Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Traitor mechanic (6 player game)
10-18-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 07:05 PM by ch82.)
I saw this touched on once over at board game geek and I think it might be fun to introduce into a game. My take on it however is a little bit different. ** EDIT it seems like some others on this board have also thought something similar up by looking at old threads so this isn't really that original so sorry for that**

Requires: 6 players

Pick a scenario like any other but in this game you play with 5 hero players. Zombies is always much more fun when you don't have to share with another player anyway.

Secretly decide which player will be the traitor by passing out numbered tokens and whoever draws 5 will be the traitor for the game. Now the thing is that this player is not known by the zombie player at the start of the game so they are not working together. (I imagine the traitor character being someone who went insane or some other thematic insert)

Gameplay continues as normal except whoever is the traitor is actively trying to fail the scenario by whatever means necessary. I imagine the game progressing normally until such time as the traitor eventually makes an overt move such as shooting another character in the back or not playing an event card when it is really needed. Of course once the bad apple is found the others then they will want to kill them off just like they would a zombie hero. A hero killed by another hero does not become a zombie hero unless they have been bitten,etc. Zombie hunger rules still apply even after the traitor has been found out and bonus points to the zombie player if he kills the traitor and all the heroes.

Now the heroes can't totally be in the dark the entire time. They may be able to look at the token of another player to find out if they are good or evil by rolling a 6+ on movement when in the same space as another hero. This special action to check out another player is counted as a free action.

In addition several cards could serve to allow checking another players token. A couple of thoughts

1. I don't trust em - Roll 4 dice and check the token of any 1 adjacent character if at least one 6 is rolled.

2. Old Betsy - At any time, discard to place Old Betsy in any space on the board. No Zombie may move from that space this turn. In future turns, Zombies trying to move from that space must first roll a 5 or 6 to escape. Heroes moving through this space publicly reveal their identity token. When a Zombie escapes or a traitor is revealed, remove Old Betsy from the board.

I haven't really fleshed out the idea yet but I think it could make for a fun addition to the game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2013, 12:07 AM
I haven't been around for a while, so this is a new idea to me, and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
10-30-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 07:36 PM by ekr3peeK.)
RE: Traitor mechanic (6 player game)
I will try this out as soon as I can collect 6 persons! A good twist would be IMO if the traitor would be the zombie master, the one, who summoned all the zombies (like in the Web Scenario). The players now have to kill the zombie master twice, once in human form, then in zombie form.When he is revealed, he also gets the Book of the Dead item(if he has more then 4 items in hand, he has to throw down something else, he can't throw the book), which he can use to have some special powers too, like:

Animate Dead (H) - Roll a D6, move that many zombies one space from anywhere on the board.

Summon Dead (H/Z) - If there are zombies waiting to enter the game, the Zombie Master can roll a D6, on a roll of 4+, he can spawn one or two new zombies ANYWHERE on the board(but not on tiles where there are heroes)

Howl of the Dead (Z) - Roll a D6, on a roll of 5+, wound every hero standing next to the Zombie Master.

(H) means only in Human form, (Z) means only in zombie form, and (H/Z) means anytime. The book can be used once per turn.