Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timing of Wounds and Valeria
10-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Timing of Wounds and Valeria
Okay...

Normally, wounds in excess of your Wound boxes are discarded. Valeria heals d3 wounds at the END of a combat round in which she killed a foe.

If she takes 4 wounds, is the excess wound discarded and THEN she heals? Or does she heal FIRST, and then if still over the wound threshold, she's KOed?

I can see it both ways...the literal reading of the rules makes me think it is the former. I also don't think it makes her overpowered, as it doesn't keep her from truly LOSING fights...just keeps there from ever being a double KO with her and a minion.

Thoughts?

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
RE: Timing of Wounds and Valeria
Another vague area:rolleyes: I would play
it as she takes 4 wounds heals 3 & continues with 1 wound.

I've noticed a real lack of Froggers to answer questions
on BGG-must be real busy with the Martians:P

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Old Dwarf Wrote:Another vague area:rolleyes: I would play
it as she takes 4 wounds heals 3 & continues with 1 wound.

I've noticed a real lack of Froggers to answer questions
on BGG-must be real busy with the Martians:P

OD

I disagree- I think if three wounds kills then the 4th wound would do nothing- BUT Valeria's special text would kick in and try to heal her so she can stay around but by then the 4th wound that didnt go on the card would already be gone.

My 2¢
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2009 09:18 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Could well beWatchmen02 I guess absent an official ruling
it just up to us to muddle through.

OD

PS the more I think about this I think Crichton has the right of it.

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry to Necro this thread, but I am re-reading these old rules posts in preparation for facing the Volgovian Nutcracker tonight with some friends.

Is Valeria really able to heal, even if she was KO'd during the fight? I think we played that she must survive the fight in order to heal. So in your case, the extra wound would be discarded, and she would be KO'd. I can't find her card text online, and I don't have it here with me at work, so sorry if the answer is obvious. Thanks for the help. Zombie12
02-13-2012, 03:15 AM
I'm fairly positive there's a thing mentioning it in the FAQ at the back of the something wicked rulebook. I think she IS allowed to be saved by her ability.
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
(10-07-2009 06:34 PM)Tommy Brownell Wrote:  Okay...

Normally, wounds in excess of your Wound boxes are discarded. Valeria heals d3 wounds at the END of a combat round in which she killed a foe.

If she takes 4 wounds, is the excess wound discarded and THEN she heals? Or does she heal FIRST, and then if still over the wound threshold, she's KOed?

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just stumbled upon this. Is this an assumption or statement of fact that "Normally, wounds in excess of your Wound boxes are discarded." I don't find that in any of the rulebooks. What makes it normal? It is blowing me away becase we have always played that all Hits cause Wounds and all Wounds must be resolved. So if 2 wounds KO's a Hero and he takes 5 wounds he must prevent or cancel 4 wounds/hits to stay upright.

If the Hero gets to ignore 3 of them outright and resolve only 1 to stay upright that is a tremendous difference to the way we have have been playing.

Has this been answered officially? Is there a FAQ or Errata?

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
01-05-2014, 09:48 PM
(01-05-2014 08:03 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  
(10-07-2009 06:34 PM)Tommy Brownell Wrote:  Okay...

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just stumbled upon this. Is this an assumption or statement of fact that "Normally, wounds in excess of your Wound boxes are discarded." I don't find that in any of the rulebooks. What makes it normal? It is blowing me away becase we have always played that all Hits cause Wounds and all Wounds must be resolved. So if 2 wounds KO's a Hero and he takes 5 wounds he must prevent or cancel 4 wounds/hits to stay upright.

If the Hero gets to ignore 3 of them outright and resolve only 1 to stay upright that is a tremendous difference to the way we have have been playing.

Has this been answered officially? Is there a FAQ or Errata?

Pg 16 & 17 of the rulebook

Quote:If a Hero has Wound markers filling
all of their Wound boxes, then the Hero has been
KO’d.

Quote:When a Hero loses their last wound (has a
Wound marker filling each of their Wound boxes),
the Hero becomes KO’d. Immediately move the
Hero to the Town Hall space and lay them down on
their side to reflect their KO’d status.

