Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timber Peak question - Compatable w/Original game?
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Timber Peak question - Compatable w/Original game?
Being as we don't know much about Timber Peak yet, it is entirely possible that nobody can answer this. However, I was curious if anybody may have heard official word, or at least heard rumor as to the answer.

Timber Peak is being labeled as a stand alone expansion to Last Night On Earth. In other words, you can actually play Timber Peak completely independant of LNOE. You could even play it if you didn't own LNOE. So, in that way, it is almost more of a sequel than an expansion.

However, does anybody know if you will actually be able to combine the games in some way? For example, I thought I remembered reading that you can actually combine LNOE and Invasion from Outer Space, and they are two different games. Or, is Timber Peak literally going to be just stand alone, and the games will not be able to be combined at all?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
RE: Timber Peak question - Compatable w/Original game?
You could use all components of both games at same time for instance....

But you could end up with a very odd situation...

Like having 2 Sally's or 2 Sheriff's or 2 Jake's in the same game...

If you pick your heroes randomly...

But that's all i take it...

You get a new town... but L-Shaped Pieces as long you use both decks (because of the pick ups) are fully compatible.

There isn't much to go wrong... except that they should be probably introducing a few more new rules... like the fire rule saw in IFOS...

I think i will play timber peak a few times before merging it to LNOE but once merged, I think i would never do then apart again...

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
(06-18-2012 08:20 PM)j0hnnn Wrote:  You could use all components of both games at same time for instance....

But you could end up with a very odd situation...

Like having 2 Sally's or 2 Sheriff's or 2 Jake's in the same game...

If you pick your heroes randomly...

But that's all i take it...

You get a new town... but L-Shaped Pieces as long you use both decks (because of the pick ups) are fully compatible.

There isn't much to go wrong... except that they should be probably introducing a few more new rules... like the fire rule saw in IFOS...

I think i will play timber peak a few times before merging it to LNOE but once merged, I think i would never do then apart again...

Timber Peak is a stand alone game and can be played with or without the base set of Last Night on Earth, and is compatible with all expansions. So, yes, you can play with everything. There is a rule where if you play with random heroes, and two people choose the same hero, just one is the original and one is the survivor, you would play the survivor version. So, that way it doesn't get weird with two different versions of the same hero.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a feeling this is gonna be hard to maintain with 2 Hero Decks (possibly 3 with IFOS)
06-19-2012, 02:49 AM
(06-18-2012 07:58 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  stand alone expansion

This tells you everything you need, if you're familiar with boardgame terminology.

The first part, 'stand alone' is fairly straightforward - this game can be played on its own, without any need for other sets.

The second part, 'expansion', means that if you *do* have the earlier sets, it's compatible, straight out of the box - no special requirements involved.

In terms of other horror games, this is what Zombies!!! 4 or Nightfall: Martial Law is, as opposed to Zombies!!! 2 or Nightfall: Blood Country. It's a starting point *and* a continuation, instead of just a continuation.
06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the input, folks. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't 100% sure since they were labeling this one a little differently than they had any of the other expansions.

Also, thanks, HikariStarshine, for the explanation. I'm not that familiar with board game terms, so I wasn't aware that the terms were necessarily universal. Good to know that the terms explain all you would need to know. I wasn't sure if it was just terminology that Flying Frog was using.
06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
No problem, StayPuft. I got the sense that you're kind of new to the less mainstream boardgame hobby, so I figured the explanation was in order. Watchmen02

It's a good thing to be aware of those terms, anyways. I know a couple of gamers who were confused when their copies of Carcassonne: The City or Carcassonne: The Castle couldn't be played with Carcassonne, because they'd missed the 'stand-alone' part and assumed expansion.
06-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I would definitely say so. I have always loved boardgames, but I usually don't get much of a chance to play anything that isn't the standard stuff. Life, Monopoly, stuff like that. So, stuff like Last Night On Earth is very new to me. Honestly, this game is like a whole other world to me compared to games like Life. I like boardgames like Life and Monopoly, but I would never become obsessed with them like I am this game. LOL!
06-21-2012, 07:29 AM
SP there is a whole new world now for you, it is like taking the red pill on matrix.
Now you are becoming one of us... gaaaaaaaames....gaaaaames......booooooaaaaard.........gaaaaaaames
06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
(06-21-2012 07:29 AM)argailwall Wrote:  SP there is a whole new world now for you, it is like taking the red pill on matrix.
Now you are becoming one of us... gaaaaaaaames....gaaaaames......booooooaaaaard.........gaaaaaaames

LOL! One of us! One of us! One of us!

I always forget, was the red pill the one that keeps you in the real world (as it was in the movie) and the blue pill was the one that put you back in the ignorance of the fake world the Matrix created?

Because, if that is the case, then in this scenario, I'd take that red pill in a second! LOL! I can't wait to try all sorts of new board games like this, but for now, I just want to play Last Night On Earth A LOT! ;-)