Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Townsfolk? More like Heroes!
04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Townsfolk? More like Heroes!
Hello everybody! A while ago I started trying to convert all of the Townsfolk into Heroes, but I never go to finishing all of them. Well, I'm finally done, and it'd be great to know what you think of them, some of which I have changed since originally posting them. I know from another board that the game's creators actually already have Hero versions of all of the Townsfolk lying around that they just haven't shared with us yet, but if nothing else, maybe the features here can give you ideas for things that you can give you own Homebrew Heroes. Hope you enjoy!

COACH PACKER
GYM TEACHER
Teacher - Male
"Save the drama for yer' mama, son. We got Zombies to kill!"
START: GYM
Special Rules:
STARTER - Other Heroes in his space may roll for movement twice and take the higher result.
TACKLE - May Re-roll Fight Die rolls of 1.
[WOUNDED] [WOUNDED] [DEAD]

DEPUTY TAYLOR
THE SHERIFF'S SIDEKICK
Law Enforcement - Male
"Sheriff Anderson… is that you?"
START: POLICE STATION
Special Rules:
COVER FIRE - May start the game with a Revolver. Once per Activation when he misses a target with a Ranged Attack, select one:
- The next Ranged Attack made against that target by another Hero before the end of the Hero Turn gets a +1 bonus.
- The next time before the end of the Hero Turn that another Hero Fights the target, that Hero may roll an extra Fight Die.

DOC BRODY
COUNTRY PHYSICIAN
Medical - Male
"There an old country remedy for Zombies… an AXE!"
START: HOSPITAL
Special Rules:
IMMUNITY - Cannot gain any Infected Markers or be turned into a Zombie Hero.
TREATMENT - As a Move Action, may choose an Infected Marker or a [Remains in Play] Zombie Card on himself or another Hero in the same space and discard it on the D6 roll of 4+.

FARMER STY
THE FARMER
Farmer - Male
"Who's in here? I told you kids to stay outta my barn!"
START: FARMHOUSE
Special Rules:
GET BACK! - When a Zombie would move from an adjacent space, may immediately end that Zombie's movement on the D6 roll of 5+.

JEB
THE GREASE MONKEY
Criminal - Male
"I ain't runnin'… zombies or no zombies."
START: GAS STATION
Special Rules:
COCKY - Starts the game with the Zombie Card Overconfident.
TORQUE - Wounds a Zombie in a Fight as long as he has doubles on any of his Fight Dice. (He still takes a Wound, as normal, if the Zombie wins the Fight.)

LIZZY
SHOPKEEPER
Military - Female
"Don't get all stingy with your bullets. One more clean shot to the head..."
START: GUN SHOP
Special Rules:
ARSENAL - May start the game with a Pump Shotgun.
DOUBLE TAP - Once per Round, may immediately make a Ranged Attack with a Gun at a single Zombie within range beaten in a Fight. This never causes a Gun to run out of ammo or thus be discarded.

MILES
BLAST MINER
Military - Male
"Cover your ears, this is gonna be loud!"
START: TAVERN
Special Rules:
EXPLOSIVES EXPERT - Gains 1 extra Experience Token whenever he kills at least one Zombie with an Explosive.
SAFETY TRAINING - When he would be Killed by an Explosive, he instead takes a Wound. When a Fire starts in his space, he only takes a Wound on the D6 roll of 6 (rather than 4, 5, or 6).

MR. GOMEZ
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Teacher - Male
"Don't think you're getting out of detention just because you're a zombie."
START: HIGH SCHOOL
Special Rules:
DETENTION - During the start of each Hero Turn, may cancel a single Zombie Card on the roll of 5+ (or 3+ if the card is Bickering, Catfight, or This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth and targets at least one Student Hero).

MR. HYDE
THE SHOP TEACHER
Teacher - Male
"Run Billy, Run! I'll handle this."
Special Rules:
CRAFTSMAN - May discard 2 Items at any time to immediately draw a Hero Card or take any Item (except an Animal) out of the Hero Cards discard pile.
PROTECTIVE - On the D6 roll of 3+, may take a Wound in place of a Student Hero in the same space.

