Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The second coming of Ophelia
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: The second coming of Ophelia
(06-25-2013 09:44 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 01:47 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  
(06-24-2013 09:48 PM)LabRat Wrote:  
(06-24-2013 01:40 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  Cartwright

I'm still waiting for the IFOS version of Cartwright.

Cartwright was not in IFOS because LNOE is compatable with IFOS. Simply pick up our dear drifter and there ya go! Being that it is forty years earlier, you maight have to change his first name or use the Alexander name from FANG... :-)

I beleive the Frogoverse timeline is something like so:

ATOE - small secluded village USA, 1900
FANG - worldwide, late 1930s (beware that Book of the Dead appearing in the Heartland, though!)
IFOS - sleepy town middle USA, 1940s
COPE - USA, 1950s
LNOE - sleepy rural town USA, 1980s

You're 100 years too late for ATOE - more like 1799

Doh! Yes, of course! Typo. I edited the post. Thanks!

06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Nobody loves flying frog secrets more than i do, but I'm not buying Ophelia as a latter-day Valeria.

For starters, I'm not seeing a physical resemblance. Their abilities are not that closely related, except for that heal a hit thing.

But what matters most is theme and story, and that's where the connection really falls apart for me.

Valeria loves the hunt too much to ever turn to the quit. And she's allergic to religion, so i can't see her joining a cloister. I don't think a vampire can quit being a vampire anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
(06-26-2013 05:51 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Nobody loves flying frog secrets more than i do, but I'm not buying Ophelia as a latter-day Valeria.

For starters, I'm not seeing a physical resemblance. Their abilities are not that closely related, except for that heal a hit thing.

But what matters most is theme and story, and that's where the connection really falls apart for me.

Valeria loves the hunt too much to ever turn to the quit. And she's allergic to religion, so i can't see her joining a cloister. I don't think a vampire can quit being a vampire anyway.

I say it is not a sure thing until we see more cards of Ophelia. However, I do see the resemblance. But to be my own devil's advocate:
One could explain the "heal when kill" ability as her redemptive nature, in that she feels better when she is destroying the evil.
And what are the terrible things of her past? Who knows? It could be she was a nun at Widowcrest with the Priest...something to do with Sally's Mother, I think...I don't recall right now. Let me correlate more data for options.

However, for Valeria to give up the hunt? That happens all the time with fiction: the bad guy seeking redemption and surpressing darker urges. Valeria is shown as confronting the Suffian Crypt with a Brother right behind her.... Who knows what is in there? Enough for a Pharoxian vampire warrior to choose a different path?

I must say that usually the simplest answer is the best....but that isn't always the case (see Liliana) and Ophelia is 'strange'.

06-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Greetings professor

I've studied both pictures in detail and I concur I can see the resemblance. The eyebrows, cheakbones and the shape of her lips do look very similar.

Is the nun a reformed vampire? It's a great theory. Although I believe the only way a vampire would dress as a nun would be for vampire's own amusement before slaying the whole convent. I have read almost all of Anne Rice's vampire chronicles and I think most vampires end up killing themselves from a combination of loneliness and a sense of being unable to keep up or relate to the changing world around them.

I don't believe a vampire could reform (at least in my view of vampire mythology). However the Frogites may be otherwise inclined. It would be capital if your hypothesis proves to be valid.
06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
If A vampire were "cured" I could see them as "reformed" Zombie03 I do see the similarity in features Samurai mentioned, but not enough so that it "looks" like her to me. The skin tone is one of the things throwing me, which is the actresses own. Could be photoshopped I suppose. It's so hard to tell.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
06-28-2013, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 10:36 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
As for reforming vampires....it is entirely up to the writer! Whatever it takes. For our example say the Suffian Crypt. By the ATOE card a hero encounters it and is either possessed or gains Honor. So Valeria passes..gains her soul and BANG Ophelia.....she has all the vamp powers but isnt hurt by religion.... ever see Angel?
[Image: pic468151_md.jpg]

07-01-2013, 01:51 PM
I have to say it's impossible to rule out just from the character cards. I see similarities in the lips, nose and upper lip depression below the nose (what is that area called anyway? Watchmen02 ). At GenCon last year we had the pleasure of meeting Katarina the Outlaw (in full garb) and Harlow Morgan. We actually play tested with Harlow and got his photo with his card! I will definitely be on the lookout for Valeria this year. If she's there I will investigate.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
This is absurd; Why are we still idly speculating about whether or not the actresses are the same person when we can just look up the name of the actress(es) in the credits section located at the ends of their respective rulebooks?

I feel like this theory is a bit far-fetched, but if the actresses are the same person, it would go a long way toward convincing me.
07-02-2013, 08:44 AM
(07-02-2013 06:32 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  I feel like this theory is a bit far-fetched, but if the actresses are the same person, it would go a long way toward convincing me.

Why? Aren't all the 'actors' family and friends of FFP? That certainly keeps costs down and inevitably as more expansions are developed there will be people 'playing' several roles - it doesn't mean that those roles are connected in any way.
07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
That's an excellent point, Achtungpanzer, the roles being played by one person is not in any way conclusive, but it would lend some credence to the idea- on the other hand, if the roles are played by two people, it would pretty much rule it out as a possibility for me.