Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timber Peak - First Impressions
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 09:31 PM by StayPuft.)
Timber Peak - First Impressions
So, for those you who have purchased Timber Peak, or have been able to play, I thought it would be fun to get a thread for first impressions.

I don't own it yet, but one of my friends from my gaming group does. He brought it for our gaming night yesterday, and we played. I already LOVE it! I am so tempted to get it (my gaming group is such a bad influence on me, LOL) but I really want to get some expansions for the original game first.

I honestly loved everything about it. I love the new heroes! Ed Baker (who was one of the heroes I drew) is particularly bad arse, but I love all the new heroes.

The new upgrade system is AWESOME! The fires are really cool too. Even though the zombie sculpts are the same, I think it is really neat that they are slightly different colors. They are still green and brown, but a different green and a different brown.

I just cannot rave about this game enough. My only complaint is how hard it is now to wait, because I wasn't planning on getting this for a while since I want the expansions to LNOE first. LOL!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2012, 08:33 PM
RE: Timber Peak - First Impressions
Harsh to do this... buuuut....

i told you so friend...

I've picked Zombicide Abomination Pack...

Now i'm out of cash to get Timber Peak... an even harder wait awaits me... (Strange phrase)

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Fires aye? Is that the same concept as with IFOS? Those things can be devestating Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2012, 10:48 PM
I do not have already purchased the Timer peak set, I do think it is a bit of a shame to let old heroes back in the game and use the same figures of zombies only in a other colour , but the gameplay has promised to be a bit easier than before and there seems to be a bunch of new stuff and cards in it...
09-14-2012, 07:49 PM
(09-13-2012 08:33 PM)j0hnnn Wrote:  Harsh to do this... buuuut....

i told you so friend...

LOL! Oh, I know. I have to admit I honestly have mixed feelings about my gaming buddy bringing all his expansions. LOL! On the one hand, it is awesome getting to try them out, and makes me even more excited to get them. On the other hand, it makes it REALLY hard to wait. It is a lot easier to wait when I sort of don't know what I'm missing. I mean, granted, from being obsessed with the game, I pretty much know everything all the expansions contain.

But, without actually seeing and using them, I don't know them in detail, and don't know what it is like using them. So, that makes it much easier to wait. But, now, we keep using expansion stuff from his copy of the game and it is making it soooo hard for me to wait! LOL! I'm absolutely loving all of the stuff. For another example, one time when we played with his set and I was playing as heroes. I drew Victor and really enjoyed the character.

(09-13-2012 09:06 PM)Emp Wrote:  Fires aye? Is that the same concept as with IFOS? Those things can be devestating Watchmen02

I can't comment as I have yet to play IFOS. However...

****SPOILER WARNING In case you'd rather not have any specifics spoiled for you before you play****

The zombies can sometimes trigger a fire (thematically, obviously they did so accidentally) then, each turn after that, the zombies roll to determine whether the fire spreads, goes out, has no effect, etc.

(09-13-2012 10:48 PM)Onemangang Wrote:  I do not have already purchased the Timer peak set, I do think it is a bit of a shame to let old heroes back in the game and use the same figures of zombies only in a other colour , but the gameplay has promised to be a bit easier than before and there seems to be a bunch of new stuff and cards in it...

Yeah, it would have been cool to see new zombie sculpts, but I can kind of let that pass. The fact that they are different colors is at least kind of cool, and with them being the same sculpt, it does kind of brand them and make them fit nicely with the zombies from the original game.

I guess it would also have been nice to have 6 new heroes instead of 3 new heroes and 3 survivor versions of previous heroes. But, to be honest, I'm kind of in favor of the survivor version idea. I think it is kind of cool, thematically. It is like, these three survive and finally get themselves the Hell out of Woodinvale... only to find that they are facing the exact same problem all over again in their new town of Timber Peak.

I kind of like how it makes it like a sequel. The best sequels usually have characters come back from the movies before them, rather than just an entirely new cast. Plus, at least we did some new heroes. They could always add more later with more expansion packs.

Oh, the zombie cards were pretty awesome too! I don't really remember them off the top of my head without looking, but I recall some of the new zombie cards being pretty bad @$$. I was playing as heroes this time, and the cards I am speaking of were really bad for us heroes... yet I was still LOVING them because they were that awesome!
09-15-2012, 02:26 AM
My wife and I got Timber Peak at GenCon and we love it. Best expansion yet.

First, we've been playing LNoE for a couple of years now. Between us and some friends, we have played all of the expansions and explored the game to a pretty good level.

Our first big play through was three players, myself as the Zeds, my wife and a friend as the heroes. We played the scenario Mountain of the Dead and played only the base game, no other expansions. The game lasted 9 turns out of the ten listed in the scenario.

The first half of the game was the heroes equipping themselves while I was branching out the zeds to attack generators. In the second turn I got a lights out and promptly placed it on the Power Station, blacking out every building except the ones with generators. I also made fire proof zeds in the same turn that fires broke out, a remarkable coincidence.

The second half of the game was a lot of combat, with both zeds and heroes making excellent use of experience points. The heroes consolidated resources around a single hero with a secondary tough hero. The other two heroes were gatherers and zed bait to keep them from the generators.

The whole play was dramatic, with shifts in priority from the heroes to the zeds and back again. The heroes used the fires to throw dynamite at zeds.

In the penultimate turn, there were only a few zeds in an active position but they had the last generator on the ropes but it looked like the heroes were going to win the day until one bad die roll killed the third hero, winning it for the zeds.
09-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Absolutely love the expansion. My friend and I were shocked at how powerful some of the new Hero weapons are, particularly the Police Shotgun and Pistol. The game feels more balanced now combined with the base game as the Heroes have been given some awesome items and cards to work with!
09-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Question about upgrades:

How does the experience work, and how good are the upgrades?

I'm very excited to get TP, and I'm dying to know how the zombie and hero upgrades work. How do the zombies get upgrades?
09-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Heroes and zeds both get upgrades and XP. Experience points are gained by wounding opponents, one per wound. Upgrades cost 3xp (and scale in cost for the heroes).

It is a very good system.
09-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Is there an upgrade system compatible with older heroes, revamping Vanilla LNOE with the new versions, or is it exclusive to Timber Peak Heroes? Also, is the upgrade system unique per hero, or standard for everyone?