No mention made of additional wounds added to the sheet. Normally, I would say you can't get more KO'ed than KO'ed.

HOWEVER, the text of Valeria's Vampire ability reads:

Quote:Automatically heals D3 Wounds at the end of a Fight Round in which she defeated an enemy (this MAY prevent her from being KO'ed). Immune to Curses.

(emphasis mine) The fact that it says it MAY prevent her from being KO'ed seems to imply there is a chance that it MAY NOT. IF you only filled the 3 boxes & discarded the rest you would ALWAYS avoid being KO'ed, since you would heal AT LEAST 1 Wound.

So, in my opinion at least, the implication seems to be you would have to take/heal them all.

Otherwise it seems it should simply say "This prevents her from being KO'ed".

Going back & checking the rules one last time also yielded this (Pg 16)

Quote:Place a Wound
marker next to the Minion or on the Hero’s Character
Sheet for each Hit scored against them.

After this it goes on to say if they take a number of Wounds to fill their boxes they are KO'ed, BUT the fact that it instructs to you to PLACE a number of Wounds EQUAL TO THE NUMBER OF HITS TAKEN. Seems incredibly relevant to this conversation.

So while it may not often have any bearing (as you will lose them all when you revive, Fully Healed from being KO'ed), it seems you take a number of Wounds equal to the number of hits taken.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
01-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks MoonSylver for confirming I have not been off-base interpreting the rules the way I did.

I don't see anything in the rules that tells you to ignore the "extra" wounds. All Hit dice create Wounds, all Wounds are placed on the character sheet.

I have to say that we are about 40/60 in defeating the various Villains, with the Heroes winning 40% of the time. It seems if we played with this Hero-friendly concept of ingoring Hits the game would become quite a bit easier than what we have been experiencing. With our skill level in the game that would sure feel like a let-off.

Also, other questions come to mind with this. Most recently we played the Nutcracker. His Crushing Bite has you losing an Item or Ally, or taking an additional Hit on each of his to hit rolls of 6. Can I choose that these become Hits and then ignore other Hits?

Here's the scenario: I have two wounds open. The Nutcracker rolls two 6's and two 5's against me. I state that I'll take the 6's as additional Hits, so he has Hit me 6 times. I ignore four of them, and only need to prevent one of the two that land on me to stay upright. I don't see any scenario where I would ever have to lose an Item or Ally to resolve his 6's. I will always have the option to take them as additional Hits that will convert to Wounds that can be ignored.

The way we currently play (having to resolve all Hits/Wounds) if I don't have enough wound boxes open I cannot automatically choose to take the 6's as additional Hits. With two wound boxes open I can absorb the first 6 as two Wounds, but not the 2nd. So if I'm KO'd I'm going to lose at least one Item/Ally. In this scenario I would need to cancel/prevent 3 Wounds and give up two Items/Allies to stay upright (if I apply the 5's as Wounds), or I would need to cancel/prevent 4 Wounds and give up one Item/Ally to stay upright (if I apply one 6 as 2 Wounds), or cancel/prevent 5 Wounds which would save my Items/Allies. It doesn't make sense that I could choose to take Wounds that I cannot resolve.

The Banshee also has an additional effect on her to hit rolls of 6 (lose 2 Investigation or take an additional Hit). The Gargoyle is similar but different because the extra effect is not optional (Stone Touch).

It seems that the game was conceived as all Wounds need to be resolved...and some wires got crossed along the way. But this might have something to do with some players making claims that the game is too easy even in Advanced mode.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
01-06-2014, 01:32 AM
Sounds like you have the right of it. As I say, in probably 90% of cases the extra wounds would really be irrelevant, because you're either KO'ed or not, & if you are it really doesn't matter how many Wounds you took. KO'ed is KO'ed, (I think this is where the confusion has come from), & when you Recover, you're Fully Healed.

BUT, as you rightly point out, there are certain situations where the number of wounds you take is relevant, & have effects beyond simply KO'ing the Hero. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"