Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The rule of the Pentacle
11-22-2013, 11:12 AM
The rule of the Pentacle
Ciao Amici
I’ve played to Atoe more time , and like this game overall.
doing different games with friends we have developed a rule to make the game more dynamic.
I would be honored to submit to your attention.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rule of the Pentacle.
As soon as a card reveals that the monster acts . Is determined the exact point on the map where the monster appears . For example, if there is an ongoing attack on a hero it is clear that the monster is the hero in the box , otherwise the monster killed a notable of the village, we take a Lair card to determine where the crime took place .
Established on 1 point of action of the monster We mark with the marker 1.
At this point, the heroes feel quite ready to tackle the monster rush to the point 1, the first that comes to draw a Lair card that will determine the point 2 where the monster is moving .
The rounds continue as usual with the difference that the players at their turn may choose to follow the track 2 and move up to there. Beware though traces can also disperse so players who want to reach in time track 2 must do so in a number of moves is not greater than that indicated on the Lair card itself .
The game continues in this manner until you do not get to track 5, here ends the Pentacle evil , and it is here where the final battle with the monster, of course, if the hero is defeated , the game continues as usual until that does not show up the opportunity to follow another track.
Some considerations:
will be the heroes who will not have time to come to the track in the number of rounds required in the Lair card, these heroes will not be able to continue to follow the trail of the pentacle .
Track 1 , as explained above is obtainable with a card, or with evidence of a monster's attack , however, is track 1 will be reached by the heroes , always in a number of rounds equal to his honor. However, true for the other tracks the rule of the number on the Liar card .
The rule of the pentacle has been defined in this way because for best practice you need 5 tokens numbered from number 1 to 5 ( of Something Wicked in the box you can find, instead of 5 is the X but is fine) and a pentacle magic that we can also draw on a sheet of paper. The pentacle has sides numbered and settle on each side of the hole cards he go drawing from time to time , however, the pentacle is a symbol of magic and if you go to draw with a little 'fantasy , will give more force to the plot of the game .
Last consideration if during the pursuit of the heroes came out a paper Mystery, which indicate a new monster's attack , we must start from the beginning with track 1 and stopped previous tracking .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I have expressed myself well and I would be curious of your opinion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2013, 01:45 PM
RE: The rule of the Pentacle
Interesting, nice work.
11-22-2013, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 03:46 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
I think I really like this. Just so I understand, do you mind if I paraphrase a little?

1. The game plays as normal until the Villain "appears" somewhere on the board.
2. An attack on a Hero, a Showdown or other interaction with the Villain will reveal the location of the Villain. If the Villain should appear by attacking a Town Elder then a Lair card is drawn to indicate the location of that attack and the Villain's position.
3. Once the Villain's location is determined a 1 marker is placed on the space
4. A Hero (other than the Hero already on the space) must arrive there within a number of turns indicated by their Honor. If they get there in time a Lair card is drawn to determine where the Villain is headed to next.
5. If a Hero is able to reach the 2nd location within the number of turns indicated on the Lair card (ie, the number indicating the cost of the Lair card), they have discovered the Villain again.
6. If no Heroes are able to reach a destination within the number of turns required the Villain's trail is lost. All number tokens are removed and the Rule of the Pentacle is reset.
7. Each time a location is reached in time however, a new Lair card is drawn to indicate the next destination. The new Lair card will indicate how many turns the Heroes have to reach it, and so on, until someone reaches the 5th destination.
8. If the Villain reappears on the board as a matter of game play (ie, attack on a Hero, Town Elder, etc.), the Rule of the Pentacle is reset.
9. If a Hero is able to reach the 5th destination in time however, a normal Showdown is initiated. If the Villain survives, the Rule of the Pentacle is reset.

Do I have it correctly? This seems like a really fun way to play.

It seems though it may be difficult to reach the 5th destination, given the potential for interruption by normal game play. Maybe if the Villain reappears as a result of a card or other game play, the Pentacle does not reset but just takes a step back, or a step sideways, or some mechanic to keep it going. What you thought was destination #3, for example, just moved to the location of the Villain's new attack.

