Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"They're Coming Out Of The Well, They're Coming Out Of The Damn Well!"
08-24-2010, 03:34 AM
"They're Coming Out Of The Well, They're Coming Out Of The Damn Well!"
This is a new scenario idea that my friend and I came up with tonight. We haven't play-tested it yet (that's tomorrow nights gaming) but we're pretty sure it's pretty fair and even. I'll come on here after Play-Testing tomorrow and let you know how it goes but if anyone else feels like giving it a go in the meantime we'd love to get some feedback on it. Thanks a lot.

Tom
Quote:"They're Coming Out Of The Well, They're Coming Out Of The Damn Well!"
by Anthony Wisheart & Tom Ray

Turns: 15

Game Setup

1) Set up the game board with the town centre in the middle. This scenario requires that the four L-shaped board sections are the Farm, School, Hospital and The Police Station/Church. These four should be shuffled while upside down and placed around the board in a random order (as normal).

2) Remove the "My God, They've Taken Theā€¦" and "New Spawning Pit" cards from the Zombie deck.

3) The Hero Player or Players must start with the following team: Sheriff Anderson, Becky The Nurse, Jenny The Farmers Daughter and Johnny The Quarterback. These Characters begin the game in their usual start locations. They each begin the game with one Hero card but if a Gun is drawn they must shuffle it back into the deck and draw another card.

4) The Zombie Player or Players starts the game with 1 +D6 Zombies. These Zombies begin on the centre square of the Town Centre.

Special Rules

1) The Zombie Player or Players must always spawn on the centre square of the Town Centre as they are crawling up out of the Well. No other Spawning pits are used in this scenario.

2) The Zombie Player or Players "Take Over" a building by moving at least two Zombies into it. If one of the two Zombies is in a space with a hero the building does not count as "Taken Over". When a building is taken over place a "Taken Over" counter by it and you may place a Zombie from your Zombie pool in every empty space in the building. These Zombies may not move this turn but are free to move as normal in the next Zombie turn. Note: If the Zombies "Take Over" a building during the Heroes turn as a result of Killing a hero inside a building the new Zombies may move as normal in their next Zombie turn.

3) If a roll for new Zombies is failed a Zombie Player may still Spawn 1 new Zombie on a D6 roll of 4+.

4) The Hero Player or Players must use the four Heroes mentioned above in the Game Setup section to begin with. They may however gain a new Hero as normal if one of them is turned into a Zombie Hero for any reason. The replacement characters must begin the game in a randomly determined building and receive one Hero card (subject to the rule about Guns mentioned in the Game Setup section).

5) The Heroes (including mid-game replacements arriving in random buildings) may not search the building they begin the game in for the duration of this scenario.

6) The Heroes may "Clear Out" a "Taken Over" building by throwing Dynamite or detonating a Gas Marker inside the building. Normal restrictions apply, so, to empty the Gasoline into the building or throw a stick of Dynamite the Hero must be in an adjacent square to the building. In addition, the explosion from the Gas Marker is restricted to the interior of the building (so it is possible to fire a ranged weapon through the window without putting your Hero in extreme danger). Note: The Dynamite still requires a Keyword: Fire item to use it.

Scenario Objectives

1) The Zombie Player or Players win by "Taking Over" and keeping 5 buildings or by Killing all Heroes.

2) The Hero Player or Players win by surviving until dawn without conceding 5 buildings to the Zombies.

Scenario Search Items

Keyword: Explosive
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
RE: "They're Coming Out Of The Well, They're Coming Out Of The Damn Well!"
I like the scenario, it sounds fun and workable. I don't like parts Setup3 and Rules5, though. Random heroes for me. You could still make it "each hero has to start in its own "L" without insisting on only those heroes. I think your goal for restricting searches is to keep the hero moving, but this seems like the wrong way to do it. Or perhaps it's a fix to a problem your group has with turtling?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks dude.
Maybe the players could choose the heroes but we specifically wanted the Heroes to start one in each board quarter and the Zombies in the centre (as a role reversal of general play) so the Heroes would still be limited to one per quarter. We especially don't want someone to choose the 3 school kids and have 3 guys in (almost) the same building.
We also didn't want the Drifter as a starting character because he doesn't have an indoor start location and we wanted each character to have one building they cannot search.

Oh yeah, and I've never heard the word Turtling before but I instinctively know what you mean, and yeah we do have a bit of a problem with it in my group. Sometimes when you roll a 1 for movement though you just think; "Oh what the hell, I'll stand and search then have a shot at that Zombie there".

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I'll run yr feedback by my friend tonight when I see him and maybe post up a revised version after we Play test it tonight.

Cheers.
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I think I agree with stout. Forced heroes always stifles gameplay and "oh shit" moments. Beyond that, why are explosives a scenario search item?
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2010 05:48 PM by Diakon.)
Orguss Wrote:I think I agree with stout. Forced heroes always stifles gameplay and "oh shit" moments. Beyond that, why are explosives a scenario search item?

'cos they can be used to clear out taken over buildings. My mate wanted to make fire a scenario search too bt i put my foot down. We could let players choose their characters but we'd still have to limit them to one per table quarter cos otherwise it'd undermine the whole point of the scenario. To have the Zombies and Heroes roles reversed. It'd suck big time if Johnny, Billy and Sally were chosen and three of the heroes started in (sort of) the same building. We want the Zombies starting in the middle of the board and the heroes around the edges.

Hmm perhaps the heroes could start on the unused Zombie Spawning pits.

Our play tests are pretty clear that the zombies always win though so we're currently trying to even it out a little bit, trying a few things out. I'll be back with new version in a few days.

Peace.
08-26-2010, 08:22 PM
So, since you have the Sheriff, does he start with his pistol? You mentioned that everyone has to reshuffle pistols.
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow I'm a tard. I read the objectives and most of the rules but totally missed reading rule 6
09-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Hey sorry it's been a while but we've been doing some intensive playtesting and I haven't managed to get pn here for a week.

We've changed the rules slightly now so the heroes start on the zombie spawn points. One hero per spawn point. Players discretion. We also changed the search rule so that you can search in a starting building (if the spawn point is in one) but you can't search the same building twice in a row. It plays out better now.

Also yes, the sheriff does still start with a pistol as his character rule overrides the mission rules. If he receives a second gun as his starting card (all heroes receive 1) then that must be shuffled back into the deck and another card drawn.
When I get an updated scenario typed I'll post the new version.
10-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the effort to make those scenario's
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I too don't like parts Setup3 and Rules5, though. i also prefear Random heroes.
Interesting enough. thanks