that Hero to the square of the killed zombie only if it is empty. If the square has an active zombie move the Hero to the nearest adjacent empty square. There is no kill recorded. It was a case of mistaken identity...luckily the attack just missed. If there was no Hero to move, then the attack scared a cat, blew off a mannequin's head, smashed a mirror, shredded a human shaped tree trunk, took out a poster of Beyoncé, etc.
4: "Can't see!" Inform the Heroes on one board segment that some mist rolled in, a nearby fire is causing heavy smoke, the lights are flickering, a cloud has crossed the moon, or whatever. What this means is that twice during this whole turn, you may add a single zombie in an adjacent square to a Hero after they have moved, IF they have moved more than two squares. If none move more than two squares, you may place the zombies in a spawning pit at the end of the hero turn. This only affects the Heroes on a particular chosen board segment, and it does apply if they move off that board segment.
5: "No! Behind you!" Pick two Heroes immediately. Tell the first that they have seen a danger to the second and if they take their turn before the second Hero in the upcoming Her Turn and elect to move directly to the second hero by shortest path, but not beyond the second hero's square, then things are good and nothing else happens. Otherwise, you may place a single zombie on the second hero's square or in a separate but adjacent square to the second hero at the end of the second hero's turn. If the chosen two heroes start in the same square or if there is only one hero remaining, ignore this result and instead place two zombies at spawning pits as usual.
6: "Don't you F'ing move!": Place two zombies in a hero's square. If everyone in that square elects to skip their turn entirely, then the zombies can not attack and will wander off (removed to the pool) at the end of the full Hero Turn. If anyone in the square does take a normal turn, those two zombies immediately behave like normal zombies at the end of that hero's turn, remain on the board and may move 1d6 next turn.

DRAWN TO NOISE: 'X' dots: If any gun is used in an attack during the Hero Turns, then add one zombie to the spawn total for the next Zombie Turn, even if there are no zombies to be spawned (so: a minimum of one spawned zombie). If more than one gun is used or an explosion occurs, then use the same rules but make it two zombies.
(Note: I like the 'noise attracts attention rule, but with respect, I find that the Heroes would really take advantage of manipulating zombie movement with the card as written. Besides clearing the path to trucks and drawing zombies from weak heroes, if I got a good couple of guns, then it would become a shooting gallery with zeds walking back and forth during the turn, leaving the Heroes with hand weapons to search at their leisure on the far side of the board.)

05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I may be being a little slow here but I have no idea what this last reply is about. Why would they be none identifiable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 03:53 PM
(05-05-2014 03:34 PM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  I may be being a little slow here but I have no idea what this last reply is about. Why would they be none identifiable.

No, I am the slow one! If i sleeved my cards then players couldn't tell the difference between printed and real cards!

05-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Ok, right. See my group have a spare set of hero cards. So we stick the new ones on the cards
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I sleeve all my cards which makes it very handy to add and/or modify cards.

Pfr_Fate's concept holds some merit though for those who don't sleeve.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
05-06-2014, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 05:54 PM by Fizzgaz.)
Getting back to why the gun thing can be remains in play:
I see it as the wind is up and there is other noises distracting the zombies. When the card is played (theme wise) the wind settles and an eerie silence falls on the town. "Keep quiet guys"
05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
This is the card we use. It has the word "may" in it so Heroes cannot use it just for creating distractions and "controlling" in the Zs. Also, it's limited to the range of the weapon.

It also allows the ZP to ignore Z Hunger if it suites him.

[Image: ?dl=1]

05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Love the picture and like the card but I prefer the has to move because Then it can be used for and against the zombie. Thematically a zombie couldn't choose they would just stumble towards the noise.
05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
(05-08-2014 03:25 PM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  Love the picture and like the card but I prefer the has to move because Then it can be used for and against the zombie. Thematically a zombie couldn't choose they would just stumble towards the noise.

I agree. They're a pretty mindless bunchZombie20
05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Mindless, true, but every Zombie may not "hear" every sound. And for some their hunger for nearby flesh may override their "curiosity" over some loud sound.

I could see it either way, but we didn't want a remains in play that the Heroes could use to "control" the Zombies with little or no consequence. In the base game, if a Hero is going to attempt to draw Zombies away from an area of the board they have to rely mostly on Zombie Hunger, which comes at a cost. We didn't want to mess with that base mechanic in a semi-permanent fashion such as a remains in play card. IMO a distraction type card is great as a one-off.