Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timber peak zombies underpowered
11-09-2013, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 04:48 AM by LSD.)
Timber peak zombies underpowered
Finally broke down and bought this. We noticed that the heroes are really powerful especially with all the new upgrades and abilities. It also feels that the zombie deck is missing some important cancel cards especially those that remove remains in play cards. Not sure if this was a design choice or oversite or perhaps Blood in the Forest will balance things out but I was curious if anyone else noticed this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2013, 10:53 AM
RE: Timber peak zombies underpowered
Can't say I really noticed any power shift with timber peak. When we play its probably still a 70% win rate for the zombies regardless of the addition of TP. That could be of course that I'm pretty bad at playing heroes Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 12:38 PM by ForestRunner.)
Similar to Sarge... have a 70% Zombie win rate with TP. Find some devastating zombie cards and tactics in this one.

About 60% usually with "standard" LNOE (ie everything pre-TP).

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
I also noticed TP skews in favor of the heroes. Shuffled together with everything else, it feels about right though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2013, 04:25 PM
To me it still depends on how quickly the heroes can 'tool up' and find weapons.
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
No one noticed there are no cancel remains in play cards like there were in the base game, that seems to be a big problem. So do most of you mix TP with the base game cards or any of the expansions?
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM
In my gaming group we take everything and mash it together. We have every expansion and supplement that is out for LNOE. That being said, losing by running out of cards is never really an option, which is fine by me. I love to have the variety. Anything can happen at any time and that's what I love. Also, something we have been doing awhile now is allowing the zombie player to have 5 cards instead of the normal 4. We have a very strong group of heroes(well most of the time) but giving the zombie that extra card (and we actually give them 6 -3 each - if there are 2 players) makes the zombie threat very intense! Does it make it harder for the heroes? Oh yeah! My feeling though is in the zombie apocalypse, you should be getting overrun constantly and having to band together and strategize to fight back and overcome. By the way 2 zombie players at a total of 6 cards may seem overpowered but when we play with 2, it's usually because we have 7 to 9 players. This probably seems like a lot in comparison to what most people normally play with but we tweak the scenarios and dot rules accordingly. This is where having the extra zombie cards to an extra hero is balanced. There's a lot to play with and we've done a ton of experimenting but I think that this works out really well to give it a fast paced, intense action-horror feel. We've definitely had games where we haven't balanced it as well but it's usually a success. Another thing we've done if the zombie player seems underpowered is to allow them to discard more than 1 card at the beginning of the turn. We've typically allowed them to discard all of their cards in hand and draw new ones. Admittedly that can get a little crazy for the heroes but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Alright, hopefully that gives you some ideas on how you might start to balance things out in your gaming group. Again, it all depends on your group and how they play and how strong the players are on each side. Yeah and luck of the draw at points of course, or roll of the dice. Good luck finding balance in the apocalypse all.

"Sometimes dead is better."
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I played every Timber Peak scenario twice and the Heroes won 50% of the time so I would say Timber Peak is actually more balanced than the base game. Now I've added everything together (base game, Timber Peak and all available expansions and add ons) and it's all good.
11-09-2013, 07:51 PM
(11-09-2013 07:47 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I played every Timber Peak scenario twice and the Heroes won 50% of the time so I would say Timber Peak is actually more balanced than the base game. Now I've added everything together (base game, Timber Peak and all available expansions and add ons) and it's all good.

Did you notice there were no cancel remains in play cards for the zombie player? The scenario we noticed it most was the generator one. Also the zombie upgrades are lame compared to the hero ones. So should we combine everything?
11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I've heard about the balance issues before and it is the main reason I've avoided this game. It sounds like blood in the forest will add all the elements of this expansion and then some.

My main hope is that the expansion focuses more on tactics/strategy as opposed to leaning more on luck of the roll