Perhaps there can be a reward for being the player to reach a destination in time. Investigation equal to the number on the card. Or perhaps a 1 round attack on the Villain before he flees. That would make sense theatrically as the Hero stumbles upon the Villain.

We will definitely be trying this out. Nice work baldovaldo!!

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-25-2013, 09:44 AM
[img][Image: Pentacleblack_zps2aab6b3f.jpg][/img]

voilà this is my pentacle.
In the edge of star whit roman number you put lair card
11-25-2013, 11:25 AM
ciao ATOEtalgeek,

Thanks you for your properly explain , it’s perfect.
I want to explain only one detail. when we play with Pentacle rule don’t buy showdown that it’s appear only at the end of pentacle .
We have played with Atoe base game and I don’t know the effect with Something Wicked togheter . In the Pentacle image you can see H S C
Around eye this mean possibly cunning or spirit test for three or four steps when test is passes player may roll another dice. This because SW is more large than base game
11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
(11-25-2013 11:25 AM)baldovaldo Wrote:  In the Pentacle image you can see H S C

Stands for Honor, Spirit & Cunning, correct?

(11-25-2013 11:25 AM)baldovaldo Wrote:  Around eye this mean possibly cunning or spirit test for three or four steps when test is passes player may roll another dice. This because SW is more large than base game

Is it a 5+ test? Or what do you have in mind?

You only have H, S, C on three of the five arms of the Pentacle. What of the other two. Is there no test for those?

Perhaps an option. As you have already used Honor to indicate the number of turns required to reach the first destination, you could use Spirit and Cunning to reach the 2nd and 3rd, and not use the number on the card. Maybe limit it to the skill of the Hero with the lowest of that skill. Then as players increase their skills they have a better chance of reaching the destinations.

This probably still needs some work and play test but it might work.

11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes Exactly H means honor C cunning and S spirit.

Yes I think a normal test 5+ ,and player gain one turn .

For example : step 2 is in Town Hall ,but step three is Forgotten Island and Lair card mark only 1 ,then player can try a cunning test 5+ and gain one turn supply , this advantage can use only once, or test cunning for three step or spirit for four step.

But test Cunning and Spirit explains above is valid only with base game + Something wicked togheter.

The test honor at first step is for remedy at Villain attack ,because Hero under attack is just in the box and other Hero no.
But attention i've tested only Shadowbrook i don't tested Shadowbrook + SW

I thank you for your attention.
And I look for your suggestions to improve the work

ciao ATOEtalgeek
11-26-2013, 08:03 PM
(11-26-2013 02:55 PM)baldovaldo Wrote:  Yes I think a normal test 5+ ,and player gain one turn .

For example : step 2 is in Town Hall ,but step three is Forgotten Island and Lair card mark only 1 ,then player can try a cunning test 5+ and gain one turn supply , this advantage can use only once, or test cunning for three step or spirit for four step.

I like the idea of testing to see if you can add to the number of turns you're allowed to reach the destination. If you cannot make it in the prescribed number of turns indicated on the Lair card then you may make a test. If you pass the test you are granted an additional attempt to make the destination on your next turn. If you don't make it to the destination on your next turn you may test again. If successfull, you are granted an additional attempt, and so on.

For the particular skill needed for each step I think assign them as follows:
1st Destination - you may reach the destination on your first turn. If you do not you may use your Honor to test for an additional attempt. You may continue to make your way to the destination as long as you pass the test.

2nd Destination - You are limited to a number of turn equal to the number on the Lair card. If you fail to reach it in that amount of turns you may use Spirit to test to earn an additional attempt. You may continue to add turns as long as you pass the test.

3rd Destination - Same as 2nd only use Cunning.

4th Destination - Use Honor to test.

5th Destination - Use Combat to test.

If all Heroes fail their tests and no more turns are available to reach a given destination the Rule of the Pentacle is reset to zero.

It does not have to be the same Hero reaching all of the steps. All the Heroes can be involved and any one of them may attempt to reach any destination in time.