Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thoughts on soB
10-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Thoughts on soB
True the KS is only a couple of days old & there are a lot
more goodies to break out in stretch goals & ad-ons +
the thing is a year away..however a few observations are in order(IMO)

No not the bitching about the mine cart (just grow up) but
about THEME. The first thing I thought was The Old West vs
Lovecraft or a Portal to Hell(somewhere in my memory is a Mythos story about an old mine).

Instead theme wise it strikes me like the old GW Skirmish
Morthelm with Black Shards replacing Warp Stone.
Mutant humans & animals but also otherworld portals that
throw in Robots & alien warriors.

So I'm not sure how I'll handle this, I like the mutant theme
but the otherworlds so far really don't do it for me. I pledge
Outlaw Level so I'll get most of the Mutant & extra Hero stuff
& I can pick up the add-ons that apply for these groups.

Perhaps there will be a few otherworlds that fit the core
Games better that what I've seen so far. The Frogs have
explained the rational for some of these otherworlds
but I just seem to have trouble working this I to my
Game View.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2013, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 12:14 AM by alderdust.)
RE: Thoughts on soB
Mutants and other worlds are not my thing why not just keep it western themed? I feel like its resident evil creatures mixed with Indiana jones worlds
10-26-2013, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2013 11:51 AM by Old Dwarf.)
After reading Skolo excellent Thread on BGG
I understand a little more of the inclusion of Giant Robots

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1059610/faq

(I remember an old Gene Autry B movie Serial called Phantom Empire
Gene Autry (Gene Autry) is a singing cowboy who runs Radio Ranch, a dude ranch from which he makes a daily live radio broadcast at 2:00 pm. Gene has two kid sidekicks, Frankie Baxter and Betsy Baxter, who lead a club, the Junior Thunder Riders, in which the kids play at being armored knights of an unknown civilization, the mysterious Thunder Riders who make a sound like thunder when they ride. The kids, dressing up in capes and water-bucket helmets, play at riding "To the rescue!" (their motto).

A chance to become real heroes occurs when Betsy, Frankie, and Gene are kidnapped by the real Thunder Riders from the super-scientific underground empire of Murania, complete with towering buildings, robots, ray-guns, elevator tubes that extend miles from the surface, and the icy, blonde, evil Queen Tika. On the surface, criminals led by Professor Beetson plan to invade Murania and seize its radium wealth, while in Murania, a group of revolutionaries plots to overthrow Queen Tika.

The inhabitants of Murania are the lost tribe of Mu, who went underground in the last glacial period 100,000 years ago, and now live in a fantastically advanced city 25,000 feet below the surface. They cannot now breathe the air at ground level and must wear oxygen masks. (Surface dwellers have no trouble breathing Muranian air.) The Thunder Guard emerges to the surface world from a cave with a huge rock door that swings up like a garage door. Both Muranians and Professor Beetson want to get rid of Autry, so he loses his radio contract and Radio Ranch is vacated

So it hangs together better for me.

Speaking of BGG Threads ZombieDad had a good one
I think it is a great response to the grumblers & FFP hate
bashers. (I'm not sure sure if it's our ZombieDad or not )

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1059923/...rt-this-ks

Also while giving out compliments I want to thank Sarku
for getting this board up so quickly even when is in the
process of running his own KS Campaign.

OD

10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
It does seem a mish-mash of influences but I suppose this gives the frog an excuse to include anything they like. This will include expansions a plenty.

Props to the boss for putting this section up! I'm keeping an eye on this game. I fancy this more than CoPE, IFOS and FanG...
10-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Jason added this from the KS Comments:

Each of the Otherworlds is a ‘big box’ expansion (like Growing Hunger from LNOE) with new enemies, a ton of new Map Tiles, new cards for the new World, and new rules. It is a lot of stuff packed in there. Also the Mission Packs (like the Lost Army) are pretty decent sized as well with new Enemies, a new Objective room type Map Tile, new cards, and new rules.

– The missions are really designed to be stand-alone right now so that each mission is a single session and the campaign is really guided by the character development. That being said, some of the missions will likely be ‘linked stories’ so that you can play them as a series. Not all of the missions have been defined yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

god-this thing is going to be massive!

OD

10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
(10-28-2013 11:14 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  god-this thing is going to be massive!

OD

Sounds like a huge money sink to me...for my wallets sake I will skip this campaign to avoid further expenditures and just stick to LNOE.
10-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Two things I've heard minor complaints about that I personally LOVE:

1) All the extras that will eventually cost you a lot in the long run if you don't pick them up now and instead collect them later.

To me, I LOVE this. Sure, it means I am going to spend tons of money on a board game over time if I want to collect everything. But, to me, collecting is part of the fun. Having all those extras... sure I will have to buy them over time, but it means I will have new things to collect for a good long while. I love knowing there will be something new upcoming. It helps keep my obsession/fun alive and new.

2) The mish-mash Western and Monsters theme.

I definitely get why some people feel this way. The Western theme alone could be pretty cool. As it is, I like Westerns. However, not enough that the Western theme would intrigue me enough to buy it. At least not right away. However, add together the Western theme along with a bunch of random monsters, aliens, and all sorts of supernatural crap, and I am already LOVING the game before even getting a chance to physically get my hands on a single piece. So, for me this really works.

Plus, you have to admit, the monsters and supernatural stuff are sort of Flying Frog Productions' thing. So, it definitely gives the game a very decidedly FFP feel.
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
How strong will the Western theme actually be? All heroes are 'good' and most have access to guns and even dynamite. I doubt you'll be driving a stagecoach or herding cattle down a mine.

So how will the 'lawmen v bank robbers' theme play into SoB?
10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Well if the $500,000 Stretch Goal is reached we get the Town Board which should cover it
(right now we're about $50,000 away from that.

OD

10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Kind of a shame that the Kickstarter's growth has started to slow down a tad bit. Before we were blasting through stretch goals in no time. Now, it has slowed down. That is to be expected, though, I am sure. I am sure the vast majority of people who are going to back will do so within the first few days. I am sure there will likely be some more that trickle in here and there, or even existing backers increasing their amount.

As it is, I am sure we will wind up reaching the $500,000 stretch goal, and probably even several more that they add. But, it was certainly a lot of fun watching them rapidly go by. ;-)