SAMANTHA
RADIO DJ
Student - Female
"To anyone that can hear this broadcast... run! Stay away from Timber Peak."
START: RADIO STATION
Special Rules:
BROADCAST - May give up a Move Action to allow another Hero in a Building Space to Search immediately.
LISTENERS - May give up a Move Action to remove a Townsfolk Event card from the Hero discard pile and place it at the top of the Hero deck.
YOUTH - May give up a Move Action to Fully Heal.
[WOUNDED] [DEAD]

"T-BONE"
FOOTBALL JOCK
Student - Male
"Hey, guys, what's up? Did you know there's, like, Zombies out there?"
Special Rules:
ASSIST - Any Student Hero in the same space may roll an extra Fight Die.
COME AT ME, BRO! - When a Zombie would move from an adjacent space, may force that Zombie to move into his space on the D6 roll of 3+.
[WOUNDED] [DEAD]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: Townsfolk? More like Heroes!
I need to print these up and get em mounted.. guess you remove the townsfolk cards from the deck when they are used...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
(04-05-2013 10:46 AM)Twilight_Sonata Wrote:  DEPUTY TAYLOR
THE SHERIFF'S SIDEKICK
Law Enforcement - Male
"Sheriff Anderson… is that you?"
START: POLICE STATION
Special Rules:
COVER FIRE - May start the game with a Revolver. Once per Activation when he misses a target with a Ranged Attack, select one:
- The next Ranged Attack made against that target by another Hero before the end of the Hero Turn gets a +1 bonus.
- The next time before the end of the Hero Turn that another Hero Fights the target, that Hero may roll an extra Fight Die.

DOC BRODY
COUNTRY PHYSICIAN
Medical - Male
"There an old country remedy for Zombies… an AXE!"
START: HOSPITAL
Special Rules:
IMMUNITY - Cannot gain any Infected Markers or be turned into a Zombie Hero.
TREATMENT - As a Move Action, may choose an Infected Marker or a [Remains in Play] Zombie Card on himself or another Hero in the same space and discard it on the D6 roll of 4+.

FARMER STY
THE FARMER
Farmer - Male
"Who's in here? I told you kids to stay outta my barn!"
START: FARMHOUSE
Special Rules:
GET BACK! - When a Zombie would move from an adjacent space, may immediately end that Zombie's movement on the D6 roll of 5+.

LIZZY
SHOPKEEPER
Military - Female
"Don't get all stingy with your bullets. One more clean shot to the head..."
START: GUN SHOP
Special Rules:
ARSENAL - May start the game with a Pump Shotgun.
DOUBLE TAP - Once per Round, may immediately make a Ranged Attack with a Gun at a single Zombie within range beaten in a Fight. This never causes a Gun to run out of ammo or thus be discarded.

MR. GOMEZ
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Teacher - Male
"Don't think you're getting out of detention just because you're a zombie."
Special Rules:
DETENTION - During the start of each Hero Turn, may cancel a single Zombie Card on the roll of 5+ (or 3+ if the card is Bickering, Catfight, or This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth and targets at least one Student Hero).

"T-BONE"
FOOTBALL JOCK
Student - Male
"Hey, guys, what's up? Did you know there's, like, Zombies out there?"
Special Rules:
ASSIST - Any Student Hero in the same space may roll an extra Fight Die.
COME AT ME, BRO! - When a Zombie would move from an adjacent space, may force that Zombie to move into his space on the D6 roll of 3+.
[WOUNDED] [DEAD]

Hi. I think it is a cool idea to use the townsfolk as Heros. Great job with all of the abilities. I have a few comments on the above characters. Do whatever you think is right, but I have some suggestions.

Deputy Taylor - I think that the cover fire ability is a little hard to understand. Being able to pick one of two effects seems a little complicated. I would suggest just making it one of them. I also think that the ability to stop the zombie that he fires at from moving would be a cool ability.

Doc Brody - If the Nurse can heal people 100% of the time, I don't think it would be too overpowered to let the Doctor remove feeling strange 100%. I would suggest modeling this one after the nurse and only letting him do this to other Heros though. Not sure why thematically he should be immune to I'm feeling Strange.
-Also, I am confused as to why he should have to give up a move for a 50% chance of a card cancel. Hero abilities in general are not even considered part of the Hero turn in all of the base Heros?

Farmer Stye - I think this ability lets him stop zombies from moving into his square. Is that what you meant? You might just write to let him knock back zombies that actually do move into his square. A little easier to explain I think.

Lizzy - I think she is frankly overpowered (but her Townsfolk card probably is to haha). The pump shotgun is arguably the best weapon in the game. I don't think any hero should start with it. Adding the ability to shoot 2x without the possibility of running out of ammo seems a little much to me.

Principal Gomez - His ability is a little hard to understand. Why the two different dice rules for specific cards? I think making this one rule fits all to streamline is probably a good idea.

T Bone - I don't quite get his Come at me ability. Is this just to let him break ties if zombie hunger could go either way?

Anyways. Great ideas. Thank you for sharing.
04-06-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 10:49 PM by Twilight_Sonata.)
(04-06-2013 07:31 AM)deepfreeze Wrote:  Deputy Taylor - I think that the cover fire ability is a little hard to understand. Being able to pick one of two effects seems a little complicated. I would suggest just making it one of them.
Yeah, that's sort of how it ended up like this. I had both of these ideas and couldn't decide between the two, so I just made it so he picked one or the other. Maybe you're right and I should reconsider that, though. It is much more wordy than any of the other Hero abilities... Hmm... I guess if I had to pick between the two it'd be the first one? That's the one that makes the most thematic sense, anyway.

Quote:Doc Brody - If the Nurse can heal people 100% of the time, I don't think it would be too overpowered to let the Doctor remove feeling strange 100%. I would suggest modeling this one after the nurse and only letting him do this to other Heros though.
Also, I am confused as to why he should have to give up a move for a 50% chance of a card cancel. Hero abilities in general are not even considered part of the Hero turn in all of the base Heros?
Doc Brody was actually pretty difficult. He was one of the ones that I did a really long time ago but that just never felt quite right. In the end, I admit that I took the lazy way out with this one and made the ability identical to the Hero Upgrade called Treatment, so that's what it is the way that it is. It could be argued that Treatment is a bit of an under-powered Upgrade, but my reasoning for it in comparison to what Becky gets is:
A) While Brody is a Doctor and Becky just a Nurse, I imagine Brody being something more like a medical doctor than a surgeon. Becky is far more proficient in first aid and emergency care while Brody's proficiency lies more in long term medical treatment.
B) With Always Zombie Heroes now being a standard rule and Infected Markers only being able to be removed by this exactly ability (because it's not a [Remains in Play] card), the Immunity ability is actually pretty great defensively, and I don't want to overpower him in comparison to the other Medical Hero.

Quote:Not sure why thematically he should be immune to I'm feeling Strange.
From my understanding of the game's plot line, Doc Brody was actually there himself back in the day when Zombies first attacked the town, and I wanted to give him something interesting to reflect the fact that he's lived through this before. Given his general Medical theme, this seemed like the most logical way to go. In fact, it's a bit of a seed for more possible plot around him, sort of like why I gave Lizzy the Military keyword and Jeb the Criminal keyword.

Quote:Farmer Stye - I think this ability lets him stop zombies from moving into his square. Is that what you meant?
No, the intent of the ability is to prevent Zombies from moving out of adjacent squares. This can be used to stop Zombies from moving into his square, but it can also be used to stop Zombies from moving into other Heroes' squares. I wanted to do this sort of mechanic for him as a bit of a reflection of what his Townsfolk Hero card does. In fact, most of the Townsfolk Heroes I have here have at least one ability that is at least reminiscent of something their Event card can do.

Quote:Lizzy - I think she is frankly overpowered (but her Townsfolk card probably is to haha). The pump shotgun is arguably the best weapon in the game. I don't think any hero should start with it. Adding the ability to shoot 2x without the possibility of running out of ammo seems a little much to me.
I personally think the Pump Shotgun is a tad overrated, but two things to consider are (a) that she can definitely still run out of ammo when using a gun during hear own Ranged Attack phase and (b) that her bonus shot can only target one Zombie no matter what gun she uses. This creates a sort of situation where it'll often be more beneficial for her to not make any ranged attacks for fear of losing her gun in favor of gambling on the Zombie being beaten in a fight, where she can then only target one Zombie in exchange for not worry about ammo loss. If you do think she she's overpowered this way, though, make it so that she can only use Double Tap during her own Fights or remove the part about her not risking ammo loss?

Quote:Principal Gomez - His ability is a little hard to understand.
Really? I thought his was in the running for one of the simplest ones here. He just gets to try to cancel a Zombie card at the start of every Hero Turn. I'm actually still worried that it's overpowered, because every other Hero with the ability to cancel Zombie cards has to give something up for it (such as take a wound or discard an item), though he does have the restriction of only being able to do it once per round and only at the start of the Hero Turn and needing to roll for it.

Quote:Why the two different dice rules for specific cards?
Mostly thematic reasons. Remember, it's not just that it's those specific cards but that it's those specific cards when targeting Student Heroes. Without that extra part, the ability just seems kind of boring to me, not to mention maybe a bit under-powered. I'd think 4+ by default, a 50-50 chance, would be too good for this ability, but the one-third chance offered by 5+ isn't exactly reliable, so the extra thematic part also goes towards making him more reliable in at least some situations.

Quote:T Bone - I don't quite get his Come at me ability. Is this just to let him break ties if zombie hunger could go either way?
Yup, pretty much. He's the bait. He forces the Zombies to go after him, acting as a distraction so that other Heroes that may be close to dying or that are trying to complete an objective can more easily do their thing in peace. He's not going to be a fantastic defender because of his two health boxes, but hey, he's just a dumb jock, right? Plus, if he has another Student Hero like Johnny in his space, the Zombies might actually be in for a world of hurt.

Quote:Anyways. Great ideas. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! I'm glad you like! Watchmen02